Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NOT

"My sister bought these wheels to use for the winter with snow tires. She been them NEW-used someone bought them and never used them and resold to her) for dirt cheap. At 4AM Saturday night, she was going 35-ish MPH down a 1 lane street. Everything happened in a matter of seconds. The best I can describe what happened is the following:

Car is going straight down the road. The road did not have any pot holes, the driver was not under the influence of any drugs/alcohol. In a split second, the right front passenger side wheel collapsed and made the car pull to the right instantly. The EVO then hit the rear corner of a parked car (the parked car had very little damage). No airbags went off, no one was hurt.

Now the question is, how did this happen? The only educated guess that I can come up with at this moment is that the wheel had a STRESS FRACTURE/HAIRLINE CRACK from a previous POTHOLE/Bad road experience. It then just snapped without warning after the fracture gave up.

Can we say that REAL wheels BEND while FAKE wheels CRACK? Tell me what you think could have possibly happened? This accident could have been A LOT WORST. She could have been on the highway, she could have hit incident bystanders, a biker, etc.

I already know what the FAKE WHEEL lovers are going to say -> "B.S, she probably hit a pothole at 70MPH and BS'ed the story", etc etc =D. As long as ONE person can walk out of this thread and never get FAKE wheels again, I will have made a difference because that person could be DEAD one day from their XXR's going KABOOOOOM.

Here are the pictures:

http://jdmchicago.com/forums/showthr...hp%3Ft%3D20513

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Holy ****, that is crazy. Sucks about the car but at least she's alright

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Can we say that REAL wheels BEND while FAKE wheels CRACK?
Can happen to any wheel. I've seen HRE's and a set of CCW 3 piece Porsche GT3 app wheels fail at the track. And by fail I mean center hub section/surrounding spokes completely separate from the outer barrel during a "non-loaded" section of the course.

Bummer about the Evo though. Best of luck getting everything squared away.

·
Supporting Member
57 Posts
I'm not sure it's fair/accurate to say that "real" wheels bend while "fake" wheels crack. I'm not an engineer by any means, but I'm thinking back to this year's Continental Sports Car Challenge race at Laguna Seca where the front passenger side wheel on the Freedom Autosports Mazdaspeed 3 broke coming out of the corkscrew...not once, but twice. It was subsequently reported that the wheels were OZ leggeritas (though I'll admit that I don't know how accurate that info is).

Now, recognize that the forces being put on that wheel coming out of the corkscrew were likely significantly greater than what was going on when the XXRs bit the dust. Assuming that the wheels were OZ leggeritas, what I took away from that Conti challenge race is that, under the right conditions, I even "real" wheels can crack.

I'm sure others who are much more knowledgeable than I will chime in, and I'll be looking for an education.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
lack of quality you pay for what you get
I full agree and disagree only because I've seen it happen to the whole spectrum. Wheels are wear items as well. Freaky things happen even to the expensive stuff.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Glad she's ok, but I've already purchased Rota's so I suppose I'm fucked?
I believe it can happen to ANY wheel anytime. Your not going to see a thread like this if a work wheel cracks or something.
Wheels=wheels. It's a shiny hunk of metal your drive on.

·
Hakuna matata y'all
651 Posts
I don't doubt the story but I don't think things like this happen very often considering how many wheels XXR, Rota, etc. sell. I'm all for "legit" wheels and think they're cool but honestly I'm not sure buying wheels that cost more than your car actually makes sense.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
I don't doubt the story but I don't think things like this happen very often considering how many wheels XXR, Rota, etc. sell. I'm all for "legit" wheels and think they're cool but honestly I'm not sure buying wheels that cost more than your car actually makes sense.
Makes great sense if you can afford them and put them to good use such as competition or serious track work. The truth is there is always room for error.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.