ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Miata enthusiasts:

I've owned my super low mile Miata (93 with 55,000 miles) for 2 years now, and have only driven it 5,000 miles. I bought it from my old neighbor, who bought it new in 1993. When I bought it, I transferred all my mods from another 93 I had, and added a 4.3 Type II Torsen diff with Polyurethane bushings. Well, since I've had the car, even though it is in absolutely perfect condition, I haven't really enjoyed it...... because I've had a driveline vibration that I just couldn't get rid of.... I tried changing the angle of the rear end relative to the transmission (and I tried this at least a dozen times!). I replaced the driveshaft with another from a wrecking yard, and then a new one..... to no avail..... The vibration KILLED my love for the car. Right at 55 MPH, it'd start to vibrate, and by 65 it'd be gone. Total killer for my enjoyment of the car..... who wants to compromise like that? Another incidental detail (that I could live with, but my wife couldn't stand) was that the car had a booming resonance and an unpleasant engine harmonic..... I figured, after trying many other adjustments, and even trying to convince myself that I could live with it, I figured that it HAD to be those poly bushings. So, rather than buying some new OEM bushings (at a staggering price per unit), I simply bought another differential housing with the OEM bushings still in it (cost less than new OEM bushings). I installed the sensational 4.3 Torsen Type II in the new (used) housing, and bolted it all back in again. This evening, I took it for a spin, and it is like a brand new car, my friends..... smooth right up to 80 MPH..... and no booming resonance. I could barely contain my excitement that, at long last, I'd figured out this 'joy killer'........ Now, I can't wait to put some miles on this beauty...... and, now I feel like tackling some of the other mods that I'd been putting off, just because the car wasn't fun to drive.... let the mods begin again! If anyone is frustrated by driveline vibrations and excessive NVH (and you've installed polyurethane bushings), perhaps my experience will benefit you...... I'm so pleased with how this car drives (at least for the 5 miles I put on it this evening), that I wanted to share my great discovery with the Miata world! For me, it is like having a brand new car again (and, lest you feel intimidated by a rear end housing swap..... it took around 4 hours over 2 evenings from start to finish). Happy wrenching!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts