ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few months ago I picked up my first miata. A 93 1.6l. I really love the car so far, and its probably my favorite out of all the ones I've owned. I came from the world of awd dsms so performance is a big deal to me.
Everyday I get in my car and I hate how its naturally aspirated. So I've decided this has to change. The only thing I've done to my car so far is paint it. It was white, but now its kind of like the mariner blue but way lighter. Besides that I have a knock off racing seat and a quick release.... woo...
So right now I'm in the process of starting to buy parts and its quite a list.
Hardtop
Sr20 t25
Turbo manifold
rx8 injectors
Wideband
Coilovers good for track use
A stronger clutch
Intercooler piping
And some type of standalone.
I've been into drifting for about a year and choose the miata as my car cause I'm tired of 240's. That's all I ever see at drift events.
I'm excited for the build and can't wait. I'm also on miataturbo.net with the same username.
*typed this on my phone and couldn't upload a picture. Will upload one when I'm on a computer.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Re: Mrjreezy's Aggresive Smurf Drift Build

id consider some extended knuckles as well :) have fun dude

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I was looking into the knuckles, but I figure that'll be last on the list.

I think I might all ready have an LSD diff. Not real sure. Gonna wing it, and when it explodes, then I cry. :cry2:

·
Registered
634 Posts

Even if you have an LSD, if its from a 1.6l its probably crap/will be crap soon.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

MOABmiata yeah if i have it its ****, but if its an lsd diff all I would have to do is shim it, so I'm hoping it is.
Here is a before and after pic of the car since Ive painted it.
I also got bored and made some teeth out of my old eclipse bumper using a sharpie, shears and a dremel tool. Then I painted them. Tacky, but I find it funny to look at. :haiguyths:

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts

man ur gonna be popular here lol. gl though and if you want drifting to be more enjoyable in the na6 you might want to move knuckle mods farther up the list

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

It's been over four months since I've last posted, and I've done quite a bit to the miata so far. The first thing I had to do was buy a set of coil-overs. I wanted to fundamentally build the car before I started to do horse power upgrades.
So I saved up some money and bought a set of BC's from DWS Parts ( dwsparts.com ). They're local here and they have great customer service. I recommend them for any parts you may need. (Sorry for the image quality. Most were taken with my phone.)

I got the extreme low package with 10k front and 8k rear. They were also pretty easy to put one. Three of them only took us about 30 minutes to put on. The forth (passenger front) was a little bit harder because the previous owner had a wreck on that side. We couldn't take that long bolt out of the upper control arm because it was bent. So we had to fight and struggle with it for about two hours before we finally got it in.

The difference in stock suspension vs. the bc's (rear). I never adjusted the height on the bc's.

Rear with bc's installed. Did not lower the bc's. I put them on the way they came. Pretty decent wheel gap drop from stock.

The difference between the front suspension.

The final product. I was very happy with the outcome and didn't adjust the coils. The front was a little higher than the rear, which is perfect for a drift setup. The spring rates were very comfortable for daily use. On road trips my back is pain from the combination of the coils and my bucket seat. Momma didn't raise no bitch though. :haiguyths:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Random pictures of my car.

It was pissed from how freezing cold it was.

My car with my buddy's Sr swapped s13. He had just painted it that day. Pretty damn clean in my opinion.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I plan on going turbo pretty soon. So over the past few months I picked up a MSPNP v1 for my 1.6. Excited to use this. I plan on learning how to tune my own car, and with that being said I plan on blowing it up a few times in the process. : 3gears:

I also picked up a full torsen swap from a 94. The diff, axles, and driveshaft, which surprisingly fit inside my trunk. ...Definitely did not expect much to fit in a miata trunk. Along with a bunch of other stuff I need on the daily. Like jumper cables, backpacks, oem suspension, etc, etc.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I've heard a lot of people say a torsen swap is easy to do on this forum. On my miata, that was bullshit. It took me and my friend about 4-5 hours to swap everything over. There was a ton of problems that we ran into. Most of them due to the car being 20 years old (93).

The first problem we ran into was the passenger axle nut. That damn thing would not come off. We torched it. We used snap on impacts. We used pb blaster. The only way we got it off was from brute strength from my friend in the picture below, and a very, very, very long pole.

After that we ran into other bolt related problems and took forever to get the axles out.

But finally the open diff came out. At this point I became tired and quit taking pictures. Not that interesting anyways. We've all seen diffs.

The only thing that sucks about the swap is that my torsen is welded. Which I'm guessing something had to be failing in the diff, or the previous owner was just a drifter fan boy. Who welds a viscous?
The diff is fun as can be though. Parking sucks and I cant be completely careless around corners anymore. But oh how sweet the sliding and burnouts are. If you have an open diff take it out. This is one of the best things I have done to my car so far.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I was headed to my first drift event after mods. So i had to drive from east TX to Gilliam, LA. It was an Arklatex event if anyone reading this is from TX, LA, or AR. It's about a 2 hour drive from where I live in Texas.
About 20 minutes away from the event my ppf decides to disconnect itself from the diff, when iwas going 85mph. ...Not a pretty sound when the ppf hit the driveshaft.
So I drove 2 hours only to have to tow my car right back. This was a huge dissapointment. Especially after trying to finish the mods for the event. (Which I didn't have time to swap in my act clutch).
This must have been an omen for my friends though. One wrecked his S2000 into a miata... haha What are the odds? The other burnt had his clutch go out. (The blue S13 a few posts above). And every gear became neutral.
They usually have events once a month. I skipped the one this april, and I'm hoping to have my car more ready for the one in May.

·
Supporting Member
1,376 Posts

Wait... Reading your second to last post under the last pic where you say "The only thing that sucks about the swap is that my torsen is welded." If this is the case you don't have a torsen lsd you have a straight welded diff from a '94... Which is no better than your 1.6 open diff that you could have welded... Can you clarify things. Maybe I'm reading it wrong...

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

It is a torsen. It has a dampener at the end. The picture above is when we got the open diff out. I can take a picture of the torsen if you would like.
I didn't know if was welded when I got it. The precious owner of the diff must have welded it because something I'm the diff was failing. That's the only reason I can think of. Its full lock at all time, so its still better than an open diff for the fact that I do not have one tire fire.

·
Registered
422 Posts

All 1.8 diffs have that rubber on the end. Pretty sure you can't weld a torsen also. Hopefully you didn't pay to much for it.

·
Supporting Member
1,376 Posts

Ya you just got a welded standard 1.8 diff. It is better than an open 1.6 diff yes but a 1.6 welded diff would have done the same job as the one you bought. What did you pay for it?

·
Registered
251 Posts

All 1.8 diffs have that rubber on the end. Pretty sure you can't weld a torsen also. Hopefully you didn't pay to much for it.
yeah i've been drifting these things for about 5 years and i have never heard of someone doing that.

pretty sure its not even possible.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts