ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've cut some of the bumps out of my front splash guards ( black plastic between unibody and the front fender) and filled them in with light gauge stainless steel sheet metal, rivited to the plastic. This solved my wheel scrub issues due to 205/50/15 tires and about 1.75-2" of lowering. Im getting ready to upgrade a second time to a wider wheel/tire and know that Im going to need some more fender well work to not rub. Im curious about completely removing the splash guard and/or rolling the fenders, I'm worried that if I remove the splash guards, stones flying off the tires will hit the backside of the fenders and dent them. I've thought about painting the backside of the fenders with spray on truck bed linning. What do you guys do to get tire/wheel clearence. Anybody run around without splash guards? My car is daily driven so I want a durable set-up.
Cam

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts
I ran without splash guards for about 2 years, and never had any problems with denting the fenders.

·
Registered
239 Posts
removing the plastic guards was one of the first things i did to my miata. i've had it for nearly 2 years with no problems at all. even after flying down some dirt and gravel roads i didn't see anything wrong. its just a bit louder.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn, thats amazing that neither of you have a single ding! Any issues with snow? Looking from the front of the car to the back in the fender well you will notice an area between the unibody and the fender leading to the door. Mine was filled with debris the first time I removed the splash guard, do yours (area Im referring to) get filled up with leaves and such?

·
Registered
239 Posts
mine don't. but i live in a rather dry climate where pine needles are more abundant than leaves. when i was my car, i usually hose down the inside of my fenders for good measure. i get some dirt and dust in there, but i think its nigh impossible to avoid that.

and i've had no problems with snow. and i've driven in 8+ inches with my car lowered 12.5" from hub to fender.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts