ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
I own Laz and you don't.
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I as well as a few locals have been running on MCS single adjustable dampers for a while now so I thought I'd make a thread for discussion and technical info as well as links to some build threads of cars that are running them.
In essence these are high end race shocks that share manufacturing and design with suspension you see in some of the highest forms of motorsport.
Pick a sports car racing series and look at the podiums, chances are a good that a large portion are running MCS.

Here are some shock dynos performed on a set of singles by an independent party. Also shown for comparison are shock dynos from some Moton triples. These are undoctored unlike 99.9% of the shock dynos you see online. Notice the consistency of the MCS. I'll let the dynos speak for themselves but if you have questions just ask.

Force vs. Absolute Velocity. Multiple runs ok various dampening settings.
Force vs. Displacement
Force vs. velocity

Now the motons for comparison

Force vs. Displacement
Force vs. velocity

Links to build threads with MCS
Ryans vvt swap is used primarily as an autox terror and a fun street car.
http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/89-roadster-projects/140242-oregonmons-white-1990-now-vvt-swap.html

Nial miata is a dedicated track machine
http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/89-roadster-projects/34332-stormins-stash-memories-lexi-83.html

And then there is Lazarus. I've put probably 2000 track miles on my set so far .
http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/89-roadster-projects/52914-lazarus-making-something-out-nothing-57.html

We all run different rates and use the car differently, feel free to ask questions. If you're interested in a set talk to me I can set you up.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Very nice.. I'll make my contribution.

The kit as you receive it.

DSC_0238 by stormin'norman3, on Flickr
DSC_0241 by stormin'norman3, on Flickr

What MCS singles look like assembled. Your final flavor might vary.
DSC_0325 by stormin'norman3, on Flickr

My spring selection suggestions.

ID: 2.25" or 60mm (2.36xx")

7" all around or 6" + helpers

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
It's crazy that just in the past year or so the great coilover options that have seemingly sprung up out of nowhere for the miata, great stuff! :icon_cheers:

·
I own Laz and you don't.
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will hopefully source a set of Xida Gen 2 for testing on the same exact shock dyno shortly. Results will be undoctored as well.

This is a set of remote doubles. This allows for both rebound and compression dampening adjustment.

Here are a set of singles using stock NB hats.

·
First Things First I'm The Realist
8,895 Posts

·
Motorboat Captain
9,990 Posts
I see what you did there... but I won't put a damper on things. ;)
Lets not water down the fact that these coilovers are awesome.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I got soggy dampers this spring. :-(

What's the price tag on these suckers anyways?

·
Motorboat Captain
9,990 Posts
Let's no dilute this thread with anymore water cooler talk.

Have a sunny day boys!

·
I own Laz and you don't.
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Price for a set of singles is 2650 for the bare shocks. You'll have to purchase springs and upper mounts. PM me if you're interested I can help you put together a full kit.

·
Rehabilitation Officer
8,110 Posts
How do the lower level single adjustable coilovers compare to the single adjustable AST 5200 series? I see them in the same price range of around $4500, I think it was

Edit: nm, it was the double adjustable with remote reservoirs for both applications. Interested in comparison

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Not to rain on your parade Ly, but do you have experience with these coilovers? My concern for these coilovers is that the damper is not valved for the spring and the ride will feel soggy.

:blaugh:
I can only say that with 700/400 rates on a 2200lb-ish NA that at near full soft it IS soggy. And I mean that in the best way possible. They can be truly comfortable.
That's where I keep them for the street and I could see these being fine for DD use. Especially if the car was mild mannered otherwise, power steering, OEM bushings/mounts etc...
I thought I read somewhere that these dampers are rated to work with nearly 1000lb springs on a Miata.
I've cranked the shocks up to the 15-16 mark and on track the motions are much more controlled BUT without being bouncy or harsh. Keep in mind, these do not use external bump stops. So the amount of travel available is probably more than any other shock on the market.
An overly hard/firm ride does not always equate performance.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Good point about bumpstops, I never hit mine and I'm not sure why others like to use excessively long ones.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts