ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/61-1001.html

This clutch/flywheel claims it is the lightest setup out now, but does not list any specific weight in it description. Is it really lighter than the 949 clutch offerings?

What is the total weight of this clutch?

How many miles is this clutch expected to last?

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
I doubt it's lighter than the 949 setup. That page probably hasn't been updated for a while.

For what it's worth the oe 1.8 fly is in the neighborhood of 19-20 pounds. Seeing as high as 22# for NB units. Can't find a whole lot of info on the stock clutch. But figure another 10? GWR states that setup is 12# under oem spec. Still would seem to be heavier than the 949 gear.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was thinking, but I'd gladly be proven wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Sorry for the confusion guys, that product description copied over from the 2006-2012 MX5 NC version which was first to market, the 1.8 just finished and started shipping. I don't have the 1.8 on shelf today to weigh because first units already sold and shipped....but the language about 2 pounds here and 3 pounds there all applied to our larger original version for 2.0 motor 2006+ NC...which is a combined weight of clutch and Flywheel of 16 pounds...which is the lightest for MX5 (NC) that we know of.

Awesome clutch, totally stock pedal feel, but holds 300 Ft/LBs! My little 120 pound racer wife did not get along well with the heavy ACT clutch we were racing with before, but loves the new carbon unit.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah well I'd really appreciate the exact weights if you ever get the chance. I love the idea of the 949, but I've heard the clutch is pretty short lived. On a car that sees street use that's just not acceptable. Clutch changes every 25-50k, no thank you. I'm going to have to pull the trigger on a new setup sooner than later.

Might just go fidanza, spec pressure plate, f1 6 puck. Which should be pretty darn light too.

Does this SL-1 clutch come in a lighter 1.6 size like most clutches offer?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Ah well I'd really appreciate the exact weights if you ever get the chance. I love the idea of the 949, but I've heard the clutch is pretty short lived. ..
Not sure what or where you read but we have yet to hear from a customer with a worn disc, let alone a prematurely worn disc. The highest HP race car customer we have makes 400whp and put about 100 race hours a year on it. Last time he swapped a trans, he measured disc wear and it was nil.

Our lightest version is 11.7 lbs, clutch, flywheel combined. The7.25" twin organic that most customers order is 14.0 lbs total.

Keep in mind when comparing any OEM diameter clutch, the SuperMiata twin is 7.25". That directly translates to MOI reduction even if the weight is the same (and it's lighter).

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I could have sworn I read people saying the more street friendly organic version disks were only rated for 25/50,000 miles. That is great news. I know where my money will be going when it's time to install the built bottom end.

Thanks for chiming in Emilio, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I could have sworn I read people saying the more street friendly organic version disks were only rated for 25/50,000 miles. That is great news. I know where my money will be going when it's time to install the built bottom end.

Thanks for chiming in Emilio, I appreciate it.
Sworn? People? Rated?

One link to one post?

It amazes me how stuff like this spreads. I take two years to develop the most bombproof and lightweight clutch with the highest torque capacity for the Miata and..

No hard feelings, just makes me laugh and shake my head a bit

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Our lightest version is 11.7 lbs, clutch, flywheel combined.
:eek: That might be less than this text book I'm reading right hurr. Impressive. I also know where my money is headed when the Fidanza/Oem gives up the ghost.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sworn? People? Rated?

One link to one post?

It amazes me how stuff like this spreads. I take two years to develop the most bombproof and lightweight clutch with the highest torque capacity for the Miata and..

No hard feelings, just makes me laugh and shake my head a bit
http://www.miataturbo.net/archive/index.php?t-61505.html

This is the thread that gave me the "information". A few of the MT regulars, and owners of the clutch were chiming in. :dunno:

I think I had read posts of brokeruner's as well, but then again he could have been just repeating this same "info".

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Edit:

Just realized this is in Goodwin's section. Don't I feel like an ass. I search for mentions of my brand and just start reading.

Mods, feel free to delete all my posts in this thread. Sorry!

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
No harm and no need to delete, my old friend Emilio is welcome here anytime...and good to get the facts out (I don't want my section to shelter any misinformation). I have several customers racing with Emilio's ultra light NA/NB clutch combos and they have good things to say about the product. I think customers seeking a serious race application ultralight clutch should give Emilio's NA/NB choices a serious look.

Our focus has been a little different, our project started with the NC application. We needed a NC clutch that could hold 300hp but be as easy to work as a stock clutch for my little racer wife. My wife is about 120 pounds, we started her in Gokarts and then she picked up autocross and she just finished her first full season of SCCA autocross. The season ended well, she picked up a trophy for finishing the season 5th out of about 20 drivers in her class...a good first year effort (pic below from Saturday award night). But it all started rough...with her destroying an ACT clutch because the heavy pedal was too hard for her to work. When she fried the clutch she filled the starter motor with clutch debris and we had to push start the car to finish an event without ever shutting the car off. She skipped the next two events while we sought a solution she could drive....that was honestly as easy to use as stock but could hold the 300 hp that our supercharged 2007 MX5 makes. The carbon/carbon clutch we now offer was the answer that let her really enjoy the car without fighting the clutch. If my little wife can drive this clutch....then ANYBODY can easily drive it. And then a local buddy here in San Diego who had several back surgeries and real issues working a heavier clutch asked us about an NA/NB application for his supercharged Miata. Thus, we have applications for all years of Miata now that drive like a stock clutch...can be raced hard, and still hold over 300ft/lbs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts