ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[rant] So yeah... I'm driving down the road at about 60 or so i have to make a "panic stop" bc of a pesky yellow light, oh... and a cop nearby. Wheels lock towards the end, and the car skids a little. But thats not the problem... Light turns green i accelerate away cleanly, get up to about third gear, and realize that the car seems to be kinda sluggish all of a sudden, I'm figuring its prlly just hesitation so what ever. I keep pushing. I get to fifth gear and im back up to about 60 i can floor it and the car doesnt really speed up. I'm like WTF!!! by this point. Continuing on for about a mile or so... and the car actually starts SLOWING DOWN. Mind you I didnt change accelerator position. So i pull over and proceed to give the car the once over. I get to my right front tire and the brake disk is glowing BRIGHT orange and making ticking noises!!! By this time im like... oh ****, what to do. All the while... hoping that it doesnt suddenly go up in flames. Turns out that i have had a brake drag since i bought the car. It just took a "panic stop" to heat the rotor to the point of no return. I end up getting to my destination and letting it cool down, then driving back home with no problems at about 40 to 55. Just no hard stops this time. New caliper, pad and rotor are on order. [/rant]

Sorry for the long read... Just needed to vent my story from last nite.
-Jeremy

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Glowing rotors look cool at night. Stuck caliper pistons and seized slider pins suck. This is a good reminder to lubricate your slider pins with Permatex Ultra Disc Brake Caliper Lube every year.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
No problem about the rant, stuff happens like that sometimes. Hey, its better than your brake pad falling out because you are so lazy you let your rotor wear down WAY too far. That happened to my friend last week and he almost coasted right into a traffic filled intersection. We had to do an emergency brake job that night/next morning.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts