ClubRoadster.net banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I have some on my Jetta, I would say just go ahead and get some, because I think they are a discontinued size, and the performance tire market for 14's has been all but abandoned

Edit: I can post pictures of how they fir on my wheels if youd like

If I could get pics of them on a Miata that would be awesome, but I'm not sure if your pics would help, thanks anyways though!
What I really want to know is if the smaller tire size looks silly on the rims that already don't fill the wheel wells at all with stock tires. I know it will change speedo readout and cruising rpm, but I don't go on highway much anyways so nbd. I might just throw another set of all seasons on the stockers until I can afford the rims I want in 15" with better tire selection. Also that way if I want to go out in colder weather when we move to where they don't salt the roads for next winter then I can without too much worry on all seasons.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If I could get pics of them on a Miata that would be awesome, but I'm not sure if your pics would help, thanks anyways though!
What I really want to know is if the smaller tire size looks silly on the rims that already don't fill the wheel wells at all with stock tires. I know it will change speedo readout and cruising rpm, but I don't go on highway much anyways so nbd. I might just throw another set of all seasons on the stockers until I can afford the rims I want in 15" with better tire selection. Also that way if I want to go out in colder weather when we move to where they don't salt the roads for next winter then I can without too much worry on all seasons.
Well they're not as short of a sidewall as you might think, its a very straight sidewall, its not stretched or ballooned out and i'm sure if you got the wheels spaced out properly, they'd look a lot more aggressive than youd expect. Theyre at the perfect spot between balloon tires, and stretched rubber bands, I say go for it man

185/55/14 by MK3 LUV, on Flickr

If you poke around on my Flickr some, youll see a couple of other pics of how they fit, and I can take down that picture out of the thread if you want it gone.

Edit: My original thread over on Vortex when I was comtemplating getting them
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6875338-Anyone-running-185-55-14-on-a-14x6

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well they're not as short of a sidewall as you might think, its a very straight sidewall, its not stretched or ballooned out and i'm sure if you got the wheels spaced out properly, they'd look a lot more aggressive than youd expect. Theyre at the perfect spot between balloon tires, and stretched rubber bands, I say go for it man
That info and pic was actually very helpful, still not 100% on what tires to get but I have a while to decide, all ready saving a bunch of money as I found a shop just south of border that will get them form tire rack and switch up so I can drive home on new tires! Also got tire money and some good tools for Xmas so hopefully the car makes some progress soon!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Keep us posted, let us know what you decide man

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It's cold out, real cold... So I don't spend much time in garage, there are a few things I have done recently that I have yet to share though. I have done quite a bit of work just cleaning stuff up whenever we get a warm day, taking things in the engine bay apart and scrubbing away the years of grime. Any rusty brackets have been removed and sandblasted to be resprayed when its not -20C out!

Also got the valve cover back from powdercoating, looks sweet!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Nice and clean car, GL with the build! Only thing is that radiator looks ready to bite the bullet. I'm also curious, how many k's are on your car?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Nice and clean car, GL with the build! Only thing is that radiator looks ready to bite the bullet. I'm also curious, how many k's are on your car?
Yeah, the radiator is looking a bit worrying. I have heard that the green could mean it is done for, but I have also heard many people say they went tens of thousands of miles with a green one. Sadley, with shipping to Canada a new radiator is not as cheap as it is in the U.S. I think I may try tackle it in spring though, and delete the non functional AC at the same time its out. But it will have to wait until spring so I can get longer than 15 minutes at a time in the garage, and so I can take it to have AC drained.

Car has ~172,000km on it, only just over 100,000 miles. Not high milage by any means, but certainly not low either!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I need to start updating this thread again, I had kinda stopped on it as not much was happening, and compared to all the other builds up here it is bland. But work is happening again so lets get updated!

Shift Knob

First thing I did over winter was refinish the shift knob, I love the wood look but hate the weight, decided to refinish the cracked paint and clear, I may replace it with somthing metal just for the feel, but for now I love the look!

Before:

After:

Then I got it all bolted back together to run!

Got the new CAS O ring, Valve cover gasket, PCV Valve, and various hoses installed, and fresh Mobil 1 Synthetic!

Got it all bolted back together, and man does this engine bay ever look good. I may be biased, but it's gotta be one of the best looking stock engine bays on a 170,000km+ Daily driver I have ever seen!

And the season begins!

Then I got it running and have been driving the crap out of it ever since!

Went up to Dave's garage in Toronto again for a meetup! Over 100 Miatas at this one, from all ranges of stock to turbos to v8 swaps!

Got some inspiration for a few different ideas, saw vehicles with the wheels, suspension, and body mods I am looking into, defiantly excited to start modding, most will probably have to wait until after the move mid summer though...!

Door Cards:

I haven't shown it yet because it was embarrassing, but when swapping out the radio, I accidentally knocked work light over, melting a bubble into the drivers side door card vinyl. So I dropped by a local upholstery shop and got a yard of quality vinyl, that matched the colour of the old vinyl PERFECT, and had a slightly different texture that looked great.

Here goes!...

First, pulled the door card out, this is the passenger one so not the damaged one...

Here is the bubble on the damaged one...

Pulled the top piece off card...

Traced design very roughly onto new vinyl!

Cut it all out

And all together!

Looks fantastic, tiny wrinkles on passenger one I fixed after pictures, but drivers side one is flawless!

Also re did armrest with a bunch of foam and vinyl over, you can see that peeking through in the last picture!

Looks really good, and close to stock, if I want to do something less stock in the future, this was a cheap and easy job I will gladly do again!

Now we are pretty much up to date, this week we are fixing the rust on passenger side rocker/quarter, and I will be sure to take pictures of the whole process! Then some fun stuff comes! At the end of July we are moving across the country to Vancouver Island in B.C., and of course the car is coming with me! This means a new garage, some new roads, and even more fun!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Finally, the big updated I keep promising, killing than rocker/quarter panel rust. Of course like every rust sitiuation, it was worse than we thought. This repair was a free one from a shop I have been doing a COOP program with for high school, I work for them, and get experience in autobody, and school credits for my time. I just graduated from my final year (Grade 12) this week, and as a thanks for my time with them they helped me patch up the car. They did it propper, it is not just filled, but cut out, and new metal welded in, however it is not a 100% permanent fix, as the rusty panel inside was only treated as best we can, not completly cut out and repaired. One day I would love to strip the car down to a bare shell, eleiminate all rust, and restore from there, but for the time being this will be a fix that will last quite a while, and makes the car look better, and garuntees it will pass saftey inspection when I get to B.C.

Before:

Cut and ground out:

New panel temporarily held in place:

One of the staff that has been teaching me welding in:

A bit of fiberglass filler to make it smooth and straight, Sanded nicely:

Then Primered, and rocker gaurded to match texture!

In the next few weeks I plan on painting both rockers on both sides to make them look even and proper shade of gloss again, but the repair is straight, only knoticable if you really know Miata rockers, and the texture is good!

Another big update coming soon, rain forecasted all this weekend so I may have to give the car a good compound and polish while we are stuck in the garage all day tommorow!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Another big(ish) update in the same day as the last one!

About a month ago I got a message from a Miata.net forum member, saying he had a set of Warbird gauges from Revlimiter he wasn't using, as he had ordered custom gauges after getting them. My assumption was he was going to try sell me them, and I didn't have the cash, nor did I trust the condition of used gauges over the Internet, but instead he offered to gift them to me free of charge! Of course I was ecstatic, and if he is reading this thank you so much again!

We got to talking, and he also mentioned he had a set of Jass performance stainless surround, and chrome rings that would also go great with the gauges.

I got them in the mail this morning and went right to work!

They look absolutely fantastic in the car, and like all products I have gotten from Revlimiter, they are great quality, and the fantastic person who sent them to me packaged them safely, and gave me them in great condition.

Sadly this install didn't go entirely without flaw... After installing and getting needles set, I went for a quick drive for lunch. While driving down the road at 80kmh I noted that everyone was going really slow today, I am usually not one to speed and am getting passed more than passing. So I decided to check my speedo with GPS... it was out at some speeds, good at others... "What the hell?" is what I thought, so I went online to research what may be wrong. Turns out the guy who sent me the gauges has a JDM car, and my car is a Canadian car that uses the 220KMH EUDM scale, not the JDM 190KMH scale... So my speedo is out, to get it to read correctly at 80 -100, I have to set it to be at around 15kmh while stopped... and while going and indicated 50, I am only doing 45. This is obviously unacceptable for a daily driven car, so I have contacted Adam at Revlimiter in hopes that I can order just a speedometer gauge with the correct face. Something has to be done, so we will see... Either way they look fantastic!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I don't keep this build very well updated, really should though, a bit has happened to the car since the last update, a few posts to come on that...

A few months ago...

I got the correct speedometer from Adam at revlimiter, managed to make it whole week with a useless speedometer and not get a ticket! While I was in there I removed the stainless surround (but not the centers) I loved the look, but it reflected back in my face and was a bit much. Still looks great this way now, but as you can see there are a few finger prints and glue spots, I will be looking for a used cluster to fix that, but it really doesn't look as bad as the pictures show, and if I weren't such a perfectionist I would just leave it.

While I was ordering the one gauge from Revlimiter I also grabbed some of his polished vent rings, looks really good with the rings in cluster!

New floor mats, Lloyd Ultimats, perfect match for the car, good colour, and really make the interior look better, although it shows me how bad my carpet needs a good steam cleaning, which is now in the plans for one day!

Still to this day months later need to get the Warbird HVAC surround in, but I stripped one of the little tiny screws on the handles and haven't figured that out yet, will get that all fixed and in soon!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Then near the end of the summer I had a bit of a problem, an intermittent electrical issue I had been fighting for months came back... At the WORST possible time, the day it was supposed to be loaded up to be shipped to our new house in B.C. Sent it off to a garage because I was out of ideas and time again, turns out it was the air flow meter this whole time, shorting out and causing all these problems. $1000 parts and labour later and it's fixed!

Sadly the car missed its ship date, so I had to leave it behind, it sat at my neighbor's house (a fellow car enthusiast) for a a few weeks until a new ship date could be arranged, and then it started its trip across Canada while we drove in a more reliable car!

It took a long time, but a Month after it left the car finally arrived at our new house in B.C. felt great to have the car back after so long!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Then I met a fantastic Japanese car club in the new area, and have been going to a ton of meets and drives with them. Great group and were super welcoming, here are a few pics of that!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
After getting a little more settled down in the new house, and with my training period at my new job almost done and some cash coming in I was ready to start dropping a bit of money on some fresh parts. But of course like always things didn't go my way, and just when I was planning what I wanted to do to the car next it made the decision for me by peeing coolant all over my parking spot at school... After a ton of searching for where it was coming from I finally went and picked up a proper cooling system pressure tester, and discovered the rapid leak from the water pump area... Being me, and having the plans of hopefully keeping this car for a very long time I couldn't just fix the water pump though, so I ordered up a full water pump and and timing belt kit as well as all the coolant hoses in system, and a Amazon Koyo stock replacement radiator! I started on pulling the parts to prep the car for all the new parts, got impatient looking at my sad car and decided while I have it out to test and see if my non functioning AC still had any gas in it after all these years of not working. I was not very surprised to find out that it had nothing in it and had probably all leaked out years ago, meaning it was safe for me to pull AC without having to get it professionally drained. I began tearing into that and dropped all that paperweight off the front of the car! Before anyone asks I don't know what it would have taken to fix my AC system, it might have just been a minor leak that drained it, but I don't particularly care. After spending every summer of my life so far out in the sun and out on the water sailing I am used to being a bit sweaty, and with the top down I have never missed the AC in this car, it just isn't something I personally think this car needs.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Got the car back up and running!
Doing the TB water pump job was easier than I thought, once I had a few friends come over and explain how the tensioners worked and how everything came apart. Mind you I still managed to screw up along the way, stripping a water pump pulley bolt and demolishing the water pipe O ring. But that is all fixed now, and I somehow managed to not ruin the timing! Once pulled apart it was obvious why the pump was leaking, as the gasket fell apart while I pulled it off, and when trying to peel the bits stuck to block off it basically turned to powder. New radiator in, new Tstat, all new hoses, and a full timing belt water pump kit, and all that is left to do now is to assure that I have a good mix of coolant and water!
I have gotten the car insured on its new B.C. plates and drove it to college for the first time in a long while!

Fully disassembled!:

Painted the Upper timing belt cover, Water pump pulley, and re painted the exhaust manifold heat sheild (there was a scratch on old paint):

Almost back together!:

And back to where we started but with a much cleaner engine, no water leak, and a radiator that isn't ready to self destruct at any moment!

You can see a little steam/smoke in this photo, it was taken immediately after reassembly, a mix of PB blaster that had been sprayed on bolts, and water from the old leak but I assure you it cleared up quick and any signs of a leak are long gone!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
And we are all caught up for now! Now that I have a good job and I am a little more settled down I hope some more mods come soon. The next few on the dream list are Nardi wood wheel, catback exhaust, 14x7 Enkei Rpf1's and then suspension, but we will see, I may need to stop dropping money into the Miata for a while to buy a Daily for commuting to school, but whatever happens I will try keep this thread more updated than I have been!
Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
My first "performance" mod arrived! A full stainless steel catback exhaust. I ended up going with a Yonaka, I had been saving up for a more well known quality system in the Miata world (FM, Goodwin Racing, Racing Beat... etc.), but it came up at such a deal that even if I don't like it I could probably sell it at no loss. So I had to jump on it, even if it only ends up being a temporary piece.

Volume increase is certainly noticeably more than stock, but not annoying, if I where REALLY stepping on it I could see it annoying people at night, or maybe causing a cop having a bad day to pull me over, but when below 4k rpm it is certainly not too loud. at idle to about 2750 it sounds stock volume wise.

The tone is fantastic, it deep and burbley, but still keeps the character of a Miata, does not sound "ricey" at all. Gentle acceleration is smooth, rev matched downshifts are smooth but appropriately aggressive, and hard acceleration sounds awesome, barks as you get on it and has that slight desirable rasp like stock as you get up past 5k, but none of the bad noises associated with some exhausts. I LOVE it!

The tip is a bit big for my taste, on this car I am going for a vintage look, I think maybe a 3 inch tip rather than the 3.5 would suit the look better, however the style of the tip makes it look pretty good, and it certainly looks better than some of the crazy 4"+ tips I have seen!

I also will say the car certainly feels a little stronger and smoother when accelerating, but that's a butt dyno saying that, not any real test.

Overall I am very happy with it for the 2 days I have had it on, I may still save up and get a Roadstersport, Flyin Miata, or Racing Beat. It would be nice to have a system guaranteed to last forever, and with proven performance gains. But for the $250 CDN I paid for this ($450 LESS than the cheapest quote I got for a well known system once brought to Canada) I am very happy with this!

As always, more to come soon! Currently driving her almost every day, nice to not have to run from snow and salt out here!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Nothing new yet, this really will be a lifetime long build, but in the meantime I always love to add more photos to the story of my car, and I ordered a few little pieces that should be in in a few weeks... You will see those soon!

Now that all the salt and potential ice is gone, the car is once again a daily driver, rain or shine!

And have been attending lots of meets with the local club! Some new cars have been added too, and I am now the only Miata in the group.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts