ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Supporting Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Miata and I'm noticing that the brake fluid is on the low side (a little bit above the low marker line). I want to top it up but I'm not sure what fluid it currently has in it. Can I just buy some DOT 4 brake fluid and top it up for now?

I'm planning on doing a whole brake job with SS lines, pads and fluid flush but it will take me some time to get the parts together so I'm just wondering if this is something that I can do for now.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Well what happened is some asshat made brake fluid too complicated. The have DOT 3 and DOT4 which can both be mixed.. But then they had DOT 5.1 which was a non-silicone based fluid and could be mixed with the DOT3 and DOT4 because they have the same chemical properties. However DOT 5 cannot since it is silicone based. The DOT3 and DOT4 don't play well when mixed with the silicone. The DOT 5.1 was used in a lot of ABS systems and bikes so it became popular.

Here..Let me explain it more clearly with this graph..

·
Registered
945 Posts
Lol, think I get it now
Haha, I'm sure someone will chime in on the EXACT reasons, but my explanation is a general guide to the fluids. DOT 5.1 isn't that common in the stores and DOT 5 is pretty new. Just make sure you flush the system before swapping fluids (<lol) or doing a full brake job.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts