ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Full details on the build can be found here: http://www.cgbagne.com/theturtlebuild

This thread picks up mid-project. The early stuff is all documented in the above link. Additionally, I'm trying to write my blog such that it could serve as a standalone guild, both for research and execution, for anybody looking do perform any of the tasks(LSx swap, shaved bay, stitch welding, etc) that are included in my project.

This is what the car looked like when I bought it, with the addition of the happy eyes:

This is what I did with it:

And this is what it looks like now:

Terse and slightly misleading back-story:
I started this swap after I blew my 5 speed at an auto-x with the turbo e85 setup. I wanted to replace the sad transmission with a tough transmission, like a t56. I figured that I could best execute that if I bought a bunch of parts that natively bolt up to a t56 and install them as well. You know, so that everything works well together, as a system. Of course, when you more than triple the factory power output of a vehicle, infrastructure upgrades and changes are kind of a necessity if you're down with quality and reliability--I am. I taught myself to weld and stitch welded the chassis, got carried away and shaved the bay, and will be fabricating door bars and fender braces to further add structural integrity. The braking system will be redone(lines, master cylinders, and reservoirs out of the toasty engine bay), a dual master cylinder+balance bar setup will be used, and the calipers and rotors will also be replaced, either when my bank account has a chance to recover, or if/when the current brakes prove to be a hazard on the track. The existing suspension will be retained for now, but Xidas are on the eventual to-do list. The weight distribution of the car will stay ~51/49, and the total wet weight will be kept under 2,300#'s. Don't be surprised if additional features get added on later. My mind is still ripe with ideas and I tend to let myself get carried away because cool new skills are often the outcome.

I'm away from this car for weeks at a time because student. Updates will be sporadic for a few months, and then my winter break will start, allowing major updates to come on a daily basis. :)

Questions? Comments?

·
My toilet water goes the other way.
2,313 Posts
Woooooo LS1 :D

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hmmm you call this the Turtle build yet you putting a V8 in ur miata lol. Hmmm thats going to be one quick turtle lol. Also nice stuffed turtle thats sitting on ur dash.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm you call this the Turtle build yet you putting a V8 in ur miata lol. Hmmm thats going to be one quick turtle lol. Also nice stuffed turtle thats sitting on ur dash.
Just think of the tortoise and the hare.

anabolic that ****!
Any more and my car will have to shave. :D

·
Registered
748 Posts
About your previous suspension set-up with the wheels, what was it? Did you use spacers after you dropped it? It looked good and functional though :p

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad to see your making heavy progress since I saw it in person.

Thanks again for the motor!
Thanks again for the moneys. I checked out your thread the other day and that engine seems to be serving you well. : 3gears:

About your previous suspension set-up with the wheels, what was it? Did you use spacers after you dropped it? It looked good and functional though :p
R-package Bilsteins with ground control sleeves & 1" front sway bar. No spacers, and the wheels were just stockers with 195 rt615's. I bought the car with that setup and the grip became laughable(but the car was still a blast :D) once I switched to e85 and upped the boost and timing a little bit. WOT at an auto-x was counterproductive. I ordered 15x9 bronze 6ul's and 225 RS3's about a week before I broke the trans and decided to go ahead with the swap. They're sitting in the basement now and waiting to go on next summer.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I made some more progress on this yesterday. I had cut out parts of the transmission tunnel because they were looking sad and abused. I added excessive clearance for the bell housing, and that interfered with pedal movement. Fixing that required a cutoff wheel, some sheet steel, a metal brake, and a welder. I didn't have time to finish this, but there's metal covering the holes, it's the right shape, clearance is good, and it's mostly welded in. Not bad for a few hours of work.

More photos and details available on my blog: http://www.cgbagne.com/theturtlebuild/?p=168

Two bends to fit the bell housing while maximizing clearance for the pedal.

Plenty of space now.

·
---
520 Posts
Nice build!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
http://www.cgbagne.com/theturtlebuild/?p=179

This past weekend, I:
-Drilled holes for the frame rail braces.
-Took measurements for the radiator, hole for wires, and fuel lines.
-Pulled the engine and trans, along with the subframe.
-Finished the transmission tunnel.
-Did more stitch welding around the tunnel.
-Filled more holes in the firewall.
-more welding and grinding than I care to do in a single day ever again.

The trans tunnel looks huge now, and it kind of is. The T56 bellhousing is no joke.

The fire wall is nearly done now. I need to drill a hole in the center for the wiring harness and throttle cable, and I need to smooth it out with body filler. At this point, I’m committed to fabricating a pedal box and running a tandem master cylinder setup with a balance bar. The tandem setup is something that has intrigued me for a while because the pressure in the lines will be directly proportional to the pressure on the pedal, the system is redundant, and you get finer control of the front/rear bias. My calfs are big enough to make the lack of a booster a non-issue if I size the cylinders appropriately.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Nice build, are you sure your welds will hold up?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My welds aren't the prettiest, but for the tunnel, I welded on both sides with a setting that's hot enough for penetration to be a non-issue. I expect them to be more than up to the task. The patches in the firewall also have good penetration and won't be seeing much stress.

edit: Additional bracing will be going in, too, for sake of chassis rigidity. That'll help a bunch to distribute loads.

1 - 20 of 173 Posts