ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
I wanna go fast
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, some idiot decided to hit my girlfriends corolla last week and since we're pretty sure its totalled, we are looking for another car. Right now the top car on the list is a 2002 mini Cooper. What do you guys think about the mini and do you have any suggestions/recommendations on what to look for?

·
I will find you. And I will kill you.
3,212 Posts
My sister had a first gen Mini Cooper S for a while. Drove nicely. Rear seats are useless except for very small kids or people you hate. Beyond that I'd say just look for the usual, good condition with maintenance records if possible.

·
Accepting donations.
3,366 Posts
Powersteering fan failures in the 02-03ish. My friends pump about caught fire.

·
I wanna go fast
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She's a real estate agent (devil) and she needs a back seat for clients.

·
Great scott!
293 Posts
Stay away from cvt and 5 speed midlands coopers. The trannys fail all the time. 05+ coopers and any S newer than 03 is a good buy.

The power steering failure is only an issue on early cars and most have been repaired if they went into a dealer at any time.

Really, any 05+ MINI is a safe bet. I've had 3 now with zero issues.

·
I wanna go fast
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you. She has her heart set on a BRG metallic 04 non s. I'm going with her soon for the test drive and inspection. Hopefully I can talk her into getting an S.

·
I wanna go fast
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
True but if you get out of a mini, every property will look huge :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Try to avoid 07-08 S'. There is a common problem where the timing chain fails and parts of it end up in the oil pan, some needing for the whole engine to be replaced. There isn't a recall for it so id highly advise you to stay away from them unless theyre under extended warranty..

This happened to my sisters recently, luckily we're still under warranty and the timing chain/tensioner got replaced with a extended warranty. On cold starts the car will have a VERY rough idle.. it almost sounds like a tractor. Be sure to check that out when test driving some Mini's.

The rear seats aren't too bad, as long as the front seats arent pushed all the way back a full-sized adult should be able to sit back there, just a little tight. Besides that, theyre very fun cars!

·
I wanna go fast
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah my gf is short. So am I. She is only 5'2" . Her seat will most likely be all the way forward. The back seat is going to be used for her clients kids mostly. I doubt they will have a gripe about it.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
I hear clutch jobs are $$$ (that is if you take it somewhere). I've had some fun times in s's and JCW's though. Neat cars.

·
I wanna go fast
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
She lucked out. I'll be doing all of the service work.

·
Kony For President
2,036 Posts
I would have to say no if she will be using it to carry clients around. People usually go house shopping in pairs, so someone is getting stuffed back there at some point. If I was asked to "hop-in" to a Mini by someone who uses their car for carrying people around for a living, I'd have to pass and I'd question their decision making skills.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I drove an 03 mini not too long ago, it was fun. only thing I didn't like about it was the shifter

·
I <3 NY & Hate you
995 Posts
I am not a large person by any sorts (5ft 9) and it is to small for me to sit back there for anything more than around a block. A co-worker has one and I tried to get in the back and after stuffing myself in it I only lasted like 30 seconds.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts