ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, its a 95 miata w/ 73k on it and its making a horrible noise. I know NOTHING about miata's as I just bought this last month! I thought it might be a lifter stuck or a rod knock, but now I'm thinking its no/low oil pressure?

The noise does get quieter after it warms up, and the valvetrain is all moving/functioning properly, so that's why I think the oil pump might've taken a **** or are there any other common things I should check out?

Thanks for any help, I want to go to Deals Gap on 4/21!!!

Matt

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
check the oil
done, looks fine, haven't drained it though. I pulled the valvecover and ran it without to watch everything and it was all moving normal, and a rod knock wouldn't quiet down once warmed up, at least I don't think so.

The car hasn't burned/leaked any oil, and it looks fine, but I figured the oil pump was toast, but its not even got 73k on it!

do these cars NOT have an oil pressure gauge or at least a sensor that activates a light on the dash if its super low? I can't find anything.

anyone know how bad it is to change the oil puimp? its only $100 at the local parts store, I'm just worried if it did any damage so far.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lifters ticking? Have you noticed any loss in performance?
I thought it might be related, but its definitely more than a ticking, like a full blown knocking really. Not sure about the performance, the car's stock so I don't think it had any balls before this problem, and now I'm too scared to drive it to see.

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
does the sound come from the top of the engine or the bottom.

if it's the bottom, it's a spun bearing. does your oil pressure guage show anything?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its definitely coming from the top of the engine, but I posted above, I CANNOT seem to find any sort of oil pressure gauge, LOL. Where is it? I see water temp, oil temp, and gas gauge among the speedo/tach

·
CR.net Supporter
1,138 Posts
Re: My miata is making a scary noise!! almost like a knocking!?!?! help

The stock oil gauge isn't a temperature gauge....you've got the dummy gauge if it's a 1995 (I think). It shouldn't fluctuate like a real OPG, they changed them to just show constant pressure and drop to zero when it's below like 7psi I think.

Just for further clarification, it's the gauge directly in the middle above the speedo and tach.

Does it sound muffled as if it's inside of something or does it sound like it's in the open? Is your stock header heat shield loose? Could it be a broken motor mount? Is your ECU throwing any codes? It's probably something constructed of metal if it calms down after the car is warmed up.

I'd look for the simple stuff first - check for anything loose, try to track down the exact area it's coming from. If you can't find anything, then move on to more in-depth educated guesses, such as the noise actually being engine related.

Can you take a video of the noise so that we might be able to hear it? It's kind of hard to get an idea from your description.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I think its internal engine related because it gets worse with rpms. I think it gets quieter because the rpms' settle from 1100ish to like 800ish I think? No check engine light or codes that I see on the dash, haven't taken it anywhere yet though.

I'll try and grab a video in the morning, it should be a good video, cuz this noise is LOUD, especially with the hood open.

No it doens't sound muffled, sounds out in the open honestly

·
CR.net Supporter
1,138 Posts

Is your actual exaust piping heat shield rusted or loose? My car has a slight metallic rattling noise because the heat shielding after the stock headers is loose/rusty. Could this be your problem as well?

I'm thinking it's probably not something concerning the engine internals. If your motor was knocking or ticking you'd know.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

lol, I do know, at least I think, haha. If you'll be up for about 45min/an hour I'll drive to my garage, about 20 minutes, and get you a badass video of the car, i promise it'll be so uber cool... :lol: kinda go like this...knock knock knock, tick, knock, bang, clatter, knock knock, bang clatter, and repeat.

·
CR.net Supporter
1,138 Posts

So it's affecting engine performance? Is it running rough? The check engine light isn't on, right?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Honestly, like I said, I was afraid to drive it. It doesn't seem to have a rough idle or something like that no, but the engine, its just scary sounding. But no cel's. Again, i'm headed out the door now, be back asap with a video, then hopefully you can see what sounds so scary, lol.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's a link to the 1st video I got, crappy one.

It stalled out as you can see once it started warming up I think and the idle was dropping. I've never not been in the car when its doing this, having a friend look at it while I'm in the car holding the gas/whatever.

http://s159.photobucket.com/albums/t124/BAM614_Cobra/?action=view&current=MVI_3108.flv

If you want a better vid, I took a longer one on my camcorder, but its longer so it'll take longer to upload.

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wow if you looked at the valvetrain and it was fine, something is really fucked.
I know!!! lol, I was thinking there's no fuckin' way its a heatshield loose, lol. Like I said, I pulled the valve cover off, put the plug wires back on and ran the car for about a minute while inspecting everything. Its' all moving like it should and nothing looks out of place. WTF!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i did a quick search, cheapest one is $600ish plus tax and that's only semi local.

what do you think I could sell the car for as is? its got a super clean body, new softtop w/ glass window, etc, etc.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts