ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I love overly-dramatic titles and making build threads, I figured I'd FINALLY start one, now that I feel I've got enough going to make it somewhat interesting. :cool:

Well, it all started on May 20th, which was the day I picked the car up. Since my other 2 cars are not suitable for some college daily driving, I knew I had to have a Miata. It was a totally stock '96 with the leather package (obviously), two-owner, all records, and right at 100,000 miles with all services done, including a new clutch. :mrgreen: Not perfect, but pretty damned clean! So here's the first pic I took of it. This is like an hour after getting it at my friend's house, cell phone camera ablaze:

A day or two later, I got down on the detailing action. There were some dull spots, but I knew I could bring 90% of it back to life. And I was successful! The finish panel and mirrors were the only thing that didn't totally shine up (as usual).

Over the next couple of months, I pretty much just drove it and enjoyed it, in between moving things to my new place by my college. I purchased a couple of little things to make it a bit more fun, but I was just loving having an easily drivable car. One day I was taking pictures of my Civic, and then I decided to throw the Miata in a couple for fun. Here's one of those...

With winter coming up, I decided to pick up a hardtop. I hate the tan soft top, anyways. So within a week, I found EXACTLY what I was after: one of the earliest tops, with no headliner and no defrost. PERFECT! Only thing was...it was in terrible shape. Cracks, chips, missing pieces, mind-fucked tint...the whole 9 yards. So I bought new EVERYTHING (seals, hardware, gaskets, glass, etc.) for it, along with some Rennenmetal brackets, and then my body guy worked his magic on it. It came out better than I could've imagined! I also had him shave and paint my faded-ass finish panel, so the ol' Miata was lookin' fly after that. After like a month of having that stuff done, I FINALLY got these pictures of the car today:

Also, over the last few weeks, I've been collecting parts to install as winter comes and goes. :) Here's the stash I've got set aside, at the moment:

Pictured:
-14x7" +19 RPF1s (perfect, until I do a crazy setup)
-185/55-14 SS595s
-949 valve stems
-4.44 ring and pinion (equivalent to a 4.6 with the tires)
-Maruha 4.6 FD speedometer gear
-Stance GR+
-5" 10 kg/mm Swift springs
-MegaSquirt PNP
-Energy diff bushings
-MiataRoadster lower diff mounts
-MiataRoadster rack plugs
-OEM P/S delete bracket
-iConcept tie rods w/ spacers
-Super Now! tie rod ends
-Zeromotive e-brake handle
-RevLimiter HVAC panel

I'm still waiting on a few parts (like my backordered R-package lip :cry2:), but as I begin to install this stuff, I will certainly keep this updated. :)

As for what's installed right now:
-Racing Beat intake
-M-Tuned metallic core cat
-Racing Beat 5/8" rear sway bar
-949 endlinks
-Moddiction Anvil II

Now that I got all of that out of the way, keep on the look out for interesting updates! I try to keep things fairly lively. :fab:

·
Accepting donations.
3,366 Posts
Nice on the PS delete pulley. If you don't want it I know someone who would. Also what R&P is that you have there?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like this car is going to be sweet once you're done. Nice parts.
Thanks, man! I'm really looking forward to seeing it come together, myself. :mrgreen: And I try to stick with quality/uncommon parts. :cool:

Nice build! I love the shaved finish panel and the hard top. You've got my wheels!
Thanks! I was worried about how the finish panel might look, but I really like it. And I do, indeed, have your wheels! Haha They're so stupidly light... I HAD to have them. Can't wait to order my SSRs, though. :mrgreen:

Love everything you have so far! This will be a great build.
Thanks! I'm always striving for greatness. :p And enjoy those tophats!

Nice on the PS delete pulley. If you don't want it I know someone who would. Also what R&P is that you have there?
Haha, yeah, it was the last one 2ndchanceroadster had! I lucked out. Definitely holding on to it. :blaugh:
And it's a 4.44. I can't wait to install that! With the 185/55s, it'll be like a 4.6 with stock rolling diameter. :winky: I might go a little steeper once it's not a DD anymore... :twisted:

·
Accepting donations.
3,366 Posts
Haha, yeah, it was the last one 2ndchanceroadster had! I lucked out. Definitely holding on to it. :blaugh:
And it's a 4.44. I can't wait to install that! With the 185/55s, it'll be like a 4.6 with stock rolling diameter. :winky: I might go a little steeper once it's not a DD anymore... :twisted:
Holy shat man, I guess that gives away that you will be an NA beast down the road.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Holy shat man, I guess that gives away that you will be an NA beast down the road.
Haha, that it does. :p I just can't break my addiction to all motor builds! I'll probably pick up another block and a BP-4W head to build in the summer, if I'm not in the middle of anything with the Civic or Tiburon.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, got 2 tires mounted while I was at work yesterday! That's all I could fit in the car, unfortunately. Even with the passenger seat out! Haha I like them more than I expected! The 185/55 is SUPER square on there.

I did do a test fit, as well. Not too bad! Definitely not what I'm used to seeing during my test fits, though. Haha
But there's no way I'm putting them on without the coilovers. The gap was even more horrendous than ever!
I also ordered some black Leggdura lugs today, so I'll be ready for action. :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks! :) One piece at a time...

Last night I went about installing the MSPNP, which was very straight-forward, BUT my MacBook Pro wouldn't connect to the ECU. :cry2: I was afraid of that (even though I could open the tuning software and all), so I just hooked the stock ECU back up and left the MS next to it, since my passenger seat is out while I transport my wheels and tires to work.
After that, I hopped on the interweb and paid for a new netbook and disc drive, which I picked up from Best Buy today. :)
Needless to say...

...it was a success! Sorry for the darkness. I just went and hooked it all back up for a quick pic. Haha

So now that is crossed off of the list! :cool: Progress FTW.

·
Accepting donations.
3,366 Posts
MBP wouldn't hook up as in you did not solder in the USB port or a different other problem?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MBP wouldn't hook up as in you did not solder in the USB port or a different other problem?
Different problem, unfortunately. :( BUT I needed a Windows netbook anyways, so I could run Hondata for my Civic, as well. So it's all good! :)

·
Accepting donations.
3,366 Posts
You want to help us out?

I plan on using MS on my mac, are you using Tuner studio?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You want to help us out?

I plan on using MS on my mac, are you using Tuner studio?
I downloaded TS when I was messing with it last night, but I just couldn't get it to work, for some reason. Granted, I didn't mess with it TOO much, but I didn't find any mass amounts of info regarding MS on OSX, either. :oops:
I hate the whole Mac/Windows barrier, so I wasn't too motivated to dive into figuring out a solution. I just wanted to have it work easily, without having to find ways to make the software work. So a netbook, it was! Haha
BUT, there's an app that allows you to run a lot of Windows stuff on your Mac (WinOnX), but of course, it still has it's barriers. It will download everything from the MS disc and run MegaTune and everything, but unless you can get the ECU to communicate with the laptop, you're just stuck looking at the pretty gauges on the screen. :| You may be more inclined to dive into it, but I didn't find any quick, solid solution after searching for a good while. Then again, I'm not any kind of 'programming wizard'. Haha

·
Accepting donations.
3,366 Posts
Well I have XP installed in parallels if I run into some problems I can try that route. Thanks for that heads up though. I am no wizard either, and this will be my first tuning experience so I still have a lot of studying.

Good luck with your tuning!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I have XP installed in parallels if I run into some problems I can try that route. Thanks for that heads up though. I am no wizard either, and this will be my first tuning experience so I still have a lot of studying.

Good luck with your tuning!
AH! You SHOULD be okay, then. I had a baaad experience trying to partition my hard drive to run XP (the program erased EVERYTHING on my laptop), so I will NOT try that again. Haha

But thanks! And good luck to you, as well! It's definitely fun, once you know where to start. :)

1 - 20 of 96 Posts