ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are these te same? Will a mk1 fit into a mk2. I know this may seem sill but really need to know. Cheers

·
Registered
35 Posts
Same. I'm convinced it's a more common than it should be on mk2s/ NBs?! Hella pissed about it, and have tried breakers with little luck. :/

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Same. I'm convinced it's a more common than it should be on mk2s/ NBs?! Hella pissed about it, and have tried breakers with little luck. :/
same here i also tried a mazda 323 barrel. they are the very same except the bore of the steering colum is different, i found this out the hard way...

i might have found one here.. have you tryed ebay?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not yet, hoping to hear back from someone on nuts and a breaker.

Seems to only effect NBs?! :(. I'll stick with a screw driver for the moment...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Anyone in the US having this problem/ tried a mk1 barrel??

Simon, have you managed to remove the key barrel from the mk2 or are you going to do a full lock set swap??

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i got this sorted today...

i will do my best to explain so bare with me and ask any questions

so first i went off and bought a hole new (second hand) ignition barrel/cycliner with key and electronic switch.

i then removed my old one and compared they were identical, (note: the one i bought was from a mk2 nb 1998 and i have an nb 1999.)

now because the keys are all coded and needs the same key to send a signal to the matching ecu i had to remove both lock and key from the barrel. this involved drilling out all the little pins that are around the cylinder there are 4 of them. i did this on both. then swapped over my key and barrel into the unbroken cycliner, i then replaced the bits i had drilled out with screws with thread lock and used the same ignion with and put it all back in and it works.

Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Cool, I had removed mine when it first went and had a goood look at it... I couldnt see how to remove the actual key section, but I did find a way of re-coding, so it wouldn't be too bad if I had to change the lot.

I think I'd be tempted to do as you've done if all it takes is drilling out the pins. I'm definitely tempted to find out if the mk1 and mk2's are similar in that case.

Interestingly, I know of three NB's with this problem recently - all are 1999's.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool, I had removed mine when it first went and had a goood look at it... I couldnt see how to remove the actual key section, but I did find a way of re-coding, so it wouldn't be too bad if I had to change the lot.

I think I'd be tempted to do as you've done if all it takes is drilling out the pins. I'm definitely tempted to find out if the mk1 and mk2's are similar in that case.

Interestingly, I know of three NB's with this problem recently - all are 1999's.
believe me its not as easy as that, there are many small pieces when you do get it out so be sure to take it all in one piece and quickly put it into the new casing that you are using..

the way i did it seemed easiest, all that coding keys **** with ecus can be a real pain..

thats mad 3 different nbs? praying it doesn't happen again took me ages to find a good lock casing..

let me know how you get on

·
Registered
35 Posts
Simon87, do you have any photos of either of the barrels apart? I understand I'll need to get stuff swapped over quickly and carefully, but I'm intrigued to see what I'm up against?!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Simon87, do you have any photos of either of the barrels apart? I understand I'll need to get stuff swapped over quickly and carefully, but I'm intrigued to see what I'm up against?!
i dont man sorry, i did it fast and never took photos but its not that bad but just make sure to remove it from the casing very slowly getting someone else to help you and have the new casing to throw it into ready, there is a little spring in it also that just sits in the end on it so be wary of that also...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Cool, no worries - I've asked on Nutz for pics and will try to get measurements. I'll feel happier if I can get a mk1 version to work as I am still convinced the mk2's version is less well built... will report back with any findings. Thanks for your help so far Simon, its appreciated. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've got two people in Ireland, three in England and two in Scotland so far... I'm sure there are more people that have suffered this. I am trying to establish whether it was a specific batch as three of those cars are definitely '99 cars. One of those three is an import RS though, so it must effect non-UK cars too?? I am starting to wonder if its a RHD thing somehow?

Believe me, it is very irritating. I'd like a dependable solution ideally, if I didn't know how to wield a screwdriver - I would have been stranded when it happened. :(

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i find it strange that no one from 'merica has answered you guys, but i've never heard of this happenin here "across the pond".
i also find this weird.. haha

I've got two people in Ireland, three in England and two in Scotland so far... I'm sure there are more people that have suffered this. I am trying to establish whether it was a specific batch as three of those cars are definitely '99 cars. One of those three is an import RS though, so it must effect non-UK cars too?? I am starting to wonder if its a RHD thing somehow?

Believe me, it is very irritating. I'd like a dependable solution ideally, if I didn't know how to wield a screwdriver - I would have been stranded when it happened. :(
odd that there all 99 cars, hmm i have a 98 ignition coloum casing in my car now so please god this doesn't happen again...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Only three of them are confirmed as 99 cars - two of those are mine and yours lol... will try and find out the rest but got bored of googling earlier. :) The other 99 car is 'Frank' on mx5nutz - his is a JDM RS though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts