ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently picked up this NA as a daily driver/weekend warrior. My plans for the car are to track it once I take care of certain necessities. I named her peppermint, after the york peppermint patties and the hotties that eat'm in the commercials.

Current Plans are as follows:

<=-*~.~*-=>Maintenance<=-*~.~*-=>
Timing Belt (Miles: 188K) 10192012
Water pump 10192012
Spark Plugs 10192012
Engine and Transmission Oil Change 12082012
Valve Cover Replacement 10192012
Professional Alignment
Wheels/Tires 12092012
Bushings 11252012
Bodywork and professional paint
Shifter Rebuild 11102012

<=-*~.~*-=>Mods<=-*~.~*-=>
Bucket Seat 10132012
Steering Wheel 11172012
Shocks/Springs 11252012
Flyin Miata Front Swaybar 12082012

Items will be dated as completed.

For your enjoyment, my Subie build thread on SCS:
http://www.socalsubies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4203&page=27

Pictures for your enjoyment:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welp...I got a new trunk lid. I need to get the latch aligned so it actually closes properly, but it's better than having a bunch of holes covered with electrical tape.

The stock seat bottom bolsters were also so worn from some dude that sat on them. I ended up putting in the bucket seat from the Subaru since I decommissioned the Subaru from track duties. Once I get a proper roll bar, this thing will start seeing some track time.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Did a compression test and did the timing belt last night.

This restoration project is a bit funner than I expected.

Big thank you to a good friend of mine who helped with the timing belt. The work would've probably taken a good 8 hours if he weren't there.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not a bad start, check those rockers for rust!
Rocker panels are good...at least I feel they are. There is rust on the car though, but not much in hidden areas. I'll be sanding down and applying primer on the rust spots when I have time. Then I'll either do the rustoleum roll on paint or full on plasti-dip the car. Still deciding...

We're twins!

I just bought my car last weekend and have been slowly fixing her up as well, I'm going to make a build thread once I put on my coilovers today.
Good stuff, be sure to take a look at your bushings as well. 20 years is a long time on rubber bushings. I found a complete set of polyurethane bushings on amazon for $200 shipping included.

·
My toilet water goes the other way.
2,313 Posts
Broooo wrap it :) wrapping is cheaper, and will **** up 90% of the paint 90% of the time

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We'll see, the cosmetics are really up in the air. My main concern is the suspension...to which case, my next update:

I finally found the time to press the prothane bushings into the arms. Another big thank you to my buddy for coming to help me out.

I have to replace the ball joint boot in the front upper arms, so I'm picking up some from the dealership tomorrow. I won't get around to the balljoints until Friday though. I'm hoping to get the arms in this weekend so I can get the car aligned finally. I haven't gotten an alignment since I bought it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Jim...yeah man, the WHOLE suspension system is basically getting a face lift, minus the swaybars.

Yesterday, I went over to Lowes and picked up some hardware to make a bushing tool. The DIY link for materials can be found here:
http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/86-diy-how-writeups/43140-bushing-swap-5-tool-no-fire-needed.html

This is how it's set up:

I gotta say...if you want to pop out some of your bushings and you're in the area, let me know because I'll do it for you for a few beers. It's surprisingly easy and it keeps the structural integrity of the actual arms with very little risk to bending them.

However...I didn't do the arms today because I was too busy doing other stuffs.

I bought a momo hub for the steering wheel I bought, it requires me to do some modifications to the clock spring though, so that's what I did for the better part of the day. If all goes well, the steering wheel should be in tomorrow.

Just now, I rebuilt my shifter because there was tons of slack and play that I could possibly mis-shift if I weren't careful. Pictures below:

-Before-

-After-

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Installed my Sparco steering wheel today.

I have a momo hub, so I had to do some modifications to the turn signal canceler. It doesn't seem to work right, but I'll fix that when I get my quick release. For now, I just wanted a smaller steering wheel on there because the OEM one was rubbing against my legs. The horn isn't hooked up because I don't know if I'd be hooking it up right, and I didn't want to risk the horn going off and staying on at 11PM at night. Not only that, but after helping my Dad with the water cooler all day, taking the family out to watch "Wreck it Ralph", and going to my younger cousin's birthday party, I was pretty freakin tired.

Next up will be control arms, NB Bilsteins w/ lowering springs, tie rods, and alignment.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Billy's should be in tomorrow. Which means D-Day is Friday to install everything. I picked up steering rack hardware yesterday as well, and lower ball joints...I'm not really one to want to be a gearhead, mainly because I'd rather drive the dang thing...but I gotta admit, this Thanksgiving will definitely be fun.

Also, although the steering wheel was installed correctly, there were some minor changes that need to be made. First off was that the hub was a short hub, so the wheel sat really close to the column. Everytime I would turn, the turn signals would go off because my hand would hit the levers. To which case, I made it a priority to pick up a QR and Lock...since the car doesn't have an alarm.

I also need to dremel the steering wheel canceler more so it actually cancels after turn completion. As it sits right now, it drags against the clockspring.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts