ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Brunettes > Blondes
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently noticed that my car is hard to start at times. I turn the key and it sounds like its about to start and after a couple seconds (longer than usual) it turns over. But sometimes i will hear a squeaking kind of sound when the car first starts, and the rpms are noticibaly lower. once the squeaking sound goes away the rpms seem to go back to normal. Is this an alternator issue? Thanks

·
Registered
716 Posts
The squeaking is usually a loose or worn belt. I'd get the CCA on your battery checked. If it's not that, and the car consistently cranks, the alt. is probably at fault.

·
Brunettes > Blondes
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually changed the alternator belt & ac+ps belt less than a month ago. Luckily I have a backup alternator in my garage

·
I'm a little teapot
5,764 Posts
If the CCA and Alt. come back good then it might be a wiring issue where something is intermittently grounding out. You might also want to check where the wiring connects to your starter. Drop in current here means a drop in Starter torque. Also, it's unlikely, but you might have worn starter teeth so the starter spins but has trouble turning the engine over.

Sorry, used to sell starters and Alts., hope these help.

·
Brunettes > Blondes
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok just drove 6 and a half hours and when my gas got below a quarter of a tank and I tried to accelerate, the car would start jumping and sometimes not respond when I push in the gas. I pulled over to a gas station. When i took the gas cap off, the idle started being wierd and the car sounded like it was about to stall so i turned off the car and filled up the tank a little. I let the car sit for a little while then started it up again and it seemed fine. I looked at the alternator and it looked as though the tensioner may be loose. The issue seemed to occur when the car was getting low on gas. Any ideas?

·
Registered
24 Posts
To answer your question about the squeal when you start, the belt just needs to be tightened a bit. As far as the issues with the starting, I'm clueless because I seem to have the same problem with my Civic

·
Registered
626 Posts
i have a similar incident happen to me earlier today.
i tried starting the car, it turned over but took a bit longer than it usually does. when i got to the place i turned off the car and eventually tried to start it. i turn the key and nothing happens, but all the lights and radio turn on as expected. good thing i was at an alarm shop. he first tested the battery and he said it was ok, so it was the starter. he gave it a couple hits with a long metal tube while i tried to start the car and it worked.

when i tried to replicate the problem at home, it now starts every time. so my question is, should i replace it as soon as possible? and does it really matter if it is refurb [IE RockAuto] or new?

·
Brunettes > Blondes
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i need the timing belt/water pump done on my car. there's a place in GA close to me called Choice Powersports that does a $350 (parts&labor) job. Is that sketchy......or awesome? lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts