ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WELL, today i was getting on the freeway and i pushed the car and i pretty much redlined it on 3rd but i misshifted into 2nd instead of 4rth...
as soon as i heard the rear tires squeak and the engine rev higher i stepped on the clutch. I didn't feel a loss of power or anything but after a while I'm not sure if i smelled a slight burning smell from either the car in front of me or mine but it went away pretty quickly. I pulled off the freeway and got to a gas station to be safe. The car idled fine, really didn't feel any different and no weird smells once i popped the hood. When I went back on the freeway i pushed it hard again just to see if there would be a loss in power or anything weird.

Could there be something i could have damaged that is not apparent? Is it one of those, it runs fine still so it should be fine just don't do it often? I didn't see how high the tachometer went up since i kicked in the clutch as a reflex as soon as I heard the revs go up, but when shifting quick you do just disengage the clutch quickly.. Thanks for any help or past experience i can get.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
You're probably fine. You have to either get really unlucky or royally screw up to hurt a stock b6/bp. I've seen north of 8 more than a few times grabbing a early 2nd gear downshift.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it scared the crap outta me man. And after it happened, as i praying nothing went wrong, a freakin spider was on my windshield/dash. wasnt even a tiny one, and it was like white. definitely worse and scariest drive home ever.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
I know the feeling. Keep driving, listen for anything odd, but eventually you'll get some confidence back and forget about the incident. These are quite stout motors..

·
Hide yo kids hide yo wife
6,286 Posts
^ agreed. When I first got my car, it saw north of 8 twice. 5th -> 2nd isn't a fun shift! xD

Our motors are pretty beefy. If you haven't had the timing belt replaced, you could do that (for peace of mind), but I doubt it damaged anything.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow mmkay this is good to know. makes me feel not as tense about it. just got timing belt, water pump, timing tensioner, and all gaskets and seals changed less than 200 miles ago

1 - 10 of 10 Posts