ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Supporting Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the differential on my '99 exploded. After taking it out and ordering a replacement diff from a 1996 miata, I get the new diff in the mail and its a lot bigger than the one I took off my car. It has a rubber thing behind the driveshaft flange. This is a real 1.8 diff.

So... lol. And **** whoever owned this car before me.

Questions:

All I need to make the 1.8 diff work on my '99 is a 94-00 5 speed driveshaft and 99-05 axle shafts right?

Is there a 'left' and 'right' axle shaft or can I just order two 'left' axle shafts. Is there actually a difference? (Ebay people can be retarded)

All this should be fine even if I have a 1.6 transmission, right? I couldn't really tell if I did or not but after pulling a 1.6 diff off my 99 I honestly would not be surprised.

Is there anything else I need to swap a 1.8 differential into my NB? (lol.. that question.. **** my life..)

Cheers!

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Weird.. You will also need a 1.8 driveshaft/1.8 driveshaft bolts along with the axels and 1.8 housing you already mentioned.

·
Supporting Member
2,284 Posts
Axleshafts are the same on each side...2 different styles of axleshafts...2 piece with the stub shaft or one piece...either will work.

·
Supporting Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Axleshafts are the same on each side...2 different styles of axleshafts...2 piece with the stub shaft or one piece...either will work.
Awesome. I ordered two 'left side axle shafts' from ebay hoping it was just some junkyard dude who doesn't realize they are the same. Glad to know they're the same.

Ordered a 1.8 driveshaft too. I'm hoping all the hardware they used for the 1.6 stuff will work.

Now, any ideas why in the **** some idiot put a 1.6 vlsd diff on a '99? $1050 out of my pocket for a 100k mile 1.8 torsen diff, used 80k mile driveshaft, and used 88k mile axle shafts.

·
Premium Member
6,343 Posts
Hahahah, this reminds me a lot of my plan to buy a 2001+, swap the entire drivetrain with my 1990 and sell it to Carmax.

I am a terrible person.

·
Supporting Member
2,284 Posts
Ordered a 1.8 driveshaft too. I'm hoping all the hardware they used for the 1.6 stuff will work.

If that actually was a 1.6 rear in your 99..then..
Driveshaft bolts are different...hopefully the replacement driveshaft comes with the bolts. Call Steve at Planet Miata...he probably has some.

Just for future reference..

http://www.miata.net/garage/diffguide/index.html

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Hahahah, this reminds me a lot of my plan to buy a 2001+, swap the entire drivetrain with my 1990 and sell it to Carmax.

I am a terrible person.
That is awesome.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think my conscience would get to me first :p
Glad to hear it. The first post was alarming. This is the kind of thievery that cost the OP. Obviously the previous owner traded the diff with some one with a 1.6, pocketed the $$ and sold the car. As far as I'm concerned, it's theft by deceiving and totally illegal. If the original owner or whoever sold the car with the inferior diff can be located, there is a good chance they would have to make it good and possibly could go to jail if the judge gets pissed.

I hate people like that :p

·
Registered
363 Posts
carmax wouldn't take that... they aren't stupid..
Enhhhhh certainly not recommending anyone do it, but I'd be very surprised if whatever carmax tech could spot it, the biggest giveaways would be, what, the intake tube/valve cover?

I know people used to rent mustangs and swap the v8s for their v6s lolol.

·
Premium Member
6,343 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, it's theft by deceiving and totally illegal. If the original owner or whoever sold the car with the inferior diff can be located, there is a good chance they would have to make it good and possibly could go to jail if the judge gets pissed.
Haahaahaha. No. If the buyer looks over the car and the owner doesn't describe it as a car with a 1.8, there's nothing illegal. Caveat Emptor. Doesn't mean I'll do it, but unless it was intentionally described as not being swapped, etc, I don't see anything coming of it.

Furthermore, they could have easily broken their diff and swapped in a 1.6 as a cheap replacement to keep the car running. That's illegal?

I know people used to rent mustangs and swap the v8s for their v6s lolol.
Whoa what? Details please

·
Registered
648 Posts
Not so much anymore, but some of the club racers in the 60s used to rent them and pull the motors out for the race weekend, reinstall the V8 into the rental and return it to the rental agency after the weekend.

·
Supporting Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got my car back up and running again.

1.8 '96 torsen diff (4.1 ratio)... $700
1.8 '99 Driveshaft $100
1.8 '99 Driveshaft Bolts $5
1.8 '00 Axle Shafts $100
1.8 '99 Axle Nuts $10
1.8 '99 PPF Bolts $25
1.8 '99 PPF Spacer $40

Time of removal & install: 5hrs and two trips to the hardware store.

Final result: Car moves. 4.1 ratio diff has perceptibly slower accel, but worth saving $200 over probably.

Leftover parts: A bunch of 1.6 NA bullshit.

If you're buying a 1.8L miata, check under the car for shenanigans.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts