ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't care for the white stitching on my Momo Retro steering wheel and I'd like to remove it. I don't believe it does anything to hold the leather cover together, but I'm not positive and don't want to find out I'm wrong the hard way.

Does anyone know if the stitching can be removed without compromising the cover?

Attachments

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a second possibility, though besides not liking the look of the stitching I don't care for the feel either. Let's just say that if they had stitched the actual seam, rather than where they though it might look good, it would have been much better.

I won't tear up a good wheel, but if removing it does no harm I'm happy to do it. In case that's not possible, I suppose a black Sharpie is my fall back approach.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They make thread dye.
I think the thread is probably polyester, which is difficult to dye since it's basically plastic. Do you know of any miracle dyes that will allow me to color the thread without boiling the steering wheel in hot water to help the dye set?

·
Candy ass miata man
3,655 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Chris, I appreciate the help. Still wondering whether I should just remove the damn things, being that the leather is basically glued to the foam under padding. Any other thoughts?

·
Banana Stand Manager
444 Posts
I have a Momo Monte Carlo that i removed the same stitching from. Yes, the stitching is purely decorative but be careful when removing it, esp on the ends of the stitches. There are knots and a bit of glue there that might be problematic but it should be doable

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why not get over it and use it anyway? If you use something enough you'll eventually get used to it and not notice it.
I didn't mind the look as much as I minded the feel, and that was something I wasn't going to get over any time soon.

The decorative stitching does a fine enough job as decoration, but is otherwise poorly conceived. It stands proud of the underlying leather like the strings of a banjo, and the hard thread makes for an annoying contrast to the supple leather cover. My fingertips were looking for the same soft leather the rest of my fingers were wrapped around, but found sharp polyester instead, and so they were constantly pissed off.

If Momo had wanted to do a better job, they could have shortened up and tightened the stitches so the threads were recessed at least a bit into the leather. That would have given them the color contrast they wanted without the annoying tactile clash of materials.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's the nearly finished product. I'll probably leave the stitching at the spokes as they may serve to reinforce this high stress area, though I'll likely dye them black at some point.

I expect the thread holes to close and soften a bit over time, but even as they are, the wheel looks fine. More importantly, the wheel feels much more comfortable to grip for casual daily driving.

Thanks everyone for all of your comments and help; I appreciate it.

Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
The stitching holds the leather seams together (along with adhesive). All you need to do is dye the stitching black with a permanent marker. I've restored a few old Momo steering wheels using this method and it works great. On that wheel your wife is probably correct - the stitching looks like it is just for decoration.

·
//banned
9,131 Posts
i think it looked better with the stitching

The stitching holds the leather seams together (along with adhesive). All you need to do is dye the stitching black with a permanent marker. I've restored a few old Momo steering wheels using this method and it works great. On that wheel your wife is probably correct - the stitching looks like it is just for decoration.
holy lurker!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts