ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So it was a really rainy, traveling about 45mph. This guy in a minivan who was about 2 car lengths cut in front of me, while on the on ramp, then decides he's not supposed to get on the highway and makes a dead stop on the on ramp. I couldn't swerve out of the way b/c of the median and because of my inexperience with no-abs and extreme summer tires in the rain. I couldn't stop in time and the tires locked up, I hit the minivan at about 5mph, some fender, bumper and very slight frame damage.

Tried to make light of the situation I gave the car bandaids from ebay, fender from craigslist and remolded the bumper using a heatgun! Overall it's not too bad now.

·
fender gap is the enemy
2,103 Posts
meh doesnt look bad at all, gives it a lil character. i was more proud of my miata than ever when i rearended a prelude, totalled it, but i drove the miata home lol. theyre tough sonsofbitches

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And did you just pocket some insurance money or what happened?
Nope, the worst part about this accident is I had to shell out 500 dollars to leave the insurance/police out of the picture. His bumper was pushed in slightly, I could've fixed it for 15 dollars. His boss (he was a private TLC driver) kept on telling him to call the police, I didn't have any documents on me, no drivers license, insurance papers, registration papers, and feared the police would give me a fine for each one of those costing more than 500, add that to my insurance increase, I paid him.

·
I have all the correct opinions.
10,912 Posts
why the hell do people think its okay to drive without their license, insurance, registration, or intelligence?

·
I have all the correct opinions.
10,912 Posts
So turn around and go get it. Want to call me so I can walk you through it next time?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So turn around and go get it. Want to call me so I can walk you through it next time?
LOL, why don't just I call you and you can drive me around everywhere? I didn't realize I didn't have my wallet till I was going back home. Dude, it was a mistake let it go.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
haha i was about to say the same thing word for word. replace the turn signal so water doesn't get in there, and.... yepp thats about it
I ordered a used one from trackspeed engineering, is planetmiata better for sourcing body parts? I would've ordered it, but I saw the turn signal for sale at another forum, so I just bought it.

·
Supporting Member
763 Posts
Your not going to get in trouble if you actually have all your stuff in order. You seriously got screwed by giving the other dude all that money. If you left your **** at home and cops give you a citation you can show them the proof later and it gets thrown away.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Your not going to get in trouble if you actually have all your stuff in order. You seriously got screwed by giving the other dude all that money. If you left your **** at home and cops give you a citation you can show them the proof later and it gets thrown away.
Ahh, I did not think about that. Thank you, that is very good to know. At the time I was worried, they would take me into the precinct because I had no ID on me at all and it would take all night (this was already at 230AM, I was picking up my GF). I would still have to pay out of pocket, b/c my insurance has a high deductible ($500), I thought in the long run I would save on insurance.

Either way, I am ok, my girlfriend was ok and the other occupants of the other car was ok, I was happy the car also came out ok. I got the bandaid idea from another miata on this forum, it was a green miata with a bandaid on the rear, I thought it added a lot of personality to the car. You guys have great ideas!

·
Supporting Member
763 Posts
I'm pretty sure if you can give the cops your DOB, SSN, address, full name, and phone number then they are not going to take you in. Also your insurance deductible is only paid if you get your car repaired not the other persons. Also did the police find you at fault? it sounds like you might have been able to fight them for stopping in the middle of an on ramp.

Edit: Never mind about the at fault part. The cops where never there so it does not matter.

·
Registered
78 Posts
So basically YOU failed to stop short. 45mph is ~20 metres per second, and two car lengths, being generous, is about 10 metres? It had nothing to do with the minivan stopping suddenly, your braking ability or your tyres, only your decision to follow too closely.

Multiply that following distance by six next time. Use the two-second rule in dry conditions; three-second rule in wet conditions.

Pretty good repair though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts