ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i will drill when i get around to it. this will do for now.

Duct tape version

PVC pipe and cable tie version

how dodgy am I???

==========================================
Now for my new NON dodgy air intake made by Exhaust tech

the pipe goes straight down from the intake manifold, bends up in to the free space under the front bumper right next to the hole in the front lip spoiler. the guys did a great job and im heaps happy.

The sound, wicked: big smile action
The throttle response: heheheh coooool, more than before but i have the hks thingy too
whiplash action: eerrrgghhh not whiplash but getting closer. gonna get it dynoed to see how it is.
bling factor: oh yeh bling... looks like i have an intercooler pipe going somewhere.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
you runnin engine management? I see no AFM. That thing sure gets in the way.

You should see my ghetto setup, I still have the lower half of the stock airbox in to support the afm and filter!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
show us a pic of the ghetto set up then ???

I'm using a HKS Vein Pressure Converter instead of the air flow meter.

uses pressure, or in this case vaccum, and air temp to calculate how much air is slowing in to the engine.

I'll take a few more pics of the rest of the stuff at lunch.

Its all piggy back stuff. I think this VPC and an emanage would be great so I could control the injection and the ignition.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Keep in mind you're putting the air filter right next to the exhaust manifold, so it's gonna be pulling in some heated air, I don't think it'll have any chance to pull in ambient or cooler air. I'd relocate it to the front of the car or do some ducting ala randall cowl intake.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes you're right it is still sucking in lots of hot air. im going to get a nice stainless steel pipe that connects from the throttle body and points straight down to the ground and angled to the wheel arch where the new filter is going to sit. its going to get alot dirtier but it will be sucking in cooler air for sure down there.

temp sensor

pressure sensor

HKS VPC control unit

its like over 12 years old.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes i can put the hsk vpc temp sensor on the throttle body. in fact is is suppose to go after the throttle flapper on the intake manifold.

so i'll have to tap a new screw hole in there for it, but i'll do that when I get the new intake pipe made.

there isn't enough room to simply attach the filter to the end of the throttle body..

i need some attachments for the bypass as well anyway... best bet if doing down a bit... might be able to track some piping around the radiator to the front of the car if im lucky...

i'll update this thread later on. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeh not much of a gain...

more so better response... much better actually..

i still have to tune the piggyback... its dumping alot more fuel in to the engine so i can advance the timing a little more. its at 12 at the moment.

plus the rom chip in the HKS controll unit is suited for the HKS cams... which is next being installed when i get my hands on them.

should push me to just over 90 kilowatts. im at 78.9 kW right now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well from what i've been reading about this little thing ive learnt that when the unit first came out it was well over $1000US.

For that sort of money new you can get a pretty nice standalone ECU. Here in Australia id get a Wolf 3D. The wolf allows for the full injection and ignition control with the aditional sensors so you don't need the AFM. Does much more than the HKS VPC can do.

The major downside of the HSK VPC so far that i've discovered is that its very fuel hungry. It just likes sending a lean signal to the ecu and hence it dumps more fuel than needed at idle sometimes stalling me.

Thats probally why they don't have them any more. great power gains but driveability is average.

get a standalone ecu with the additional sensors and you'll be much happier.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts