ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I was recently in a collision with a Nissan Maxima insured through Safe-co. I have attached the video so that you guys may view it. The problem is that Safeco is finding the Miata at 10% fault for not using its horn to warn the other driver. I have used logic, shown them the video at which point they said I was lucky they didn't find me 20% at fault. This accident occurred in Kentucky, the Miata is insured through USAA and they cannot fight the claim as they cannot pay anything to fix it, thus giving them no 'legal dog' in the fight. The damage wasn't too bad, about 2000 or so. Let me know what you guys think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhL9nT15O1A&feature=youtu.be

Well they are finding me 10% fault. They said that I had time to react and thus could have avoided the accident by using the horn. Said I should have seen the lights on the Maxima. I have spoken with the dept of insurance and am about to file a complaint. However I wanted to make sure that I can't make it worse. I don't want Safeco to make it 20% my fault. They have already cut the check for 90% btw.

USAA called Safeco to get their side of the story and USAA was very unhappy with them. USAA said they were grasping at straws and were just being difficult. However, my options are very limited short of suing Safeco over 200 bucks.

·
Registered
626 Posts
That sucks

I was in the same accident, but geico was on my side since its the responsibility of the other driver to make sure that it is clear

·
Registered
3 Posts
You kinda are 10% at fault. If you were not there, this accident would not have happened. But that is shitty that they are grasping at straws. How do they know you didnt use your horn?

·
Registered
473 Posts
In most accidents, the person in reverse is 100% at fault. Safeco is now owned by Liberty Mutual, and is much stingier when it comes to claims....

Side note.. Is your car as low as it looks in that video?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You kinda are 10% at fault. If you were not there, this accident would not have happened. But that is shitty that they are grasping at straws. How do they know you didnt use your horn?
Because they asked and I told them the truth, I didn't think it was going to cost me 10% liability.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In most accidents, the person in reverse is 100% at fault. Safeco is now owned by Liberty Mutual, and is much stingier when it comes to claims....

Side note.. Is your car as low as it looks in that video?

Its running on FM V-maxx's it does look low, its not that bad however. Its running their recommended settings or 12.5 front 12.75 rear.

·
Supporting Member
142 Posts
The exact same thing happened to me at my university. The other party was 100% at fault though. That sucks man, best of luck.

·
I'm a little teapot
5,764 Posts
Get USAA to give them a call. Theymay not have a legal dog in the fight but they've worked with my parents before when it comes to negotiating.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
saw this on vwvortex before I saw it here interestingly enough -- complete bullshit. If its worth 200$ (and the principal of the whole ordeal) then bust them up in small claims court. I bet just the threat of court will net you the win without even having to go.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Get USAA to give them a call. Theymay not have a legal dog in the fight but they've worked with my parents before when it comes to negotiating.
Already did, and they have. USAA got seriously pissed at Safeco and made the remark that. "Currently we are dealing with several Safeco incidents and in the future I'll make EVERY effort to find something wrong with your case" "What you are doing is wrong and if this went to arb then we would win no contest, your argument is grasping at straws"

The adjuster and her manager at Safeco still refused to budge.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
saw this on vwvortex before I saw it here interestingly enough -- complete bullshit. If its worth 200$ (and the principal of the whole ordeal) then bust them up in small claims court. I bet just the threat of court will net you the win without even having to go.
I already have spoken with several law firms and told Safeco that. They just smiled and gave me the info on where to send it. The law firms all gave me the same answer. I have no legal ground to stand on and there is no money in the case if there was. What Safeco is doing is techinally legal from what I was told...in Ky at least. There is nothing I can in a court of law.

My last option is filing a complaint to Ky's Bureau of Insurance. They can review the claim through another set of adjusters however I don't want to see my fault percentage increase further for some ungodly reason.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
You can tell safeco to suck a ****. Don't accept their claim til it's 100% their fault.

You really think using the horn will stop someone? They were clearly inept enough in the first place to just back up without looking.

This is zero percent your fault. Maybe bluff and threaten to bring a lawyer involved?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Wow you are directly behind them in a white car no less, and they were backing up straight. Definitely their fault.

·
Registered
626 Posts
That doesn't seem right. Then in any accident both parties would always be at fault

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
That is fucking lame. It really can't be worth sacrificing their image for a few hundred dollars.

·
Kony For President
2,036 Posts
You are not at fault. Consult a lawyer, show them the video, and you'll get more than enough to cover the repairs. It's definitely in Safeco's best interest to pay you outright and get it over with, but if they want to play the blame game, you have every right to unleash the lawyer dogs on them.

·
Registered
196 Posts
It's too bad that you pay good money to have a decent insurance co and always get into an accident with some asshole who is insured with the cheapest mother f***ers around (if they even have insurance...). So your insurance co will treat them well and you'll get treated like dog ****. Fun!

/end rant/

1 - 20 of 40 Posts