ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Banned
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Enter my 95M, I was 15yrs old when the car was purchased from an auction it had been totalled due to head on collision for $500. I've spent about a year planning this and purchasing parts and so forth. We started out last saturday night, grabbed my tools from the house and gathered the parts and the laptop and a 12 pack of High Life.

WILL BE UPDATED DAILY!

Pictures are slow to come by because I have yet to drive back to my house to get my USB cable, but give me a few days and i'll have them pouring in. The car is my DD so no huge power goals here just aiming for some more smiles my way and more frowns from the srt-4 crowd :lol:. Decided to try the "over the top" IC pipe routing (pictures to come) because it seems if some people are intimidated by trying it.

Engine/Drivetrain-
Stock 1.8 bottom end, no modifications at all. 140k on the clock.
Mild head work (3 angle valve job, port match)
Stock Cams
323 GTX PCV Valve
ACT HD Clutch Kit (pressure plate, street disc)
Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel (I believe around 8lbs?)
Stock 1.8 Torsen Diff and Trans. (Redline Fluids)

Fuel & Ignition-
90 RX-7 460cc Injectors (cleaned and flow tested courtesy RC)
Stock Fuel Rail
NGK BKR7E Spark Plugs (gapped .28)
Stock Coils and Belken wires
Stock Fuel Pump

Engine Management-
Braineack Standalone MS-1 w/harness (Brain is definitely dopeshitzz :slayer:)
Innovate LC-1 Wideband/Controller
Innovate DB Blue Gauge
Tunerstudio

Turbo Goodies-
T3/T04E .50 compressor trim, .63 turbine A/R (oil cooled only)
ARTech Stainless Steel Manifold (BEAUTIFUL PIECE!)
EM-USA External Wastegate (5psi spring)
Synchronic Synapse BOV
Custom 2.5" Downpipe and wastegate dump
ARTech 3" Stainless Exhaust
ARTech -4an Oil Feed line, 1/2" Gates return hose
BEGi Fittings (return and feed)
Chrysler Conquest FMIC w/modded endtanks
CXRacing DIY IC pipe kit

:ttiwwp:

About 98% Completed!! More Pictures to come!

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
Subscribed. Looking forward to your build. I'd trade my car in a heart beat for a decent Merlot :cry2:

·
Banned
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good choice of turbo, I'm sure you'll be very happy with it.

yea i've seen the proven disco potato time and time again and just wanted to really try something different. I was a little skeptical when purchasing but I believe this turbo will do well by me for usable street power.

·
Registered
161 Posts
yea i've seen the proven disco potato time and time again and just wanted to really try something different. I was a little skeptical when purchasing but I believe this turbo will do well by me for usable street power.
I'll see if I can get a datalog on my way home tonight, but with my MBC turned way down on a 120k 1.6l, I'm seeing 11psi at 4k with the same turbo according to the gauges on my dash.

·
Banned
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll see if I can get a datalog on my way home tonight, but with my MBC turned way down on a 120k 1.6l, I'm seeing 11psi at 4k with the same turbo according to the gauges on my dash.
that definitely sounds good man!

care to share any characteristics of that turbo? what modifications to motor and general spool time? had it dynoed?

·
Registered
161 Posts
that definitely sounds good man!

care to share any characteristics of that turbo? what modifications to motor and general spool time? had it dynoed?
Motor is a completely bone stock 1.6. I get ~2psi/2800 ~5psi/3400 and ~10-11psi/4200. Its interesting though, it seems to be the characteristic of larger journal bearing turbochargers that the boost increase is not linear. It 'hangs' at 2psi and then again at 5, then around 3500-3600rpm it suddenly rushes to 10-11 and holds it all the way to redline. To be honest, I like it a lot more than my little 50 trim t3. The boost threshold was lower, but the sudden 'jerk' was never really appealing to me. I also subscribe to the notion that the big hit early in the rpm range is what kills so many people's diffs/transmissions/rods (that and driving like an asshole).

I haven't dynoed the car yet, but I'll be going to a dyno day on the 10th and I'm going to attempt running it at 12-14psi as long as I can get my new fuel pump installed so my IDCs come down a touch (currently 89%). I'll be sure to share results after that.

Edit: I'd also like to throw in that I plan on switching to a log manifold in the near future which I'm hoping will help keep the boost threshold a tad lower. One of the local guys running a larger turbo that I was at the time was experiencing much faster boost response using a JGS log manifold (I'm using a begi mani). Plus I really want some more room for a 3" dp :D.

·
Banned
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Motor is a completely bone stock 1.6. I get ~2psi/2800 ~5psi/3400 and ~10-11psi/4200. Its interesting though, it seems to be the characteristic of larger journal bearing turbochargers that the boost increase is not linear. It 'hangs' at 2psi and then again at 5, then around 3500-3600rpm it suddenly rushes to 10-11 and holds it all the way to redline. To be honest, I like it a lot more than my little 50 trim t3. The boost threshold was lower, but the sudden 'jerk' was never really appealing to me. I also subscribe to the notion that the big hit early in the rpm range is what kills so many people's diffs/transmissions/rods (that and driving like an asshole).

I haven't dynoed the car yet, but I'll be going to a dyno day on the 10th and I'm going to attempt running it at 12-14psi as long as I can get my new fuel pump installed so my IDCs come down a touch (currently 89%). I'll be sure to share results after that.

Edit: I'd also like to throw in that I plan on switching to a log manifold in the near future which I'm hoping will help keep the boost threshold a tad lower. One of the local guys running a larger turbo that I was at the time was experiencing much faster boost response using a JGS log manifold (I'm using a begi mani). Plus I really want some more room for a 3" dp :D.

so you had a t3 .50 trim? and now using the same turbo as i have or no?
what size injectors are you on?

·
Registered
161 Posts
so you had a t3 .50 trim? and now using the same turbo as i have or no?
what size injectors are you on?
Correct. I am currently using the same turbo you have (which is why I chimed in, so you would know what to look forward to :). I'm not so dickish as to attempt a threadjack :p)

I'm using 450cc injectors right now.

·
Banned
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
*Update*
Sent off the intercooler piping yesterday to have the BOV flange welded on, got a text from the welder today that said he was sick and didnt get it done :roll:....

Also, still waiting on my injectors to come in, had ordered a set of "rx7 460s" about 6 months ago and didn't think/worry about checking to make sure they were right, went to put them in and come to find out they aren't what I was told :evil: they are low resistance, and have different style connector clips. So now I have brand new JGS injector resistors that I dont need, and a set of low resistance RX-7 injectors. Anybody want some injectors/resistors lol?​

·
Registered
161 Posts
*Update*

Also, still waiting on my injectors to come in, had ordered a set of "rx7 460s" about 6 months ago and didn't think/worry about checking to make sure they were right, went to put them in and come to find out they aren't what I was told :evil: they are low resistance, and have different style connector clips. So now I have brand new JGS injector resistors that I dont need, and a set of low resistance RX-7 injectors. Anybody want some injectors/resistors lol?​
You DO need resistors with low-z injectors (or rather, you CAN run them. Or you can run PWM limiting code if you run the non HR firmware on your MS). Just call up diyautotune and order some "bosch ev-1" clips. They run like 5 bucks apiece and are super easy to install.

·
Banned
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Correct. I am currently using the same turbo you have (which is why I chimed in, so you would know what to look forward to :). I'm not so dickish as to attempt a threadjack :p)

I'm using 450cc injectors right now.

Ah ok good deal, lol I was slightly confused by the context. I'm going to be sitting on 5psi for a while, either til' I get a boost controller or new wastegate spring. I have some extra wastegate springs but have no clue what boost level they are for, and can't find out what they are for the life of me.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Ah ok good deal, lol I was slightly confused by the context. I'm going to be sitting on 5psi for a while, either til' I get a boost controller or new wastegate spring. I have some extra wastegate springs but have no clue what boost level they are for, and can't find out what they are for the life of me.
Google "surge limit". Hop on ebay and buy an 'nxs' boost controller. Its a fairly nice ball & spring controller that goes for <$30. Install the 460s, turn the boost up to at least 10psi (preferably 12+) ball hard.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts