ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my mx5 project

thought it was about time i put up a project thread.
the car is coming along nicely now slowly but surely.
picked it up last october, few weeks later it started spitting up coolant out the overflow tank and there was bubble,s from the rad.
ended up changing the head gasket only to find out that the fan wasnt cutting in and was just maing the coolant boil and the head gasket wasnt gone at all. learned from my mistakes there anyway haha.
hoping to have it low as i can keep it and maybe raise it up for the odd drift or track day.
anyway time for pics.
this is how i got the car.

after a few months having trouble with the head and electrical problems whih turned out to be my afm i got myself a set of refurbished cusco coilovers for cheap.
they are height and 4 way damper adjustable.

removed the helper springs and spun them all the way down.
had some trouble fitting them but got some help from someone on here.
cant remember who but thanks for that.

was delighted with how low it sat haha
then i was bored one day and decided to make a number plate bracket.
had a california plate and a canibeat surround so just had to put them on haha.
also put on the kosei wheels i refurbished last year.

terrible picture but its all i had. the illest sticker is covering chipped paint lol
last thing ive bought for it so far are these bad boys.
there ae86 fitment so im waiting to get adapters.
also looking into reversing the faces or getting 2 spare barrels to bolt onto the front and polish up.
14x7 work equip 01,s

they need a refurb but there ok.
thats all ive done so far next up is an lsd or welded diff ,front lip.
hope you liked it il leave with this pic.
(car is raised slightly for its nct [national car test])

·
I can haz custom title!
573 Posts
title says, "my drift/stance project *lot of pics". I guess I read it wrong, I expected to see m0aR pics.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
suppose its time to add to this.
got my hub adapters and put on the equips up front ... now i need 2 back wheels and im set.

i spun the car out on a roundabout and drove the back end into a pole.
pulled out the boot with the van and changed the whole rear end. the new bootlid was black so
i painted the new white garnish to match and it actually looks good haha
no pics of the back though, anyway thats that so far.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
since the last update this has gotten a lot more thorough. the head gasket blew, i got the keyway wear problem,my welded 1.6 diff sh*t itself as i was told it would and i bust my sump all within about 2 weeks :suicide:

so it seemed simpler to just pull the engine to make it all easyer.

got sick of constantly taking the bonnet on and off so when i had it off i grinded down the stoppers on the hinges and now it opens straight up so its way easyer to work on and i dont have to line up the bonnet everytime.

also pulled out the front subframe to weld on a sump guard and to clean it up and paint it

the guard is welded in now and the whole subframe is wirebrushed down ready for a coat of thick paint
no pic of it yet though.
i used to hit my head off the frame for the top near the window and i seen someone do this mod on here somewhere so i said id give it a go.

ripped out some of the foam from the bottom of the seat and its way better. feels like a bucket seat! might need to take some from the bottom of the back of the seat though.
also picked up some 14" ssr meshes for cheap in the meantime

got them split and painted the centres and sanded and polished the lips (the 2 on the car arent done in this pic)

im going to get a sump today and then im going to clean and paint the engine,gearbox and subframe and they can go back into the degreased engine bay.
can,t wait to get it back on the road now.
anyway now this is up to date il try to keep it that way haha
goodluck

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how do i change the name of this thread? makes me sound about 12 haha
ive been doing a bit with the car since.
got 2 more wheels. ssr superstars 14x7.
1.8 diff welded up.
rolled rear arches and made some extra lock knuckles.

saving for sticky front tires now. anyone know whats a good tire in about 185 55 R14?
thanks

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thank god haha..if you go back to the section where this is posted, double click next to the title name and it should let you edit :)
thank you!

Needs less tire.
needs more up front badly i think. thats a 1 inch pcd adapter up front with 165 60 r14. couldnt have much less haha i have 15mm pcd adapters on the rear and 2 more for the front so when i put them on i can get a 185 55 R14 to fit with some more rolling. just cant find a good tire in that size. closest i can find is 195 55 r14 toyo proxes t1R. will probably go for them

What knuckles you running?
made them myself! well me and a friend who is a welder. shortened the tierod and adjusted angle for less ackerman.
still have the jig to make more. would anybody be interested in a pair? cheap cheap!
for off road use only of coarse ;)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes I need a pair, u do tierod and knuckles?
pm me and we can sort something out then im sure.

well on my car theres also some rack spacers in there so i had to shorten my tierods and trackrod ends in order to allign the front wheels again.
but if you have no rack spacers your standard tierods should do fine and youl still have loads of lock

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
this is due an update!
got 2 toyo proxes in 195 55 r14 for the front
replica gv lip
and 2 ssr longchamp xr4s for the rear

then got on with some drifting on track!

not finished yet though :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts