ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, not sure if anyone cares, but I'm going to write up a little experience of mine, I apologize in advance because I tend to ramble on...

Went to the Mazda dealership today to look at NC's. I had been somewhat of a hater of the looks of it until I saw pics of NC's with Mazdaspeed bodykits on them, in particular the gray one with a hardtop; absolutely stunning! So, having been looking around at new cars recently (WRX in particular...) I figured "what the heck, let's go check it out"

So, I end up taking a test drive in a blue base model with the 5 speed (I'll admit, I've taken a spin a 6 speed before, but didn't drive it much)

Drove around for a good 15-20 minutes, including an impromptu autocross session in a church parking lot.

Keep in mind that I drive a bonestock '94 with bald shitty tires, blown shocks, and slipping clutch as a daily.

First thing I noticed was how much higher I was up in the air; not only does the NC sit up higher in the air, but you seem to sit higher, too. That's a minus for me, I like to get loooow 8)

Next thing I noticed was the clutch: Yuck. Much too little pressure necessary to push it in and not much return pressure on release, either. Also, not a very progressive feel at all. I'm not exactly the biggest fan of hydraulic clutches anyways, but I've driven cars with hydro clutches that have better feel.

Power: Does NOT feel like I expected 170hp to feel like in a Miata, even one that weighs like 300lbs more than my current one. Simply put, my old '96 Neon with a tad over 150hp, even with the long 3.55 gears, would have torn the NC a new one. The added torque of 0.2L more is noticeable, but not by much. As far as overall power goes, I'm underwhelmed. If the car was rated at 150hp, I'd understand, but I think 170hp is on the overly optimistic side of things. The NC isn't a particularly fun car to rev, it's neither a very torquey motor or rev-happy motor. I only tached it to 7,000 once, and it wasn't worth the wait :?

Gearbox: OK, it's a Miata still, so the gearbox is good. Both the 5 and 6 speed transmission are short and notchy, just how I like it, no complaints there.

Brakes: Pretty strong, but very touchy, too Toyota Camry-ish, made for little women if you ask me. I like my brakes strong, but I don't want full braking at the slightest tap, I want progressivity (which probably isn't a word...) ...Made for a couple of lurchy heel-toe downshift attempts.

Speaking of heel-toe, pedal placement on the NC is too wide for my liking, although I did most of my initial heel-toe training and practice in an open-wheeled racecar, so I guess I'm a little spoiled :roll:

Oh yeah, forgot to mention...I couldn't even chirp 2nd gear...I can do that in my NA even though the clutch slips like mother...

Suspension/Grip/Handling: WTF, UNDERSTEER?! A couple of 2nd gear turns that would have my '94 arse end starting to loosen up had me pushing. Disgusting. Unfortunetly, the car I was driving was not equipped with and LSD (something I think EVERY Miata should be equipped with from the factory. I mean what the hell, it's a rwd sportscar #-o ) The NC handles pretty well, but more bodyroll than my NA with blown shocks was dissappointing.

The steering is a decent amount heavier than my NA, something that I thought was cool because I think the powersteering on my NA is too powerful. The steering wheel on the NC on the other hand sucks. It's huge and it's ugly (but it is height adjustable, so that was cool)

Interior: absolutely hideous, but a little roomier than my NA. I'm not a terribly huge guy (right at 6', 170lbs fully clothed) but the extra space is a plus nonetheless. Oh, and the armrests and cupholders in the doors are sweet (ask anyone that knows me....when do you ever see me without something to drink in my hand? :mrgreen: )

Trunk space is up, so that's a bonus

So, final verdict: I'd have a hardtime buying one. The only real advantages to the car over my NA are minor and aren't really performance related. I honestly think my NA feels like a peppier car (I have a 1.8L by the way) and is definetly a lot more tossable. The NC's extra weight is DEFINITELY noticeable and the "170hp" does nothing to counteract that.

I'd love to hear other people's experiences, so post them up!

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
Here is how I feel about it:

I think it drives great! Super smooth engine, powerful, the butt is easily controlled in a slide which I like.

If I never had to get out of the car, I'd buy it, but unfortunately I have to get out and look at the car every now and then, and it looks stupid as hell. It will be even goofier looking with decent sized wheels, oh, and did I mention fender gap?

Mazda can keep it. Its too damn ugly. The 99 sport was a great NB, Mazdaspeed was Almost there, and the 02+ with appearance pkg is drop dead beautiful, but Mazda has not had the miata truly "right" since the NA...

..which is why I bought the nicest, newest NA I could find, and will continue to drive the wheels off of it untill there is better roadster for me (and the NA is hard to beat!)

I finally got the rant off my chest that would have me crucified at m.net... anyway All IMO..

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I think the car should be judged on its own merit. c'mon it shares absolutely nothing w/ the older model and is a completely different animal. The car is still in its 1st stages... just gotta wait and see if they car improve the looks but the way the car is set up to perform is impressive.

i've haven't seen any car built so tediously which is comparable to bmw 6 series "birth of a sports car" on speed

·
Registered
369 Posts
The seating position just killed it for me, going from a lowered car with Sparcos to that was like driving an SUV.

I also dont like how it looks, but with some $ the JDM market is filled with things to make them look badass.

It had more power then mine thats for sure but it didnt feel like it wanted to use it, it almost felt laboured when I pushed it hard.

It doesnt matter I cant afford it anyway :)

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Let's put it this way. I make just enough money as to where I could afford payments on an NC, and that's about it. If I got paid more (which is a big rant in itself #-o ) I'd probably go ahead and buy one. And then park it until my Mazdaspeed bodykit, coilovers, wheels, taillights, hardtop, intake, header, and exhaust arrived from Japan. And seats. The NC seats are made for fat american people, IMO.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Let's put it this way. I make just enough money as to where I could afford payments on an NC, and that's about it. If I got paid more (which is a big rant in itself #-o ) I'd probably go ahead and buy one. And then park it until my Mazdaspeed bodykit, coilovers, wheels, taillights, hardtop, intake, header, and exhaust arrived from Japan. And seats. The NC seats are made for fat american people, IMO.
I would just wait a few years and Buy a used one for cheaper if you arent going to drive it :) It might take awhile for all those parts to get here

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Try riding an NB. The suspension was improved dramatically, specially the M2K later model, little shake and rattle low road noise with the hard top and nicer interior than the NC in my opinion. At least the door panels is nicer looking in my opinion.

·
Registered
519 Posts
The clutch was too soft for my taste also. The car felt a little less "nimble" and I wasn't really impressed with the power when the sales guy had me punch it in 1st and 2nd gear.

The new softtop is wonderful along with the single latch. Door panels sits higher and the windblocker in the back gives a more safe and secure feeling. Overall interior was a lot larger.

The interior is very nice but I find it a little too plush and luxurious for a Miata, I mean MX5. I think Mazda went a little soft and catered more towards daily driving, but the Miata specs are still there. I wouldn't mind having one to cruise around in.

·
Mufasa in Training
33,027 Posts
:lol:

Are any of you guys near 6' tall? I'm just over it, and I'm finally relieved to find a Miata that actually fits without any kinds of modiifcation. Sure, I'd have liked to have done it without tilt steering, and sure, I want a lower seating position (and lower, stiffer ride height), but to have the car fit around me this well out of the box? I'm amazed.

And in case you're thinking I'm a lardarse...

That's me...15lbs heavier than I am currently!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
You would get points for JDMness, though, as it's an original Apex i RS. Nice and grumbly. I actually like it more than most.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts