ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sitting decently low now and plan on going lower and dont want to scrape up the frame rails. I came up with an idea of cutting two pieces of metal, the thickness of the frame rails and also the length. I just wanted to bolt them to the frame so that if i ever hit the frame rails, they dont get bent and scraped to ****. Guys think this is a good idea?:fab:

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Right there's the proven solution with plenty of R&D for a reasonable price but can I make my own? Sure? You can? Why don't you measure your frame rails and fab something up?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right there's the proven solution with plenty of R&D for a reasonable price but can I make my own? Sure?
You can? Why don't you measure your frame rails and fab something up?
thank u

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
until you break something.. and it'll cost you something for the frame rails..
just answer my question and don't worry about the rest.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb and say if you made this thread asking this question, no you can't make a substitution. I assume if you knew how to fabricate things out of metal, you would just do it. I mean, it is probably the simplest fabrication job, bolting/welding some flat tubes of metal to the bottom of the car. I just find it odd to ask if you could, I don't think anyone knows if YOU could or not, so can you?

Plus do you have metal working tools? You'll need cobalt drill bits(expensive drill bits) a brake to bend the angles(expensive), angle grinders or some other means of cutting the metal. Then you also need to source the metal.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm going to go out on a limb and say if you made this thread asking this question, no you can't make a substitution. I assume if you knew how to fabricate things out of metal, you would just do it. I mean, it is probably the simplest fabrication job, bolting/welding some flat tubes of metal to the bottom of the car. I just find it odd to ask if you could, I don't think anyone knows if YOU could or not, so can you?
my plan was a 3/8th thick strip of metal, the width and length of the rails with bolts of some sort.

·
Registered
3 Posts
just answer my question and don't worry about the rest.
mine were all smashed by some a-hole who jacked the car up on them .I just cut em with an angle cut off wheel about an inch down from the floor, then fitted 2x2x.087 wall square tubing left over from my mustang subframe connector project. clamped the originals to the sides of the square tubing and stitch welded. welded ends to subframes,drilled 4 each 3/8" holes thru floor and welded floor to square tubes. NOW much stronger than stock tin foil frame. made my own boss frog arms too.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
my plan was a 3/8th thick strip of metal, the width and length of the rails with bolts of some sort.

Think about that for a second. So frame rails usually bend upwards and crush, right? So you're means of bracing them is to just slap piece of metal on them, still using the frame rail as support. What is this going to solve?

Look at the frame rail supports from FM, v8roadster, boundary, etc. What do do thy all have in common? They don't bolt to the frame rail, they have their own supports that further brace the side walls of the frame rail.

I don't think your idea/design would even be effective. The frame rails walls crush, you are doing nothing to support them, you'll just be drilling holes into them and blocking the drain holes.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Think about that for a second. So frame rails usually bend upwards and crush, right? So you're means of bracing them is to just slap piece of metal on them, still using the frame rail as support. What is this going to solve?

Look at the frame rail supports from FM, v8roadster, boundary, etc. What do do thy all have in common? They don't bolt to the frame rail, they have their own supports that further brace the side walls of the frame rail.

I don't think your idea/design would even be effective. The frame rails walls crush, you are doing nothing to support them, you'll just be drilling holes into them and blocking the drain holes.
makes sense thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
2x2x.087 square tube is stronger than one piece of flat stock. no the 2x2 fits up in between the inside of the originals against the floor

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
costed me 30 bucks for metal , had to get a new roll of wire, and 500$worth of time,lol.
i don't have a welder and haven ever welded in my life. I might just wait and get a set from the above links.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts