ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, thought id pop up a thread to show you guys some of the things were up to :)

Were using a green weave carbon for our parts, consider it our 'trade mark' :p
We have been given a bunch of tasks to perform over the next month or so.. One of which is a k11 Roof skin. We will be sponsoring this little k11 in an up and coming time attack when the car is complete.

k11 Micra Pick up truck, powered by a CA18DET. First up is the roof.

Thats me in the yellow hat :p

This is only the first layer so far.

Back to work on this tonight! :D Plan will be 3 layer skin which will replace his current roof.

We are also working on some Work Meister S1 centers.

Then we have an FC3S cooling panel to make, then the k11 wide body front fenders and lastly a bonnet ! :D All go go go!
Thought id just let you dudes know :) Were wanting to get our own MX5 parts made including a plug cover were in testing! :D

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cf on top of already existing roof skin, the ultimate in contradictory technology. Nice
Sorry to confuse you. The OEM roof will be cut out and replaced with the roof skin.

*EDIT - I even said above "Replace his current roof" why you guys so jumpy sometimes?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Heres some **** photos of the plug cover.

The finish is not really.. show worthy :/

Made this from scratch, still got alot to do on it though :) Its not finished.

Some more pics. Here is some of our moulds and carbon sill plate.

Another plug

Testing different materials :)

·
ガラーズ・フ&#
2,125 Posts
looking forward to seeing your progress! I'm going to play with CF a lot during this year myself (overfenders for my NA, trunk, front wings etc.) so I hope I'll learn something from this thread :)

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would be more than happy to help if I can George! Or even point you in the direction of the guys who help me :) Look forward to your progress too man! I just enjoy making things really lol.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Very impressive. Those wheel centers look like they would be a b*tch!

Are you vacuum bagging everything or just doing a wet lay up? That's intense if you aren't using a vacuum bag. How the heck are you getting it pulled tight? What are you using for your core? I've read heavily into this stuff, but just never got off my butt to make anything.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm, We are finding things easier as we go. Its a learning curve for sure :D

Yup we have a vac pump set up for bagging larger pieces. :) We are using the bagging process for the sill plates atm. We are also wet laying other parts simply due to cost and temps. We have 2 storage heaters now as we were working in -7' temps at one point!!! Made work impossible :( so things have been delayed with curing.
Back to work now though :)

·
Mostly Harmless
1,540 Posts
I'm liking the trademark color. :)
Be sure to keep us updated as more things are finished up!

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That sounds like a good idea! I'll look into the costs involved. We're still leaning techniques and building methods of doing certain things so with a boot (trunk) you would need to skin the top and
Skeleton then use a layer of carbon to bond them together. With this method it should make
It really strong and rigid but still light weight!!

Next thing up will be fridges and prepreg carbon for perfect amounts of resin so it's super strong!
Our roof is going along amazing. Second layer down
Tonight, tomorrow we'll pop it off our mould shape it up and skim a third layer in this technique to retain the strength and epic finish from the green!

·
Motorboat Captain
9,990 Posts
Cf on top of already existing roof skin, the ultimate in contradictory technology. Nice
Stfu.

CF radio and shifter surround puh-leeeeeze!!!!

And CF door sills.

For an NB.

Kthxbai.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well we popped the roof off the mould and begun to shape it.

Before anyone says, the metal roof wasnt straight at the rear :p not our piece haha.

Just some off cut.

Obviously this isnt the final finish, only another stage.

We got the heaters on it to try and warm the room up some.

·
Mostly Harmless
1,540 Posts
Looking good so far!

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Little update.

When this layer dries, we shud be golden to get the final one skinned! :D Cannot wait to get this roof out of the garage haha :D Nah but its been fun, just time consuming. :)

(p.s. this is still not the top layer, so scraches are sound.. the surface is like a baby's cheek.. super smooth!)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts