ClubRoadster.net banner

141 - 150 of 150 Posts

·
Administrator
15,250 Posts
This thread now awesome for the info given, AND for making me feel special about how quickly Emilio answers my emails. So many warm and fuzzies. :lol:

·
Banned
41 Posts
Let's set aside the hard parker type "mods" and focus on those that actually improve some form of performance or other objective specification.

The car forums and pages tend to have "kings", same with some of the vendors (not saying anyone here, just stumbled into this thread).

That is why I like to see people trying things out and working out any side effects.

There are a number of examples over time WRT Miatas where the car is "held back" due to the absolute need to be "forum correct".

It is up to you whether you'd like that to limit you or not.

·
Registered
128 Posts
So if you were to do this similar build to a VVT head, how would you time the intake cam? Wouldnt the lack of an adjustable cam gear on the intake side ruin the possibilities of doing this?

Cannot thank Quinn and Emillio enough for the vast amounts of knowledge shared. You guys keep the community going in a great direction. Bravo..

·
Garage Quinn Motors - GQM
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
So if you were to do this similar build to a VVT head, how would you time the intake cam? Wouldnt the lack of an adjustable cam gear on the intake side ruin the possibilities of doing this?

Cannot thank Quinn and Emillio enough for the vast amounts of knowledge shared. You guys keep the community going in a great direction. Bravo..

The VVT cam gives you variable adjustment of its cam timing with your ecu. So you wouldn't require an adjustable cam gear. This is more ideal than setting the cam timing to a fixed degree because you can optimize the cam timing at lower and upper RPMs. You just need to have an ecu that can control the VVT.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Old thread but I have seen the car and the driver in action on YouTube and I thought I comment to congratulate. Great work, I admire your approach. I really enjoyed the videos.

I have some questions too...

More aggressive cams need more compression.
Why is that? Can you explain it a little bit?

My motor is still a 1.8L, if anything its a pinch less displacement because now the combustion chamber became smaller after the head shave.
Is this actually true? Isn't displacement the swept volume between TDC and BDC?

·
Registered
424 Posts
I may get flamed for this, but here goes. I am pretty new to the BP engine. I am considering building an engine similar to Quinn's engine here minus the ITB's. Plan is to find a stock 99-00 1.8 bottom end with a similar build head and flattop intake manifold. Will this setup run ok on a factory ECU or will I need to run a standalone?

Don't be to hard on me...Thanks!

·
Supporting Member
436 Posts
Glad this thread got resurrected as I'd lost it. Hoping to follow a similar recipe for my build ... got an '03 block and 99 head already fitted, standard ecu at the moment but the next step is aftermarket ecu and TBS

Russell

141 - 150 of 150 Posts