ClubRoadster.net banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
A little update...
Finally had the time to getting around to removing my HVAC controls to install my Revlimiter Warbird HVAC panel that matches my gauges, this was another piece given to my by the awesome forum member who gave me the gauges. The install had been delayed as the first few times I attempted to install them I was thwarted by a tiny little screw on one of the control handles, that had been stripped. I finally got around to taking the time to pull the whole unit out to get a better grip and look at it, and with a good screwdriver and some force it came out no problem. Got the gauges installed (very easy) put it back in my car, and boy does it ever look fantastic!

and then I tuned them on to test the lights....

Oh no! That doesn't match!
It appears the hvac surround I got was an amber or clear, not a green. Because I got these second hand, I am not sure when the mixup happened, I am going to contact the person who sent me them to see if they have a green set at home by accident, because I know she was switching to an amber colour scheme. Maybe I was accidently sent the new amber one not the old green one!
If not I will have to save up for a bit and get a matching colour set, it's too bad, but I will have to live with it for now, looks absolutely fantastic during the day though!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Also went out the other day and got some more photos of the car, and I always love to share those, even if they dont progress the "build" further, they make it a lot more enjoyable to look at!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Start of the spring season has been going well, lots of driving and fun, although the budget for car mods hasn't been how I had hopped it would be at this point, so the build has yet to take off, I did get a few little things done. Engine bay all scrubbed out and cleaned for the spring, and a rad cooling panel I had made installed, both for the good looks and the added cooling efficiency!

DSC_0058 by Harrison Davis

Next up, the most exciting piece for a while...
Going on a bit of a road trip to pick up something exciting tomorrow, here is a sneak preview the seller sent me, more to come soon, I am sure I will have it installed by tomorrow night!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Went on a good little road-trip today and got my new favourite piece of the car! A authentic Nardi Classico wood, that started its life on a JDM Eunos Roadster, but at some point ended up here in Canada, and now, on my Miata!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Guess I should explain why this thread has come to a complete halt for the last little while. Life happened, and I am off to School in Calgary Alberta, and with $1,000 a semester parking, horrible weather, and no good roads, it just wasn't worth bringing the car along. She has been babied far to much the last 25 years to risk leaving it parked outside in the snow on a College Campus. So for the next little while the Miata will sit in storage in my Parents garage back in B.C. being driven only occasionally when I am back for holidays, at the end of these few years, I will have to seriously think about where the build should go from here, but I hope there is always a spot for this car in my life!

I guess ill see this thread in a few more years!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Wow, its been 5 years since I updated this thread! I think I missed a few updates, which I will include and date when I should have posted them bellow. But most importantly, I am finally going to be working on, and modifying the car some more this year! The next few posts will get us up to date so I can continue to update the thread here!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
21st June 2017:

Been more than a year since the last real update on the car! It survived it's 6+ months of storage while I was away for school, and is back on the road running as good as ever, and I got a few more parts installed...

Picked up a set of Flyin Miata stage 1 suspension components, lightly used but still in great shape! Tokico Illumina shocks, Flyin Miata springs, new bump stops, and NB tophats, as this setup was originally on an NB. This setup sits a little higher than I thought it would, probably because it is for an NB, but I kinda like the extra height, as it keeps the practicality I love in this little car, and is still about 1" lower that stock. Suspension feels great, car feels both more comfortable and composed, while feeling a little stiffer and reducing body roll a ton. Guess thats the difference between brand new suspension, and original shocks with nearly 200,000km on them in their 27 years of service!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Dec 23rd 2017:

Build has been very slow recently while I am away in school, half way through my second year now and have been loving it. Just wish I could bring this car with me! I am back in town for the Christmas break and have a few things to do on the car, wanted to install my frame rails but some very over tightened and now rounded seat bolts have been holding me back.

At the end of the summer the car hit a pretty big milestone but I was so busy working I had no time to come share, the Miata has his 200,000kms, about 40,000 of which where in my ownership. It's about the best looking 200,000km car I have ever seen! Especially considering its mostly original paint.

Miles will add up a little slower now as I have bought a new daily driver (2012 Golf GTI) as I needed a car for Calgary winters, and the Miata can now be the weekend car it was meant to be. Now that I have a second car though as a daily driver I was able to register and insure the Miata as a "Collector" vehicle, making my insurance about 80% cheaper, and getting a cool collector plate. This process was decently hard to do, having to apply with photos and describe any modification you have done the the vehicle and justify that it is "period correct" but after months I finally got it. The best part is now that insurance is so cheap I can just leave it plated while I am away at school so whenever I get the chance to come home I can take the car out!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
June 24th 2018:

First mod to the car in a long time! Finally got me R Theory Motorsport frame rail braces installed after having them around the house for nearly a year, and they are one of the BEST mods I have done to my car so far!

Install only took so long as one of my seat bolts had its head rounded off, but I finally found a tool to help me get it out and started on the rails! Pulled interior, drilled holes, treated with paint so the holes don't rust, and installed the rails nice and tight!

It's hard to describe the way the added stiffness changes the car, but it just feels better. Over bumps and around corners the car feels tighter and more well built, it feels more confidence inspiring and safe at speed, and pairs perfectly with the Flyin Miata suspension that stiffened the car up a bit!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
And finally, we are back up to date! This update, is from TODAY!

Wow, I did not realize how long it has been since I have updated this thread! What's happened to the car? Well, life has been busy, since I last updated you I have moved cities 3 times, gone through 4 jobs, and a lot of other adventures as I try find my place in this world after graduating. The car? Its been there with me almost the whole time! While living in Calgary, I stored the car in B.C. at my parents house, driving it occasionally when home for vacations. When I graduated college, I moved to Victoria B.C. and HAD to bring the car with me as I couldn't go another year without it. The Miata spent this time living under a car cover in a friends driveway, half way across town. It was not ideal, but I made it work, and got to enjoy driving the Miata every weekend I had the chance!

While living in Victoria, I worked as a parts and service advisor, as well as general do it all lot boy, at the local Alfa Romeo and Maserati of Victoria store. Got to drive some legendary cars while working there, from Alfa Romeo 4C's, through to classics like my favourite car i have ever driven, a 1989 930 Turbo Factory M505 Slant Nose.

But no matter what crazy supercars or collectable classics I drove, the Miata still always felt special, every time I sat in it.

So now it's 2021, the pandemic hit our area hard, or at least the restrictions did, with lockdowns already happening before I had heard of a single case in our area, and though I did not loose my job at Alfa Romeo, many changes where occurring, and I no longer felt like I wanted to be a part of it. They treated me well, and my co-workers where overall fantastic, but it was time for me to part ways.

About one year ago, I moved back up to Comox B.C. the city my parents live in. The Miata is back in the parents garage, just moments from the suite I rent down the road, making it easy to keep her safe, dry, and accessible. I got a great new job, working from home for a small tech company, somewhere I really feel I could start my Career. It's finally time to start really enjoying this car again, and working on some more maintenance/restoration work that was deferred while living in the big city!

The first of many updates to come in the following days/weeks. Power steering delete. I have always loved the feel of cars with non power racks, and the Miata is such a light car, I always thought the trade off would be so minimal. So when the opportunity came up to buy a professionally de-powered rack, with the ratio of the faster power rack, and the tightness of a manual rack. I had to! After some cleaning up, refinishing, fresh bushings, removal of pump and lines from my car, she's done! Bonus part is, as I purchased a second rack, I am now able to keep the power one aside, incase one day I decided the manual steering is too much work, and/or I want to go back to original.

Up next on the list (parts already ordered and on the way!), is motor mounts, clutch, master cylinder, slave cylinder, extended clutch line, rear main seal, seat reupholstery, and even brand new wheels and tires!

Stay tuned, we are bringing the Miata back to the daily driver ready condition that she deserves to be!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
The moment I have been waiting for forever. Finally, the car stops looking like an OEM old mans car (not that there is anything wrong with that!).

Wheels and tires!

I have always liked the Minilite/Panasport style look. My dream wheels for this car, are, and always will be Watanabe's. And maybe, just maybe, I will get them one day. But at this point, I can't justify spending half the value of the car, on just wheels, and I have wanted to do something in this department since I bought the car so many years ago. So I started looking into other options. I have always loved these specific wheels, the 14x7" RPF1. They have a flatter face than most RPF1's, and those big fat vintage racecar sidewalls, just suit this car perfectly. I cannot wait to get the car insured again for the season, and give the fresh steering and wheels and tires a test run!

Crazy lightweight, coming in at just 8.4 LBS per wheels. Thats lighter than the OEM Dasies, while being 1.5" wider.

Should provide far far more grip than I ever need, with 195/60R14, 200TW Falken Azenis RT660 replacing the 7 year old 185/60 All Seasons I had before.

·
First Things First I'm The Realist
9,863 Posts
I always waffle on if I like 14" wheels but they fit your car well. Something about a BRG NA just feels..... right. Nice job man.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I always waffle on if I like 14" wheels but they fit your car well. Something about a BRG NA just feels..... right. Nice job man.
Thanks, I feel the same, 14"s don't work on every NA. But on this particular car, I have a vision of a very pure, OEM+ period correct/backdated kinda styling, and that raw, full feedback, fun lightweight car handling. With those ideas in mind, and the overall look of the car so far, the 14" RPF1's just seemed right! Now that I have driven the car a bit, got the alignment fixed, and really had a chance to experience the new setup, I am stoked at how it has turned out!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Another big update, this time with minimal photos, as I chickened out and had a friend at a shop do the work for me...

This week, we replaced the OEM ORIGINAL clutch in my 1991 Miata. The clutch had 210,000 KM's on it, was 6+ years older than I am, and served 3 owners well. I even learned how to drive stick on it, and somehow, she kept going to this point! It didn't even drive that bad up until the last day as well, only slipping if you where really rough with the car, and chattering when getting hot in heavy stop and go. But it was obviously time nevertheless!

While we where in there, we did a full refresh of nearly everything touched! A brand new Exedy clutch kit, bearings, clutch master cylinder, clutch slave cylinder, 5X racing full length clutch line, and Rear main seal.

It feels like a new car, so much so I stalled leaving the shop, the clutch engages at a completely different point, overall this was long overdue, and a massive improvement now that finally done!

41 - 57 of 57 Posts