ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Miata Master
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, left work, put it to the wood, car sputtered, then died. Get it back to work. Cam gears are off. Figured it jumped time. Belts tight. Pull the timing belt and the cam gear falls off. Snapped the dowel and the bolt. Pulled the valve cover to change the cam, One of the journals is fucked. It messed up the head as well. Just when i thought I would get to drive my car in the nice weather!! Stupid miata.. Time for port and polish i guess. I also recieved my weber sidedraft manifold today!! Ya carbs!! please dont tell me how advanced fuel injection is.. I already know.. I guess the project begins again.. I will probably do cams as well.. Well sorry i had to vent a little.. Also looking for some helpful insight on sidedrafts. Any help greatly appreciated..

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Did you recently do a timing belt service or install adjustable cam gears? I wonder what caused the cam timing gear bolt and dowel pin to shear? You've probably got a dozen Miata motors to choose from up there so it shouldn't be too much trouble to install a new one. Plus, it's easier to remove the old intake manifold and install the new carb setup with the engine on a stand. Good luck.

·
Registered
563 Posts
That might work to your advantage if you can find an older 1.6 FWD head that ran a distributor?!?

·
Miata Master
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well something got into that journal and from what i can tell seized the cam which made the gear snap off..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts