ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I figured I'd put one of my other projects on here for whoever is interested/hasn't seen my Civic already. Haha

I guess I'll start from the beginning, since that's usually how it works. I purchased my '92 VX bone stock on July 19, 2009 from a private party in Dallas. It was totally unmolested and ran like a champ, with it's 1.5 liters of fury, putting out 92 horsepower. Besides the normal dents and dings that are expected from an 18 year-old, 160,000 mile Honda, it really was in GREAT shape. It sat high as hell, and looked...well...like this:

Nothing too pleasing to the eyes, but I saw it as a blank canvas. :)
I said I wouldn't do anything to it while it was my daily, but that plan was quickly disregarded... Haha
The first things I did were straighten out the radiator support as much as possible, buy any trim it was missing, Nightshade the corners and (lightly) the tails, get a TWM short throw, and purchase the OEM rocker moldings. Basically taking back to completely stock condition, plus a few goodies, of course. ;)

After that, the obscene ride height got unbearable, and since I wasn't supposed to be spending crazy money on anything, I just got some crappy eBay coilover sleeves for $40, just so I could bear to look at the car. I also got some 5% tint installed to keep the OK heat at bay.

It stayed like that for a little while, since I was using it to commute to college every day and such, but eventually I had to do something else to it to keep me entertained. I ended up taking the adjustable sleeves out from the eBay setup, so it would just be the springs. This gave me the lowest ride height I could get with this cheapo setup. I also got tired of a dent that was on the hood, so I fixed the dent and painted the hood with chalkboard paint, which added a nice touch of fun and character. To get some uber mad tight JDM flair, I got the JDM lip from the SiR-II and got some 6000k HIDs installed.

At about this time is when I was finishing my second semester of college, and I had decided not to go back for the time being. So the first thing I did was buy the coilover setup I had planned on from the get-go. Koni SP3/Ground Control combo with extended tophats all around, 650 lb. in. rates in front and 550 in back. I set them as low as they could go, and was very pleased with what I saw, except there was a tiny amount of reverse rake. The front upper control arms had bottomed out on the top of the strut tower, so I rolled like this for a while until I addressed the problem.

Shortly thereafter, I figured it was time to go all out and get my stance in check. I modified the strut towers to clear the control arms, and then proceeded to order my wheel and tire setup. Since it was my daily, I wanted something that I didn't have to worry TOO much about, but that would still be crazy and eye-catching. I turned to Diamond Racing for a set of their custom steelies, which have become very popular in the wheel fitment world. So while I waited for the wheels, I took a few last shots of the car before it would be forever changed...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
After the usual 2 week turnaround time, my wheels finally arrived. I had the tires sitting in my room, so I rushed to get them mounted. It was too late to go to my usual shop, and I was turned down from several places due to the stretch, so I had the last place just mount the tires so I could seat the beads. I got the fronts seated with ease, but the rears...just weren't happening. The next morning, I went to my usual shop, where they whipped out the Cheetah bead blaster to attempt to seat the rears. It took 5 or 6 tries and several different techniques, but they FINALLY got it. And this was the result...

It stayed this way for a few weeks, gathering a very unexpected amount of attention around the web and blowing everyones mind, that saw it in person. I was asked if it actually drove or if it was on bags on a daily basis by EVERYONE. The mailman, the UPS guy, a Starbucks barista, customers at Starbucks, guys at auto stores...everyone. Up to this point, I had been pulled over 3 times for throwing sparks, once for being too low and the car "coming off of the road", and I had scraped my factory exhaust system completely off, piece by piece, leaving shrapnel at numerous locations on my daily commutes. I was having a blast with this car, but then...the oil pan got smashed against the oil sender, starving the motor of oil. She was down, but not out.

Instead of rebuilding the useless motor it had, I took this opportunity to buy the motor I had wanted all along. A JDM B16A with the LSD tranny and Hasport mounts from H-Motors Online. Why a B16A? To keep it true to its roots. :) Unfortunately, my 3 year relationship with the girl of my dreams was ended very sourly shortly after I ordered the motor, sending me into a nice little depression, which led to me losing my job. My $800 camera was also stolen out of my car one night, so that certainly didn't help matters.
BUT once the motor arrived, a friend and I took out the factory motor one evening, then installed the new motor the next. The first drive with this motor was a thrill, to say the least. The sound of the motor and V-Tec engaging, the power, watching the factory tach needle go completely off of the 8,000 rpm gauge... It was definitely a great choice.

Fast forward to mid-2011, a few mods and mishaps later... I FINALLY got the body work process going. We shaved the antenna, hatch keyhole, washer nozzles, emblems, and front license plate tabs, replaced all exterior moldings, got the car straighter than straight, and then sprayed it with Aston Martin Morning Frost White. It's a very bright white with a fine blue pearl in it, which was PERFECT.

To get ready for summer of '12, I have some new Meisters arriving in early March, then I just need a Spoon mirror (yes, singular :) ) for it to pretty much finish up the outside, then maybe get some interior and motor bits gathered up through the year. But now that I've also got a Miata project to keep up with, as well as making sure the Tib is going strong, the purchases are gonna be a little scattered! Haha

·
Motorboat Captain
9,990 Posts
Pretty cool.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, guys! :mrgreen:

i hate hondas but you're making me want one . . .

i love your paint mann
Thanks, I love it too. :D Right when I saw the blue pearl in it in a paint sample book, I knew I had to have it!

Was this on stance nation?
Haha, yeah, a while back. Early '11, I think? A couple of months before the respray and such.

I dislike steelies but your car pulls em off!
Thanks! I've grown to dislike them as well, so I can't wait to get the Meisters on it! 4.75" and 5.5" lips FTW. The steelies suited the car really well until I got the repaint. Now I just feel it's too clean for them!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, here's a little update. :D

I'm a little jittery from excitement, so I'll try to take a couple of better pics once I get used to the fact that I have Meisters sitting in my dining room. Haha :alright

I don't know that I've ever opened boxes as quickly as I just did!

·
fender gap is the enemy
2,103 Posts
wow nice, ive been lookin for a honda for a commuter. been leanin towards a hatch or wagon. cant wait to see them meisters mounted!

·
Registered
967 Posts
Ahh yes, the EG style hatchback. The car that got me into cars when all my friends had them in high school. I've owned 2 in my short lifetime. Sorry to say but I wish the whole stanced out thing had never caught on with these cars because despite my hatred of front wheel drive, the EG and EK style civic hatchbacks are probably some of the most potent road racers with the FF drive configuration. Luckily Honda made millions of these so I don't think they will ever become rare, I just wish the fuction still outweighed the form on these, but sadly those days are over.

With regards to your car specifically, it certainly looks better than all the primered D series hatchbacks running around, I just hope you'll put a track set up on it and take it to a road course once in a while as that's where these really become a whole different kind of car.

·
Jolly Roadster
391 Posts
Car is looking good man, can't wait to see it with the new wheels. Go eat some Mazzio's for me.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I hope you go back to school.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thanks guys! Much appreciated. :)

Looks really nice, great color choice! Those Works will look awesome!
Wish i could drop a b16 in my NA...
Haha, I've always thought that a B-series would be fun in a Miata.

Ahh yes, the EG style hatchback. The car that got me into cars when all my friends had them in high school. I've owned 2 in my short lifetime. Sorry to say but I wish the whole stanced out thing had never caught on with these cars because despite my hatred of front wheel drive, the EG and EK style civic hatchbacks are probably some of the most potent road racers with the FF drive configuration. Luckily Honda made millions of these so I don't think they will ever become rare, I just wish the fuction still outweighed the form on these, but sadly those days are over.

With regards to your car specifically, it certainly looks better than all the primered D series hatchbacks running around, I just hope you'll put a track set up on it and take it to a road course once in a while as that's where these really become a whole different kind of car.
I know what you mean, for sure. Seeing the track ones is initially what got me interested in them! Back when it was just lowered a little, even with the SUPER weak D15, it was fun as hell on curvy roads and on/off ramps. I just love seeing it how it is now, and I always get a huge smile when I get on it down a long, empty road. For me, it fits the bill pretty nicely. It'd certainly be fun to set it up and take it to a track, but I just have fun driving it around as it is. :)

I hope you go back to school.
Random? Haha BUT I am back in school, if that wasn't mentioned in the original post. So it's allll good! ;)

1 - 20 of 74 Posts