ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had this car for about four years now. Got the bug for an old import from a friend of mine helping him rebuild his 1974 260Z car. We took his car down to bare metal and repainted it. The RX2 popped up on Cragslist for a song and I bought it. I broke pretty much every rule when buying a used car on this. I checked out the car at night, did not drive it and never heard it run before I handed over the cash. The day I brought it home was the coldest day of the year. Here are pics later that weekend. The plan for the car was street driving and autocrossing.

Under the hood was a 12A out of, I am told, a 1983 RX7. The transmisson was from a 1979 RX4 and the rear end came from a GSL. No idea on what year, and I had a HELL of a time finding bearings and seals for it. So when I got the car it was a bit of a Mutt and I built from there.

When I bought the car the transmisson in it would grind going into 2nd and 3rd. I picked up a 1984 RX7 GSL-SE for $400 that had some parts that I could use. Some friends and I pulled the motor and transmission from the car and bolted the GSL-SE trans up to the 12A that was in it. The new transmission moved the shifter back in the car about 8 to 10 inches. It actually helped, when I was strapped in to race it moved the shifter closer to where I needed it.

Mid transmission swap.

So with a new car and a couple of stickers added I was off to the races. My first race out the car was on street tires. I had a blast and the car would turn at the slightest hint of movement from the steering wheel. At that race I got to talking to one of the older guys that raced with us. I found out he actually built the car back in the 80's. He had sold it to the guy I bought it from with a blown motor. He picked up the car for free from a wrecking company here in Sioux Falls. it had an automatic transmission in it. The car had come from Cali, flat towed, in gear and it destroyed the drive train. So with a little history and a previous owner looking to see how the car would do I bought these.

Non DOT Hoosier R45 slicks in 13x7 Panasport knockoffs.

More to come.

·
Registered
984 Posts
aw man id kill for an old RX!!! :D Feking cool cars, please change that colour though bro!

an RX3 ugh..

·
Mr. Swisher
1,430 Posts
My great grandma bought a rx2 brand new. She used to tell me stories of how she would outrun the cops going 120+. I've always had love for these old things. Looks like a fun car!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now as with any old car, things started to fall apart. The seats were park benches by todays standard. I picked up a raggedy set of Del Sol seats for 40 bucks and fabbed up some brackets to make them work.

My friend Marcus hard at work on fabbing up the seat rails.

New seats and harnesses in for the car.

The car made a trip out to Rapid City for a race and the 35 year old radiator sprung a leak. Big surprise right? The replacement came from a Candian company via Ebay. Now she has a nice shiney new radiator.

While the radiator was out, the suspension was taken apart. No pics from here on out of the changes. Things were moving too fast to stop and take pics. The local tuner shop had been sitting on a set of Ground Control coilovers for a Mazda MX6 for several years. Turns out the sleeves slip over the strut housings on the front of the RX2. The front strut inserts were purchased for a 1st gen RX7 and needed a spacer to make it fit properly. In the rear, I was not able to locate RX2 struts, but we did have some spare blown Miata struts for test fitting. Turns out the fronts from a 97 NA are a good fit the the rear of the car.

So thats where the car sits now. There was a few more changes that I did not document. Mostly because some were so minor they were forgotten. I am moving on from this car at this time, but I thought one last trip down memory lane would be fun to share.

Thanks for reading and looking.

·
Mnt Climber/ Trail Runner
180 Posts
That thing ROCKS!!!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
These cars are so neat! I actually found a full RX3 Wagon at a junkyard and took about 45 minutes just digging through it and looking at how they did stuff.

also snagged the huge old school rotary emblem from the front grill :D

GLWB, should be pretty sweet :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts