ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yea.. as a native californian, i've never mowed a lawn in my life. however, as a new home owner, now i want to in order to save money and not pay a gardener.

buying a mower and trimmer will save me money within a few months, so that's what i'm doing. so the decision now is whether to buy a motorized mower or not. as fellow californians will know, irvine (OC) lots are not big. my lawn is maybe 12' x 15' or so, give or take. i'm leaning towards no-motor since i wont have to worry about maintenance and a neighbor's son mows with a no-motor.

what do you guys use? are the no-motors pretty easy to use? i'll be buying one this week.

there'a no-motor w/ bag for $130 at Lowe's i think i might pick up later this week...

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
When you say no-motor, I'm guessing you mean the kind that is not self-propelled. In that case, I used to mow our 1/4 acre yard with one like that for years, and I was still in like middle school.

In other words, the no-motor kind ( :lol: ) isn't a problem at all, especially with a small patch of grass as you seem to have. The self-propelled ones can be really nice, but I wouldn't bother unless you're doing some more serious cutting.

·
Esteemed Member
3,776 Posts
just use a weedeater, or even better yet just fill in the patch with gravel and just spray it for weeds

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, other than home depot and lowes, i'm not sure where to look. prices between the two are similar and i cant find a motorized one for chaper than that. they've got electic motors too.

where do you guys buy stuff like this?

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
Monster Garage is selling their Mustang Mower. hehehe

Also, the "CHAIN" Stores are not the only place to find lawn mowers, check you local yellow pages phone book, or even on the internet, they even have forums on lanscaping if you really wanna go nuts........
http://www.lawnsite.com

Phat 8)

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
by no-motor mower, i think you mean a reel mower (the blade is cylindrical, helical-like). i would get this one too. that's a small yard. the only problem is what kind of grass do you have? is the yard flat and pretty smooth? golf courses use these sorts of mowers to cut sensitive, poa, bermuda and st. augustine grasses. thay can handle a short growing height. the longer, shady grasses don't cut as uniformly with these sorts of mowers.

a rotary mower is more common. it's usually a blade connecyed to the crankshaft of a motor. it creates a bit of an updraft to lift the grass up to cut it to the desired height.

reel mowers are a bit more labor-intensive. the helical blades shear against a backing blade that creates a lot of resistance as you push it.(which is why commecial-grade versions are hydraulically powered) add a long or neglected lawn and it's a helluva workout. the helical blades are a little tricky to sharpen yourself.

another option is an electrical rotary motor for price and maintenance.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
before i got my new job i sold lawn mowers at home depot :D

for a small lawn dont get a motorized mower. get a drum or barrel style manual mower. they are quiet and require virtualy no maintenence. however, mowers like yard machines or even (overkill) the honda mower are very nice and comfortable to work with! adjusting the cut is a breeze, but it would be over-kill.

or actually-

...dur! for small lawn, get an electric lawn mower! get one that requires a cord and drag an extension cable from your garage! :D

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it's a nice flat pice with a palm tree in the middle (along with a circle of dirt and a big ol' rock for looks).

thanks for all the info. i found an electric one at walmart.com for $120, i'm going to see if i can find it at a brick-n-mortar.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5192180

I imagine this should do the trick. it doesnt say whether it's a battery operated or corded unit. this should do the trick right?

by the way, all that blade talk went right over my head. :oops:

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
err.. apparently, nobody has it in stock and lawn mowers are "out of season" as they are waiting for the 2007's to come in. =\

i might have walmart.com ship it.. so it'd cost me a total of $132; but i'll still re-coop the cost by summer.

thoughts? anyone?

·
Registered
15 Posts
With a 12x15 yard a push mower should be fine... but a bag? Good god man, how long could it take to rake that up after it's cut? LOL

For what it's worth, all the new manual mowers I've seen have been in the $100+ range. I'd watch Craigslist or hit all the estate sales you can find in the paper and try to get one cheap. The electrics are basically made for yards like yours too, if you go that route it will be fine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts