ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll consider this a reintroduction of myself to the community, finally in accompaniment with a properly logged project thread. So hello to all, my name is MstrBlk and I will be using this thread to monitor my own progress because my memory is shot. :phillyb:

This little miata was bought in June of 2012. It cost me $4000. It was an unmolested R-Pkg with 97k on the clock. A very nice aftermarket pearl paint job had been done. After having owned the car for 2 years now and having put just over 30k on the car, I am quite pleased with the price I paid.

Here it was when I got it home! (actually the next day, I drove it the day of purchase and did not arrive home until long after nightfall)

Soon my mods included a crystal white hardtop and OE mudguards, rear cut to fit R-Pkg rear lip.

Then I got a sweet Moddiction 600g Stainless countersunk shift knob and of course did the bro thing and got me a sweet NRG short hub + quick release and a vintage Nardi wheel, and apparently some overheating issues. Still no horn.

By this point in time I had also done a few things to the interior to fit my desires of simplicity and functionality. Removed the folding visors and replaced with blanks. Removed the broken radio and replaced with a headunit-less setup (aux cable in the center console).

Then came a few small things under the hood:

Radiator shroud
Magnecor 10mm wires
99-00 OE Front Strut Tower Brace
Jackson Racing Foam Filter
eBay Tsudo N1 exhaust

Then I got 15x6 OE BBS wheels + Yokohama S-Drives and went driving! Antenna deleted.

Then I had dreams of RX-3

Yayy! eBay Gauges + brushed gauge bezel! and a horn! :whistle: **** I screwed up the speedometer needle.. and would end up driving like that for a looong time :phillyb:

Then I got a shiny aluminum mishimoto Radiator + Carbon Fiber FM Cowl Intake. Oh how I miss the days of having a hood prop rod.

Looks like I also got my CarMakeCorn*s bucket seat in and GarageStar offset license plate bracket. Went driving out on Lime Creek Rd

Got a hairpin leak at the rear thermostat housing that sprayed straight up, soaking the coil packs. Eventually, arcing occurred and I was running on 2 cylinders. I needed to replace the packs, and hoses, and I had found a deal on a rebuilt head, so I said fck it! Did water pump + timing belt + gaskets as well. Adjustable cam gears as well. And Begi Coolant re-route. And FM radiator shroud + Spal fan kit. Some heat-tape and sticker on the crossover tube + helmholtz resonator. DIY, slightly ghetto, cold air intake + K&N filter. I think I spot Raceland headers... Yup.. Not a good memory nor one I will soon forget!

Car wash + painted GV front lip

·
Banned
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Then I threw these wheels back on for some reason and installed a rollbar, project G vent windows, and a horse's head. Back on Lime Creek Rd with an M.net buddy. I think I see Ryoku Rob tow hooks.. Check out the Boss Frog Clearview rollbar :~)

Got bored and painted tire letters

Did autocross stuffs. You can see I put another sticker on the rollbar and got a properly sized dash mat + polished air vent rings.

Back on Lime creek rd

:haiguyths:

Yay, carbon miata vented headlight cover + Racing Beat 4-2-1 headers wrapped up. Also removed charcoal canister

15x8 +25 Konig Wideopen wheels w/ Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec 205/50/15 tires
East Coast Miata mirrors
Roadster mirror sticker :rice:

Back at lime creek (This is still stock R-pkg suspension!)

At the Texas Miata Roundup 2013

Finally somewhere to work on the "Mazdaspeed Roadster" :~P

Got a membership at Harris Hill Mazda Raceway and ripped off/crushed/destroyed my GV lip
and I got TSI's and painted them.

Back on Lime Creek Rd

·
Banned
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Club Started

Finally installed some suspension. Racing Beat tubular front Sway + sway bar mount bracing brackets. 949 adjustable end links. Tein Street Advance coilovers 8k front / 6k rear. ISC racing tophats to increase/restore suspension travel. Lowered a bit.

I got clear side markers. And another miata, then instantly slammed it.

Out for a day with my little :hello kitty:

VERY BAD PIC.
Got me a shiny intake. Removed hood prop rod. Why? Oh the prices we pay for low shiny objects. FM Strut tower brace. Polished oil fill cap. Polished covers for brake + clutch fluid reservoirs. Track Dog Racing Heatshield blanket for the headers. *ghetto* Stainless steel foil intake heat shielding. Also, got a bigger eBay filter

Heading to the track!

Another track day! Crowded!

Camping hippie style at the Sherwood Forest **** Faire :phillyb::icon_cheers::bouncin::hello kitty:

Thai food + Surco trunk lid rack

Well that is the majority of what I can remember being done to the vehicle. :~P

Here is how she currently sits:

But she is in the driveway, about to be in the garage for an F1 racing 6-puck clutch install + ACT 9.5lb freewheel install

·
Banned
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Clutch job:
F1 Racing Stage 3 6-puck clutch kit

ACT ProLite Flywheel 9.5lb

NEW TIRES!! BF Goodrich Rivals 205/50/15

break time

All done

·
Banned
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Went out to Cars n Coffee last sunday.

Car fell flat on its face on the way back home. Was pulling away from a light in 1st and pressed the clutch in at 6k, immediately the engine began to rumble. I shifted into second and let the clutch out and proceeded to give it gas and the car had very, very little power. I pulled over immediately and popped the hood. Checked fluids. Looked at cam timing. Everything looked alright.

Before, I had been driving down the highway and experienced something similar randomly. It turned out to be one coil pack, so I was running on two cylinders.

So I thought, maybe that was the case for this scenario as well. I crawled the car back home a few miles. I changed spark plugs and wires with some new ones I hadn't installed yet. Nothing. I then checked for spark and was getting it in every cylinder. I began to become very puzzled.

I checked the diagnostic codes, I got two.. One for the MAF and one for the evaporator canister.. Neither of which really seemed to be my issue. Let it be noted that there were several who suggested replacing the MAF and some even suggested my head gasket was blown. I was certain neither of these were the case. I have unplugged the MAF off the car while running before, so I was quite familiar with its affect on RPM and idle. If the headgasket had blown, it would likely have given some hints the days just preceding the incident.

So I nixxed both of those suggested maintenance plans. It was suggested by MC70 that my crank may have slipped timing. Doh! I did not check this, only the cam timing. As soon as the suggestion was made, it clicked in my head because I had just lightened the flywheel, perhaps allowing the crank to spin fast enough to spin without the timing belt. This must have occurred, because when I checked timing again.. the crank was at bottom dead center while the cams were at top dead center.

It is amazing that the car moved at all.

So I pulled off all of the belts, intake, etc. to make access to the timing belt easier. Popped off the belt and began to get everything lined up. Popped off the VC to adjust cam timing when I noticed... "WTF those lobes are not moving!!!" The rear 3 lobes of the intake cam were NOT moving with the rest of the cam shaft. This was my prestigious exhintake cam. Well, it was obvious that it had become separated. I pulled the cam bearing caps off and began to inspect for damage.

At the point where the cam split, a few millimeters of clearance must have immediately become available because the two ends did NOT grind against each other. There were no metal bits to be seen anywhere. I simply put my old intake cam back on, slapped the cam gear on. Timed the car up, got everything in stalled, and adjusted idle and ignition timing.

The car has been running great ever since! Thank you so much MC70!

·
Banned
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
after changing the tranny fluid to redline synthetic.. my 3rd gear synchros have begun acting up.

Just got back from mo' fuckin FoMoCo with the Motorcraft XT-M5-QS fluid. Will update after a hundred miles or so to see if the synchro mesh has improved.

·
Banned
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Changed fluid to XT-M5-QS.. third gear grind that recently appeared roughly 100 miles after switching to Red Line synthetic gear oil, has begun to clear up.

Also installed these :rice:

·
Banned
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

3 layers white plastidip + 1 pearlizer + 1 glossifier

still need to color match the HT + install GV lip, r-pkg rear lip, mudguards, and paint the rocker panels

LOL! mind the dirt where the mudflaps used to be..

·
Banned
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got bumped into in a fucking Home Depot parking lot. Not the worst, but definitely noticeable. I feel like I should be more pissed off than I am.. I'll snag a pic soon.

Also, today I got my wb02 installed. I am still using the factory ecu and used the narrowband output of the LC-2 controller to appease the stock ecu. :mrgreen:

Pics to come! MSPNP to come!

·
Banned
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
MSPNP was installed tonight!

Car fired up perfectly. Got the ignition timing set and TPS calibrated, was reprogramming one of the lc-2 outputs to wideband when.. bam.. laptop died.

Anxious to get it installed completely. Still need to change outputs of wideband, adjust afr tables for wideband, and the i might call it a night

·
Banned
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
dialing in maps now and running VE analyze live.. just getting everything dialed in. the car pulls a good bit harder!

took the car to C&C yesterday

had some fun with a GTR

1 - 20 of 41 Posts