ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys..since im starting to make some progress with my '95 Montego lately i figured id start my build thread :)

first off..the first day i got it..had the PO drop it off since i had yet to learn to drive a standard trans..it had 103,xxx miles when i got it..has kenwood door speakers with a second set of tweeters up by the triangles as well as the Kenwood HU..besides that though, the car was completely stock and unmolested :haiguyths:

there first photo together haha

the very first thing i did was get rid of the center console and tombstone..the PO had put some really gross looking faux wood stuff from wal mart on them and i wasnt feeling it so i promtly found out about Project-G and got a used combo from them..cant find one of the tombstone but yeah..

then i went on to purchase and install a GV Rep lip i got off an eBay seller and was really suprised with how well it fit considering the price..oh and i also removed the turn signal housings..really because i saw a red NA on here that looked amazing without them so i mimicked and loved it :)

then i kind of just drove it for a while until i started to research more and see more and more Miatas and kind of got a feel of where i wanted mine to go..so i picked up some 527's 15x8 +0..i was warey of the fitment not working in my favor but the fitment thread promptly alleviated that..
this is what scared me initially haha i know this is at full droop and all but i thought there was no damn way..

i didnt have money to drop on tires for a while but as soon as i had saved up just enough..this happened :cry2:

sooo i took the 527's and got yokohama ast's mounted..195/50/15's to be exact

i then started researching suspension components around the Miata community and thought id go for a temporary H&R Spring setup for the time being..chose those over the racelands i had read so much about ;) the H&R springs are advertised as a 1.5 inch drop with a stiffer rate than the stock springs so i thought wtf why not for now..

install went well..took me 2 days because it got dark so damn fast and i had work so i had a reverse rake look going on for a minute but fixed it asap..aannndd

thats where it got me..satisfied for now i suppose..

after doing so..i did more and more reading and what not and purchased a roll bar off craigslist..was kind of worried when it wasnt a hard dog or boss frog or anything id heard of but went and took a look anyways..upon arrival i was convinced it was a solid piece :D the dude, Ivan i got it from, has a fabrication shop hes started and made the roll bar and was coming up with a new design for a hardtop he had and didnt need the soft top specific one anymore..

roll bar can be seen here
http://infinit-fab.com/collections/catalog/products/copy-of-miata-double-diagonal-roll-bar
while installing..

fit was great aside from the 1.8 harness getting in the way..apparently the 1.6 one is a bit thinner and easier to get out of the way..

oh and somewhere in there i got a NRG deep set steering wheel, NRG QR and a boss dakalei hub..i had the NRG hub when i had the setup on the trans am but figured id try a cheaper replacement for the time being..

it sits to close to me, i think, and im only 5'9" so that probably doesnt help..so i think in the near future im going to end up just mounting the wheel directly to the hub to reduce the push..

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Mikey's '95 Montego..

as you can see in the above photo, the stock drivers seat was thrashed and needed either a cover or a new seat entirely..sooo more research and reading ensued..after sitting in a few freinds cars, i landed on the Sonic Motoring VS3 (Bride Rep) and mounted it directed to the stock rails with the L brackets that come with the seat..

i know i know, stock belt with a bucket is no good..trust ill fix that asap..getting a 5-Point camlock Crow Harness soooon..

for christmas, my brilliant girlfriend got me a new shift knob and a FM Front Tow hook..(tow hook hasnt been installed yet)

i also got some Project-G vented windows from a friend but no pics of those yet..

then last night and the night before, i bought a strut tower brace and APR Carbon Fiber mirrors, both on the cheap, i think....haha

with those 2 things, i also have a set of OEM side winkers i got off a member from another forum and a new valve cover gasket waiting to go on..the cars currently at a shop in Northridge getting the clutch kit i bought installed since the one that was on it was slipping and the pilot bearing was rattling like a mofo..its expected back tuesday but yeah thats pretty much where im at :D

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Good progress so far Mikey..I remeber seeing your car completly stock at the IE meet. I love the mirrors and the race seat, awesome look!

Hope to see you on Sunday again!!

Also - do you want to sell your stock wheels?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Oh ok, what parts you lookin to trade? I really want hollow spokes for daily driving duties, my daisy's are ugly.

Do you still have a hook up on clutches?

1 - 20 of 183 Posts