ClubRoadster.net banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
yeah i remember in road and track that when they switched cars he would have qualified for the daytona 500
Hah, are you surprised?

I don't know why anyone in their right mind would switch from F1 to NASCAR, unless there's more money to be had. I just think, anyone that's done any roadcourse racing would be drop-dead bored driving circle track, I know I would be.

<--Falls asleep at 21 yellow flag short track event...
In a word. Money. NASCAR bores the ever living hell out of me too, I'd rather watch paint dry than watch 30 cars go around a big circle/oval for 500 laps. I love how they hit Sonoma and they change drivers to real drivers like Boris Said.

I hear NASCAR's been trying to woo Danica Patrick as well, I think she's burning her talent on IRL after faring pretty well at CART.

·
Esteemed Member
4,380 Posts
I like what Schumacher said to the press regarding Montoya during the France Grand Prix:

"What is exciting about NASCAR? What's exciting there? I can't see it. Running around the ovals." :lol:

The ITV coverage mentioned that Montoya is getting paid less than he did with McLaren. He left mid-season because of happiness.

I can understand where he's coming from. If you're unhappy of what and where you work, move on --even if the pay is less. Happiness is a lot more important.

On other F1 related news, Alonso is moving to McLaren next season replacing Kimi. I'm not too sure what to think about that news.

·
Esteemed Member
4,380 Posts
Let's not turn this into a NASCAR bashing thread. I don't get it as the next regular joe, but there is a reason why its so widely popular here in the United States. I don't know what it is, but I really want to know. Its popular enough and have enough appeal that even Montoya of F1 made the switch --and that I have to respect.

As gearheads, we should embrace all motorsports and respect why they have the following and popularity that they hold. I think I speak for all that we do not want to see another type of m.net drifting vs gripping flame thread here.

Keeping the thread F1: I will be cheering for Alonso. He has my vote for 2007. :D

·
Mufasa in Training
31,231 Posts
Well, I'll still root for the guy. He's doing what he hopes will make him happy. If nothing else, I seem to recall his wife is American, and now she won't be gallavanting all about to watch him run :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Let's not turn this into a NASCAR bashing thread. I don't get it as the next regular joe, but there is a reason why its so widely popular here in the United States. I don't know what it is, but I really want to know. :D
I'm going to go with the same reason why touring car, GT, and rally isn't popular here. In general, we Americans are fat and lazy and like all of our sports to be contained in one, simple, easy to view venue. While soccer isn't huge, huge compared to say NFL, MLB, or NBA, they still have a bigger audience than say Speed GT racing.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts