ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Herpity Derpity
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 MSM. The known issue of the throttle inlet tube popping off the intake manifold when under a load of boost keeps happening to me. If I'm driving my car fairly hard for more then 20 minutes, as the temp raises it's more likely to happen. It's happened to me 3 times now in the last week and a half. I thought I could just ride this out till I actually have the cash saved for the full FM Intake kit. But it's beginning to become a nuisance and I'm worried it's hurting my motor. I also have other bills needing to be paid currently and just can't afford to drop $600 on my toy till at least next month. I don't even really have the cash for just their complete throttle body inlet kit.

I do plan on purchasing the whole Little Enchilada setup next spring. But I was poking around and I found the Begi Throttle inlet replacement kit for like $90.

I do have an upgraded 1.0" Bosche BPV.

So do you guy's recommend I get the Begi kit now. Then just get the full FM intake kit later? I'm going to end up spending more money in the long run I know. Does anyone have any experience with the Begi kit? If I called up FM and just ordered the aluminum inlet tube, could I just make that work with my stock setup? Or do I need to have a BOV etc.

I also was looking at the Begi Cool Air Intake System over the FM Intake Kit. Is there a huge performance difference? Which one would you say is more cost effective?

Any advice would be mucho appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
When speaking of just the basic intake, FM would be better dollar worth. The two kits have the same results. FMs full intake kit is more than an intake. You get a manual boost controller, a high quality bypass valve and an o2 modifier. You want all of this. If you can't swing it now, just get a used, or new if you can't find used, throttle body inlet. At least you can drive without worrying about popping it anymore.

·
Mr. Swisher
1,430 Posts
If you're worried about the inlet pipe popping off, just put a t-bolt clamp on it for now until you get the intake kit. That's what I did and it has never slipped in a year.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I replaced the stock clamp with a clamp that is 14mm wide. I also used some wire I had & modified the throttle body inlet pipe so it could no longer expand under boost. I have had the boost up to 17psi without the TBIP popping off with these inexpensive modifications.

The wire has to circle around the temperature sensor & blow off valve parts of the pipe to prevent them from expansion at their bases.

If you want it to look nicer you could use aluminum wire & polish it to make it look shiny.

·
I <3 CR
1,050 Posts
^^^ wow, thats a new one.
did it help? you are ran 17psi on the stock inlet pipe? stock turbo?

OP - just get the full intake(FM) your car will thank you, but be sure that you install the o2 mod. with the FM intake the car will get a little "jerky", but its not too bad.

one problem i had with the FM inlet pipe was that my BOV kept slipping off it's mount similar to how the stock inlet pipe slipped off the TB. I fixed it by flaring the end of the BOV mount and it has not come off since.

·
I <3 CR
1,050 Posts
Oh i forgot.

Look on Mazda-speed.com you can find used full fm intake kits for like 350 on there all the time(if you haven't already)

·
Registered
369 Posts

·
Rotarded
1,611 Posts
I replaced the stock clamp with a clamp that is 14mm wide. I also used some wire I had & modified the throttle body inlet pipe so it could no longer expand under boost. I have had the boost up to 17psi without the TBIP popping off with these inexpensive modifications.

The wire has to circle around the temperature sensor & blow off valve parts of the pipe to prevent them from expansion at their bases.

If you want it to look nicer you could use aluminum wire & polish it to make it look shiny.

[IG]http://media6.dropshots.com/photos/502940/20100820/b_123708.jpg[/IMG]
this is pretty rad. I like your thinking

·
I used to be cool.
3,086 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
^^^ wow, thats a new one.
did it help? you are ran 17psi on the stock inlet pipe? stock turbo?

OP - just get the full intake(FM) your car will thank you, but be sure that you install the o2 mod. with the FM intake the car will get a little "jerky", but its not too bad.

one problem i had with the FM inlet pipe was that my BOV kept slipping off it's mount similar to how the stock inlet pipe slipped off the TB. I fixed it by flaring the end of the BOV mount and it has not come off since.
Yes it helps a lot. The wire completely stops the TBIP from ballooning just for the few bucks for the cost of the wire.

As far as the TBIP popping off the Throttle Body I completely fixed the problem by using a wider clamp. A while back I purchased a Flyin Miata intake. I used one of the wider 14mm clamps that came with the Flyin Miata intake kit where the TBIP connects to the TB & used the narrower stock TBIP clamp where the mass air flow sensor is.

Yes I ran 17psi on the stock TBIP & it did not pop off. I only ran my car a few times on a few runs at 17psi. I do not run 17 psi all the time. I ran it for years at 14 to 15 psi with my water/methanol kit. If I ride on curvy back roads I turn the boost down to 10 psi you do not need a lot of power to have fun on curvy roads. I only like power on long straight roads.

A lot of times ill have the boost set at 15 or 16 psi & never really get into boost until those occasional times when you get beside one of those guys with a turbo diesel truck who thinks their truck is hot stuff & plan on leaving you in a large cloud of black smoke with your top down then I get into boost & make their truck look very slow lol or suprize walk a occasional firebird ws6 or Pontiac GTO with a 6.0L LS2 or a V8 mustang or whatever.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same issue, however my throttle body inlet pipe is metal except for the small piece of silicone pipe at the top. Any suggestions to keep this small piece on? Turbo clamps just don't cut it since it is so small.

Attachments

·
Lit like a BranchDavidian
5,990 Posts
If it were that much of a problem, I'd definitely get some t-bolt clamps. In the meantime, take the hose off, clean it with IPA as well as wiping down the pipe and TB with IPA. You can also take some rough sandpaper (like 60-grit) and sand the inside of the hose to increase bite (do this before cleaning with IPA).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts