ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 293 Posts

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:D
I figured I've finally done enough things with my car to start a page.
I got her on 02/2011, I've been wanting one in BRG for the longest. I had been debating getting an MK3 Supra, an N/A 300zx or a Miata. I used to have a 98' Maxima and i hated working on that engine, so i ruled out the Z without test driving it. My brother in law had three MK3 Supras So I remember driving it around, but my dad wasn't cool with me getting a super old car, and the propensity of the BHG scared me away. I sold my car and found this one on CL, called up Treasure coast Miata and drove 100 miles up to check her out. I was pretty excited; in retrospect, I feel i should have shopped around a bit more, but I think i got a pretty good deal.
She's a 95 "M" Edition, 155K miles on the chassis with 111,000 on the engine.

I neglected to take pictures during most of the work I've done, or gotten done, but whatever.... Enjoy reading.

Driving back was fun, I was totally not used to the amount of noise going on, but i loved it.

First thing I did was install the OEM R-Package front lip, went on without a hitch.
The next week I ordered some pads and rotors from 88Rotors. My old pads were pretty hideous looking, one set was off the bracket and was engraving itself onto the hub.

One morning I caught the temperature gauge going into the hot zone, i babied it till my destination and put the heater on full blast, at the time I had a little internship/ volunteering at a local shop. a pressure test on the radiator showed a leaking water pump... I promptly ordered the parts and saved a shitload of money by doing the labor myself with the guide of a mechanic.

I had changed the Water pump, Timing belt, Cam shaft/ Crank shaft seals, and Valve cover gasket. Obviously I neglected to get pictures of doing the work, but it went fairly smooth.

I sent Mr. Woolery a couple bucks and got some cool stickArs in return.

A week later I got fed up with the stupid lifter tick and changed to Royal purple 5w/30 and was happy with that.

I bought a K&N intake from a member on here, I ended up just installing the filter and selling the pipe to someone else.
somewhere along the first week of owning it the gauge cluster and other back-lighting died. so i drove around like that for like a month... I paid a guy to diagnose it and it turned out to be a relay..

Around that time I bought a Nardi woodgrain from some cool guy on this forum.

And picked up a ton of little things like a gauge cluster hood, tan floor mats and other peices to freshen this up.

I love this little thing, puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. I still need to install my suspension thats just sitting in my trunk, and throw in my sweet ARC power chamber that my brother in law got welded up for me(it had a minor hole)... I'm gonna polish it up, and take steps to avoid it getting messed up again.

Here's the most recent picture of my car

Hope to keep this updated, haha.:whistle:

Skip to page three to see the car in Merlot.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Re: The Green Hornet

great color combo and start! Keep it comin'
Thanks! I also like this color, It's grown on me. But it's annoying how the engine bay and door jambs don't match (This car used to be merlot)

Car looks like it's coming along nicely. Love the seats.
Yeah, seats are neat. I wish the were a little more bolstered along the sides, though.

Today I got around to installing the ARC Power chamber. I'm gonna eventually gonna buy some hood damper riser, but for now i just put the stock on under the intake pipe.
The drive after the install felt nice. Felt like it pulled harder to redline vs. the stock intake crossover tube. Going home on the highway was nicer too, probably just my butt dyno doing it's thing... It's staying though. Maybe some day I'll go standalone to remove the AFM.

Seeing all that clutter makes me sad. But someday I'll have it tucked...

Plans for the near future include:

Spark plugs and wires.. (It misfires while idling)
Install my coilovers.
and possibly polish my hood :fab:

Oh, and I also need to fix my damn end-links. The left rear one lost a bolt a while ago. I don't like under steering when the road is wet :/

·
I have the sack you want to ride.
4,639 Posts

95M is my second favorite NA. I am depressed to see one that's not Merlot. But I suppose that makes the Merlot ones all that more valuable. At least your paint job looks very well done. Nice and shiny.

Those ARC chambers must be made of tin foil. I have yet to see one that isn't mangled to hell. Did it change the intake sound at all?

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

95M is my second favorite NA. I am depressed to see one that's not Merlot. But I suppose that makes the Merlot ones all that more valuable. At least your paint job looks very well done. Nice and shiny.

Those ARC chambers must be made of tin foil. I have yet to see one that isn't mangled to hell. Did it change the intake sound at all?
Yeah, I wanna paint it back some time. debating where to paint it back or do a respray on the current color. The paint looks nice from 15 feet. get any closer and you begin to see lots of blemishes and a shitty job. :(

It looked like this when I got it.
Hole in ARC Power chamber

Sounds a bit more throaty and raspy, but in a good way. I like it a lot, going under an over pass at full throttle makes me think of a race car. I wish this thing had a higher rev limit.
Once I get an exhaust and headers I'll be really happy.

I would hate to be part of the on coming traffic in the summer if you actually end up polishing your hood.
Haha, I was just thinking about that. I wonder if it would really be a bother to some people. :/

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

I suck because I still haven't installed my suspension :/ I need NB Top Hats, and tools. Someone local wanna help me out? haha.

I went ahead and bought a painted valve cover from a CR dude by the name of ComicArtist. Super cool guy to do business with. I realized I haven't changed my plugs since buying this car back in January, and so I took the time to change my oil, spark plugs and the valve cover. Just re-used my old/newish valve cover gasket (Probably under 2000 miles on it) and this is what I got.

My old plugs looked okay, but getting new ones really helped my idle and response. Gonna replace the wires soon too. Just not sure which set I'm going to go with.

This week I hope to be ordering a new soft top from Rspeed. Some local dude wants to charge 450 to install a shitty vinyl top :/

That's about it for now, haha.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
370 Posts

That valve cover looks pretty good! lol I kinda wish it would have fit on mine.

I'm feeling the color. I dig the tealish.

What kind of suspension are you going to go with?

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)

Ideally I'd be tucking tire. But I live in the real world, and I'm a pussy and this is my only car.
Therefore I plan on lowering it an inch in the front and an inch and a half in the back.

These are Tokico Blues which are made for an NB with some EGAY sleeves and NB top hats.
I just realized that I'm missing some bump stops. I've gotten this set up for pretty cheap but I prefer to not keep on spending money on it, so do you guys think I'll be okay without bump stops?

Another thing is that I'm not entirely sure I've mounted the top hats in the correct manner.
http://y8spec.com/suspension/NB_mounts_to_NA_v1.gif but I'm a noob so I don't know :/

Also, I've just gotten my new Rspeed soft top and a Eunos nose badge installed, and I'm pretty happy with my car.

Thanks for reading. I'll go take some pictures of my car now that I washed it.. haha

*This is how I want my car sitting more or less

1 - 20 of 293 Posts