ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to put a 1.6 or a 1.8 miata engine in a Rx7 with little to no modifications? I know you can use the rx7 trans but you need to modify the housing to make it fit in a miata. So would it be a straight swap other than the housing to make the miata engine fit the trans and work in the FC. I know it will be slow as **** cause the rx7 weights more and the 1.6 and 1.8 are pretty weak. I want to do this cause it will be easier to pick up a miata engine thats running good rather than picking up a rotary and not knowing if its good or not.

Thanks for any info

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would it work though? Thinking of buying a shell and starting a project.

·
3,858 Posts
There was another guy that was trying to do exactly that a couple of years ago.
If I were you, I would ask him first...
Check miata.net do a search and you should be able to find the thread.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have very good mechanical skills. Some acetalyn gas welding skills. All im worried about is making custom things like motor mounts and such. If all it requires is some cutting and drilling some holes im all in for it. Dammit I just thought about wiring and and electrical stuff. Ugh.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could I convince you to place in a caburated small block instead? Way easier, and you can source more info. Best of all, barely any wiring!
No you can not lol ever XD

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wonder why anyone would want to such a swap... to each his own. ;) It can be done, but with modification of course. You would need an adaptor plate for the tranny, motor mounts, and of course wiring skills.
Yea after thinking about it the wiring would be the only hard part. I think I will be taking up this project seening that you can get a rx7 shell for little to nothing and a miata engine for 200 bucks lol.

·
Registered
159 Posts
One thing to note is that there are are at least a handful of FC RX-7s in the US that have had Nissan SR20DETs swapped into them (at least one FD as well) You may be able to search around and see what needed to be done, putting a BP in would probably be similar.

·
Lit like a BranchDavidian
6,452 Posts
How many of you have seen the old B2000/B2200 trucks with B6/BP swaps? I have actually seen a few. I also know that people swap 13Bs into those old trucks. With that said, I have no more useful information.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts