ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Here is the story.

I was driving on the 405 getting off at harbor. I heard a little sound in the rear of the car like my wheel was out of balance. I just put it to the back of my mind because it stopped.

I pulled over to look up the place I was going on the GPS and then continued to pull out of the parking lot.

As I was pulling out the car sounded like it was scraping (as usual on bumps) so i let the clutch out to move forward and it just would not go.

I put on the flashers and got out. Nothing I can see was wrong. So i got back in and then stared her up. It was just grinding. It would go in to gear but would grind the second the clutch was let out.

I got it towed home and i took the center console out and removed the shiftier. Then put it back in and now the car (why this had a an affect i do not know) will not grind it just wont move.

If I put the car in neutral it will not move like it is in gear or the rear is locked up.

If i push it a little the car makes 1 pop pushing forward and then 2-3 pops coming back. I cannot figure this out!

I made a video and tried to explain as best as I can

Thanks in advance! :littlepony:

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does it feel like the problem is coming from a certain area? is there a reason why you first checked the shifter well/turret?
it is either the rear or the trans that let go the only other thing that you could check is the drivshaft for a binding universal joint witch would explain why it felt like a balance issue at first. I would start with the driveshaft first.
\

I will check drive shaft. I don't have a jack till tomorrow (my jack cant fit under the car) So I will look tomorrow. It seems like the rear dif is locked up. I do have a VLSD and i know they are prone to issues. The reason i checked the shiftier is because it is the only thing I can check as of right now. Thanks!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks phillyb. Hey while your on here my old hard top was sold with the you hate me sticker! I need a new one!!!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Vlsd is grinding after I took out the drive shaft. Would it be bad if I started it and let the clutch out to see if the drive shaft moves?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Tilt the car forward and pull the drive shaft. Forward so that tranny fluid doesn't come out. Remove drive shaft for ease of access and so it doesnt fling around and smack stuff. Shouldn't be a problem. You can even leave it in gear and get back under it to see, if your alone. Then do a LSD swap like ya know ya should. Hope it works out.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LSD is shot:(. And so is tranny. I don't know how the hell going out of a freaking parking lot sideways caused this. But looks like I have to start searching for parts.

The reason I say the tranny is shot is cause when I let the clutch out In 1st it doesn't move the drive shaft what would In turn mean That it needs replacing correct?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yeah if you put the shifter in correctly(never took one apart so i don't know if you can put in the wrong way), then id say you would need a new tranny.

Lucky for you that you live in usa where Mx-5 parts are way cheaper than here :D

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Car is down. For ever. Am starting a part out because Im tired of thowing money at it. Switching it all over to a clean body NA with nice paint!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts