ClubRoadster.net banner

141 - 160 of 534 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Re: mrpham's summer build

Great build. You have an impressive attention to detail.

I have a question though. What's your waist size and how well does that sparco fit you?

Thanks,

Ben

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #142

Great build. You have an impressive attention to detail.

I have a question though. What's your waist size and how well does that sparco fit you?

Thanks,

Ben
I'm a 32 jean size if that helps, Sparco fits me very well.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #145

Build Update Part 5 - http://omgpham.com/build-update-part-5

So I got all my nut/bolts back from the zinc plating shop, and I'm so fucking happy with the results. They charge $1.30/kg to clean and zinc plate, awesome value!

Everything looks brand new

Also received my hydraulic lug crimper, awesome for doing starter motor, alternator and battery wiring. Produces 12tonnes of force to crimp the big lugs.

Pretty awesome stuff

So this is where I'll be mounting my fuse/relay panel, it's a 15mm thick piece of polypropylene. It'll be covered and sit under the carpet, and the additional flip panel gives more protection and allows pretty easy access when needed.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #147

ITB Build Part 6 - http://omgpham.com/itb-build-part-6

I spent the last couple of days building my custom fuse/relay panel. I've been looking forward to this part of the build :D

I went to the local plastics engineering shop and got them to cut out a piece of polypropylene for me. This is what I used for the "panel" part, got it pretty thick to make sure it was sturdy and adequately insulated from the car body.

I laid down some masking tape and marked where the parts would go and where to drill.

The parts attached to panel and quickly test fitted in the foot well for clearance.

The injector and coil +12v cables were installed first.

Slowly more wires were added, still looking neat and organised for now...

The completed fuse/relay panel, it got a bit messy where the large terminal block is. The purple Deutsch connector at the bottom powers the injector and coil +12v and the braided cable go into a ECU connector for power and various outputs for fuel pump and fans etc...

A successful test fitting!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #154

ITB Build Part 7 - http://omgpham.com/itb-build-part-7

Another slow week for me, didn't get to do much and haven't been able to start the engine harness because I'm waiting for some heatshrink to arrive.

So I got the engine wiring in and quickly laid it out, my spare head went on with the Toyota COPs so I can mock everything up.

The ECU side of the engine harness, blower motor back in and the AC bypass pipe.

The main power harness going back to the battery, there's multiple runs of cable because I've relocated all fusible links next to the battery. So the entire length of cables are protected, unlike the factory cables... pretty slack of Mazda.

This is the FD RX-7 fuse holder, works great and hangs right off the battery clamp.

Connected the steering column up so I could test out the body wiring. Headlights, indicators, retractors, brake lights, horns, wipers and water sprayers all worked perfectly first go!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts

This has turned into a winter build for you. The wiring work is very impressive.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #158

ITB Build Part 8 - http://omgpham.com/itb-build-part-8

Since the wiring tested perfectly, it was time for the interior to go back in =)

I replaced my crappy carpet with carpet from an NB, pretty much the same thing. I did have to cut some holes for the seat belt buckle because mine are bolted to the floor, I believe the NB buckles are attached to the seat rail hence no holes in the carpet. I would definitely recommend the NB carpet over the NA, it feels much nicer and usually found in better condition than older NA stuff.

Roll bar back in, super clean carpet =D

Super happy with how the "flip-panel" turned out, looks awesome and gives plenty of protection for the fuse/relay panel. And yes, the kiddie seat is gone now.

141 - 160 of 534 Posts