ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to trade my stock 99 Honda Civic Si for a 91 BRG Miata with hardtop with 55k miles.

And when I tell my friend that.. they all think I'm crazy.

I must admit... its strange for someone going from a 1.6l 160 hp car to a 1.6l with about 115 hp?

I don't mind the powerloss, but I'll miss the trunk space and having a back seat. Not to cart around friends but to have the space. It usually me, my skim boards, and some bottled water thats always with me in my car.

I just want a rear wheel drive car. Thats not a domestic car. I would like to go and auto cross one day.

I figure these Miatas were cheap, light weight, fun to drive, and can easily be modded.

I'm just a little torn about what I should do. I'm just tired of driving a Civic. Ricers glaring at me for no damn reason just because I drive a Vtech Civic.

What do you guys think?

·
Esteemed Member
3,416 Posts
Well, whats your civic worth? 7-8k?

a brg miata with hardtop and 55k miles is a nice car, but its still 8 years old and not worth 7 or 8k.

if they were the same price, id pick the miata.

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
Your freinds or nuts. For the life of my I never could figure out what makes a civic cool...

·
Whiskey makes me Frisky
4,545 Posts
I don't know why, but I've always loved the Civic. I wanted one of those 2dr Si back in high school. Still would love to have one.
second that, but I miss my two door second gen CRX I had in high school. sad sad days.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I chose the Miata for the same reasons you did. although, the lack of a back seat was a plus for me as I hate driving my friends around. I thought I might miss the space in my old VW, but honestly most of the time I can fit the same **** I carried around most of the time. Even My Bass in it's hard case. Can't fit the amp though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I guess I would just have to adjust to the small compact space. The Miata does out perform the Civic when it comes to handling. I'll really enjoy it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
...You also start to change your lifestyle to become more minimalized so you don't have a plethora of things inside your car...
Agreed... when i had my Delta 88 that thing was so junky inside it was pitiful. But since i have gotten the miata it has stayed spotless inside... no garbage, receipts, or anything left in the car. Interesting how that works...

-Jeremy

edit: and as for the miata... it DOES have a hard top... thats about 1.5 to 2k right there on the sale price. And the miles are really low for being that old. 7-8k is a reasonable deal IMO if the car is in reasonable condition.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
[edit: and as for the miata... it DOES have a hard top... thats about 1.5 to 2k right there on the sale price. And the miles are really low for being that old. 7-8k is a reasonable deal IMO if the car is in reasonable condition.
Hard tops don't really add to the value of the car. maybe an extra $500 tops. They are much more valuable when seperated from the car. It seems counter intuitive but it's true. Financially I think he's on the bad side of the deal, but of the cars I'd rather have it's the Miata.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hard tops don't really add to the value of the car. maybe an extra $500 tops. They are much more valuable when seperated from the car. It seems counter intuitive but it's true. Financially I think he's on the bad side of the deal, but of the cars I'd rather have it's the Miata.

Yeah, but sacrifices must be made to get the car I want. So its worth it to me.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
An EM1 in good condition will still fetch around 9,000-10,000 $. For that you could buy that BRG with hardtop and have several grand left over for mods.

·
Registered
323 Posts
i would sell the si and buy a miata, don't just trade.

btw, i have an 86 Si. i don't think i'll ever get rid of it. but i don't want to get rid of the miata too. two very different animals, each one awesome in its' own right.. but then again, like i said, my Si is an 86.. a little more rare than a 99-00
+1 if you're trading straight up, I say it's a bad deal. 8 grand for a miata seems ridiculous to me when you can buy a 94 with a 1.8 for 3-4 grand....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I wanted to sell the car, but no one wants to buy my car for $6500, and thats like a price for a FAIR car by Kelly Blue Book standards.

I figure I'm going to lose money, but its worth it.

·
Esteemed Member
4,380 Posts
i would sell the si and buy a miata, don't just trade.

btw, i have an 86 Si. i don't think i'll ever get rid of it. but i don't want to get rid of the miata too. two very different animals, each one awesome in its' own right.. but then again, like i said, my Si is an 86.. a little more rare than a 99-00
+1 if you're trading straight up, I say it's a bad deal. 8 grand for a miata seems ridiculous to me when you can buy a 94 with a 1.8 for 3-4 grand....
Do be reminded that the BRG in question has 55k miles on the clock. That is worth its price.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I personally don't think that 55k makes that much of a difference than 90k on a miata. $6500 for a miata still sounds a bit pricey for me (probably because I'd rather buy a miata for $2000 and drop $4500 worth of mods into it) :wink:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts