ClubRoadster.net banner

421 - 436 of 436 Posts

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #422
AWW YEAH! Finally got some custom gauges to post about!!

This one was a custom order for some classic looking gauges with a Montego blue-ish background. This is not an easy request. A CMYK printer cannot print a paint color like Montego. But I tried my best. I'm quite familiar with the blue/green shade. I bleed Montego, after all.

My camera really struggled to capture the color correctly. My eyes and the back of the camera never agreed. I photoshopped a bit to try getting the color right on the screen, but could never quite do it. The gauges are a rich blue with hints of teal and green.

The design is a highly modified Version Fighter. I edited the Fighter scale heavily and pushed it out to the edges. The font was a classic looking one that I had in my collection.

This shot gets the background color somewhat close. And it shows the vintage minimalism of the design.

Night mode! White LEDs and white lighting. This is my favorite combo and the lighting setup that gives the highest quality results.

Such a great order. Thanks Bayley!

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #426
You guys have no idea what's about to smack your eyeballs around...

NYANCAT GAUGES!!!

The owner liked what I'd done with the MLP set and wanted something similar with Nyancat. She supplied me with some sample Nyan-art since I wasn't really up on my Nyan-trivia. I went to work.

I brought up my layout template and drew a Nyan with rainbow streaking across the tach and fuel gauge. A few stars and the right dark blue made these really pop. Then I dropped a scale on and added some rainbow magic to the fun end of the tach. It was all coming together.

Since they're NB gauges, I got to have fun with the high beam and check engine lights. :)

The speed/temp gauge had a few different versions. One had a small NYAN streaking out of the cloud's rainbow vomit and across the two gauges. It was cute, but the kitty with pile of treats was way better. I added a rain cloud to make the water gauge make sense.

How to link night and day? With a gradient oil gauge (or rather HAPPINESS!!!) and a floating balloon Nyancat.

And then night falls and the Nyaninsanity turns up to 11.

I'm calling this lighting effect the "electric rainbow madness" because it is. It's nuts. I came up with this on the fly. It looks absolutely otherworldly and maybe even a little fake in person. Like too perfect. But it really looks like that.

The clouds also got the neon border effect and I dimmed Nyan-treat-pile down a ton so that it wouldn't outshine the scale and numbers. With the NB's super-even lighting it looks fantastic.

But wait... that's not all. I did some animation between night and day too!

That rainbow. I love that rainbow.

I'm beyond proud of these. The vibrant colors, the lighting effect, the NYANPOWER!!! Some days I love my job.

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #427

This one was pretty straightforward - a set of white background JNCs.

The owner was inspired by the red/white Mazdaspeed gauges of the 90s. Instead of red, he requested that I do the numbers and scale in the Montego Blue color I've used before to match his car.

The Montego numbers came out great! Nice contrast with the white. An M Edition logo was added to match the owner's M Edition car.

Night Mode! I did the same ghosted lighting I do on most of my light colored gauges. I didn't think the montego numbers would be bright enough by themselves. And, to be honest, I love the ghost lighting.

White LEDs in my test cluster with white lighting on the gauges. Noticed the red needles? I did a blog post a few years ago on how to paint your needles red.

·
Registered
197 Posts
This reminds me I have to re-paint mine. They are stock red NB2 ones, but they look dull with the backlight; i need a richer, more vivid red.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Oh those look great! I may be in the minority, but I find white dials to be far easier to read in the daytime.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Adam, is it possible to make a set for an NB with all of the warning lights normally visible inside the gauge faces still visible?

I have an ABS car with immobilizer and I'd like to still be able to see if something's up with either.

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #432
Adam, is it possible to make a set for an NB with all of the warning lights normally visible inside the gauge faces still visible?

I have an ABS car with immobilizer and I'd like to still be able to see if something's up with either.
Sure. The gauges would have to have the stock 8:00 zero position, but that's not a problem. I've done that mod for many customers in Europe who need to keep those lights for safety inspection.

Please fill out the order form on my site if you'd like to do this.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Time to show off some of Adam's fantastic work again. In the spring I installed a SuperMiata coolant reroute kit in my car. After that, the OEM water temp gauge worked sporadically at best. Instead of troubleshooting the issue, I used this situation as a weak excuse to spend more money on the car. I had 3 VDO gauges, oil pressure, oil temp and volts, in the center stack above the radio. I bought a new VDO water temp gauge to replace the Voltmeter in the center stack.

I have sat by the side of the road several times with various cars for various reasons, but twice were because of a failed alternator. Therefore, I have installed a voltmeter in every car I have owned since then. I had an Autometer voltmeter in my box of spare parts which I dissected to get the actual workings for the gauge. Fortunately, it fit in the OEM cluster in the space for the OEM water temp gauge.

I e-mailed Rev Limiter for a new custom gauge face for the voltmeter to match my MX8 faces made a few years ago. My faces were Gen 2 and, as we all know, Adam is on to Gen 3 with his works of art. He could make me a new face for the voltmeter, but it would not match the other gauges. In for a penny, in for a pound. Story of my life with this damn car.

So, as the pictures below show, I'm rocking a complete new set of MX8 gauges. I took this opportunity to make a few more custom touches. The numbers on the custom boost gauge in place of the OEM oil pressure gauge were getting a bit small for my aging eyes. I had Adam dial up the AARP-sized font for the new face. To the fuel gauge we added numbers and a red zone. Adam made several samples of the voltmeter face. Getting all the numbers to fit was a challenge. I'm happy with the result. We made a small change to the tachometer face and clocked out the speedometer to 160mph. With my turbo kit making 280whp, a 6-speed transmission and a 3.63 rear end, the car is capable of 157mph. I may never get there, but when I do have the speedo to display the event.

As always, I can not say enough good things about Adam's work. The gauges look fantastic. And I appreciate the Mazda Rotary Pickup truck Hot Wheels toy that came with the order.

Attachments

·
Administrator
15,321 Posts
That's cool Ken! I like the boost gauge a lot. :)

I should give Adam a plug with the custom set he did for me....

Custom NB "Unity" set for Eiffel, our 99 Twilight Blue street car. Someday when life slows down i'll take some good pictures of the gauges with a real camera.

2018-05-05_10-52-40 by concealer404, on Flickr

421 - 436 of 436 Posts