ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my HKS panel filter in the mail today and decided to try something that I have been wanting to do with my stock intake box.

On the cool side of the box, where it sides up with the fender, I drilled a series of 1/4 inch holes. 3 in between each ridge in the airbox and a few down on the bottom.

I just test drove the car and wow, what a difference! The car sounds awsome as hell now and the best thing is that I really do feel a difference in the performance. For the good that is. Torque that was missing in the mid and high rpm range is now present. Granted its not insanley there but its there where it wasnt.

The whole car is stock but i feel that if i do keep it and do the whole test pipe, exhaust system, ill only be happier with this mod.

I should have taken a before video but unfortunatly i didnt think it would make this much of a difference. Ill see if i can get some vids or sound clips up later.

·
Mufasa in Training
31,064 Posts
Honestly, if you put it on a dyno, holes in the airbox would barely even register, and would pretty much be sucked up by the error factor in the dyno. My bet is, you like the new sounds (which is as cool as anything :D ), and are keeping your foot on it, so the car seems faster.

Just a thought from someone who's BTDT.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Re: My DIY intake....IT WORKS!

Yea, we just cut out the entire bottom of the air box on our race cars...

·
4,436 Posts

Just remove the bottom of the air box and zip tie the filter on the top part - rotate awway from header. Used to do that for years. No need to destroy the plastic or drill holes, but you get the idea.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
That was dyno prooven to lower HP in a Mazdaspeed Protege.

:)

·
4,436 Posts

And I have a dyno to show that in a 1991 Miata it increased HP by 2 - not much but in the positive nonetheless. May have been a less restrictiive system in your econobox.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts

And I have a dyno to show that in a 1991 Miata it increased HP by 2 - not much but in the positive nonetheless. May have been a less restrictiive system in your econobox.
Well, in the Slowtege, the air box obsorbs some of the hot-ass air coming from sitting inches from the turbo manifold on one side, and the radiator fan on the other.

Stupid Protege.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well thats why i only drilled the holes on the cool side. if i took the whole bottom of the box out phat, wouldnt that be taking in more hot ambient air?

·
4,436 Posts

We're talking very low HP increase for this mod, so whether you drill holes or just open it up as wide as you can, it really will not make any difference in the long run.

Given 30 mins of driving - heat soak sets in no matter what intake track you have - but I would imagine the sound is a bit softer on the drilled idea.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The snorkle part of the airbox on the NA MX-5s have been tested to be the most restrictive parts of the intake, I think you'll gain some extra torque as long as intake temps aren't rising.

·
Registered
116 Posts

Just remove the bottom of the air box and zip tie the filter on the top part - rotate awway from header. Used to do that for years. No need to destroy the plastic or drill holes, but you get the idea.
what he said.

and then when you like coughing up the 10 bucks, order the adapter plate on ebay like i eventually did, so you can put a cone filter right on there.

and as far as torque gains are concerned, maybe its a little better throttle response that you are feeling, and the sounds :)

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
The previous owner of my Miata had a snorker though the cowl-wall.. So I already have a hole there. I've been thinking about fabbing something up that uses it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts