ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I'm normally a lurker, but I wanted to catalog my "build" (if you can call it that) here because I'm currently fighting a cold and it seemed like a great idea at the time. Mostly, be warned that this is going to be a very tame, compromise track/uncomfortable-DD build.

Anyway, lights, camera, and all that...

(Not really, I was awful but the car was a super reliable track slut).

This was a bit of a bummer, but it was a rust bucket and I was stupid enough to gut it and pull the AC system. I regretted that the minute I started driving across the state in summer to hit up track events. I also ghetto rigged a ton of things, but I ghetto rigged them so well they never broke or started electrical fires, so I always left them as-is. Oh well, doing it better this time, per the heading.

So I put it on CL and found a nice local dude that wanted to convert his SR5, which was the best use I could imagine for it. With the proceeds I bought my old roommate's Miata (bone stock, but with more than a few miles on it — 150k+). So she's old and rough, the engine bay was covered in oil, and the clearcoat is absolutely trashed... at least I can't make it any worse :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The suspension must have been original, because it felt like it wanted to do an aileron roll if I took a turn over 15mph. So, with some left over cash from my Corolla's sale, I bought some FM VMAXX's (no baller status to be found here, possibly ever):

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And then I wanted to have just a tiny bit more fun before doing the responsible stuff, and bought the same. fucking. wheels. everyone. has. But they're still new to me because this is my first Miata :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Brace yourselves, gentlemen:

I made no less than 7 orders from Arlington in the 2 months that followed step 2, totaling 72 seriously boring items. Things like a coolant hose kit, timing belt kit, a 1.8 OEM clutch (had no plans for boost at the time — ooh, a clue?), **** tons of gaskets, shims, hydraulics, rubbers, bushings, blades, plugs, PCV valves, pulleys, and bolts. Oh, and a replacement soft-top, and the light-weight 1.8 flywheel from FM.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I also got some really neat IR wobble sockets (seen above) and some random wobble extensions. Combined with an impact wrench, totally saved my ass during the clutch install (I think I'm a relatively old man around these parts).

Oh, this is the impact wrench, it's a right angle low profile dealy. Doesn't have a ton of nut busting torque, but it has a little extra oomph if you take the 90psi max rating to mean under load.

Super boring video, sorry, I was excited:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And then I figured out a method I like to give the car "mad vert" while I was busting my ass down there. I ended up using 3 laminated cuts of 2x4 and some angle brackets so it wont slide off my jack, and then slid some giant ass 6-ton jackstands underneath:

Oh yeah, I also had this shop light fixture that's been laying around, and I figured out it could mount perfectly (and quickly) to my hood when wrenching. You can see it above.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another boring update, but I got to say the phrase "MEGA ANAL" :naughty:

After talking with Tom at Bethania (Nice dude!), I picked up a "HDHCHTM2" if I spelled that right. And then I spent a bunch of time doing real anal cuts on the parcel shelf with an air cut-off and a jigsaw, even though I'll probably never see it again once the carpet goes back on (Exhibit A and B).

Last post for tonight, and you're all mostly caught up (on not much)... But I did get a bunch of packages today with bona fide cool stuff, but I'm too sick to go in the garage and open up boxes, even though I REALLY should go drool over one.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Thanks fellas! To be honest, I'm totally jocking this guy's style: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112578 which is an epic, epic thread on GJ and to I think he does it way, way better than I. I am trying to mix things up a bit to not be a complete rip-off jackass, though... So hopefully this can be fun.
I like yours a lot better, his reminds me of a pause in a commercial. Yours reminds me from a movie where the info (like location) pops up, but its somewhat transparent, and compliments the picture. Good job on the editing and the build process!

·
Registered
284 Posts
good ****. Entertaining to read and look at. Subb'd.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks fellas!

No progress to report since I'm sick and all, but I finally crawled into the garage wearing a sleeping bag and took some photos of the new toys:

Big thanks to this guy:
( brontosaurus ) for being an awesome seller... easily one of the best I've ever done business with on any internet forum.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
stephen0p0g's avatar must've been stuck in my head:

I had one of these in the Corolla and I never had to worry about water temp again. I'll be throwing this in with the full coolant hose kit from Rosenthal parts so I don't have to worry about any surprises later*... and I've already done the "cursed water plug" in the back of the head.

*Did you know there are 9 hoses that transport coolant in an NA? I sure as hell didn't!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I like this.

Careful with those air ratchets. They can smash your hand real quick, but you probably knew that.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts