ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 491 Posts

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Its long overdue, but I finally have a chance to post up my project.

The Car:
1997 Miata PEP
http://www.clubroadster.net/forum/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=19

The Goals:
140-150 reliable N/A HP
75 Shot hidden N20 now, 100(+??) later
8k Redline
Minimum mid 13's
a pimpin interior! :mrgreen:

I want to run respectable times at the drags, and freak peple out when they dont see boost under the hood. I'll save weight where I can, but I will keep A/C, and some comfort... the test of that will be is the wife will have to enjoy riding in it.

How I'm getting there:

Engine/powertrain

NX Nitrous kit
Nitrous bottle warmer (need to order)
RPM window switch for Nitrous activation (need to order)
RPM switch for VICS (need to order)
Autometer Fuel pressure and nitrous pressure gauges
10:1 01+ N/A pistons Cryo treated (waiting on cryo now), Ceramic coated
ARP Head+Main Studs
FFSC Dual feed fuel rail
99 Head
00 Intake manifold DIY port cleanup job
SI Oversize valves
ETD Racing Connecting rods (still waiting... and wating, and waiting...)
OBX 4-2-1 header
Phenolic intake spacer
ACT Streetlight flywheel
ACT HD Clutch
Crank Scraper (too late, not getting one)
New Crankshaft
New OEM Oil pump
Megasquirt ECU
01+ oil pan and mbsp
and of course New Mazda Gaskets, seals, thermostat,hoses,etc,etc
other stuff I forgot

My Room o' Parts

That's not all of it, Camera died. That's only half the room!

Longer term:
IRTB and Direct port nitrous
Cams?

Interior:
93 LE interior, almost done swapping it in
Konig V-racing seats (cobra monaco copy)

Curent status:
Most of interior and electronics stripped
Drivetrain removed
Engine completely dissasembled

So Far the cash outlay has been around $4k. Probably will be around $7k when the car is back on the road and closer to $10k once the IRTBs and everything set is up. I'm quite exited, I'll never get rid of this car so it is worth it to me. I am also doing this as fast as I can without going into debt for it, which isnt easy with a home (and a basement finishing project!), a wife, another new car and other stuff, so progress might not be too fast. It will be done when it's done and thats about it! at least most of the major purchases are done.

Here's the Flickr Page
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
damn, sounds like an exciting project.

on the center stack, why did you remove the a/c control unit? will you be replacing it with a different look?

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Be careful, Foo, I just might take you up on that! It wont get too interesting untill the everything comes back from the machine shop. Thanks for the offer.

Violation,

I relocated the HVAC controlls to move my Carputer touch screen up higher in the dash, but since I tossed it for simplicity (and $$$) I may put the HVAC back in the original spot.

I'll have more Pics up tomorrow, after my camera charges.

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: My N/A NA build in progress (no56k)

Just a few Small updates. I just ordered a complete 93 LE interior from Planet miata, And my pistons went to the wrong address for Cryo Treatment (at Cryo Science) but was able to track them down, and there in the right shop now. I guess my next steps are ripping out the dash, replacing the heater core I broke :roll:, doing some minor restoration on the dash, and ordering a Reman. Crankshaft.

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Nothing Exicting new, Just minor stuff.

I finished stripping the interior and its all for sale in the Classifieds... The Dash is completeley out now.

Also got my pistons & rings back from CryoScience, and soon they'll be off to the coaters.
More interior pics to come when the LE interior arrives in a couple weeks.

Also, just added up the costs of everything, and my advice for anyone doing a project like this is DONT look up the total Cost! It makes me want to barf ](*,) ... Its gonna be almost double my original budget... Not including the interior, engine management, or the goal of IRTB in the future.. :shock: In too deep to quit now!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Good luck man, lots of work ahead. And about the money, just don't skimp out if you are going to do it from the ground up. You will only regret it later on.

zack

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats what I keep telling myself, as I know If I cut corners to save the budget the whole project can go to hell! I'm just gonna stick to it untill its done.

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, and I'm a lil closer now. I just ordered a Crank kit with bearings. I'm pretty sure Im gonna spring for the FM valve springs too. I have also decided to stick with stock valves, as I've seen several dyno charts on NB's at in the low to mid 130 hp on stock internals, I feel that with the compression bump and standalone I'm in the solid realm of 140hp with the stock intake. Look at jimmy's IRTB car with AEM, lower compression and 150hp... for me, Time will tell!

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Gutted interior

ugh, I need to clean up. at least three layers there..

Engine bay

Thought this would be a cool shot

Now For the Goodies!!
ACT Streetlight flywheel

DIY Ported/lightened Intake manifold (not quite done yet)

NAWWWS!!!! Its only a 75 shot, I'll upgrade as budget allows, although no one I know of tried more on a single nozzle, I might before going to direct port.

OEM Gasket set and oil pump, ARP Studs, Mazdaspeed mounts, and fidanza cam gears

JDM Radio bezel/Nilex center switch, will paint black for LE interior

ACT HD Clutch

Cryo'd 01+ Pistons

FFSC DF Fuel rail (nice!)

1999 Head

"lightened" A/C braket. I may not be going for an uber-light roadster, but geez, there's no reason for this to be so heavy.

One of many reasons for the rebuild, the botched up crank keyway. The gear would not come off, so the crank, oil pump, and all will be just tossed in the trash

All The OE Hard parts and gaskets came from Jason at mazdaonlineparts.com, while the hoses and performance parts came from Bill Wilner.

More stuff tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts

I have the same problem with my woodruff key. It's stuck in ther but good. I hadn't heard of anyone else having the same problem before.

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The key was not the problem on mine. The key way was all "V'd out" from a botched timing belt job, and the gear was siezed up on the crankshaft.

Also, The new crankshaft and LE speaker plates just came in. More pics to come..

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got the LE interior in from Planet Miata yesterday, I test fitted the carpet and I'm gonna need the 1.6L ECU panel to make it fit in the 1.8 chassis. Next on the agenda is getting some SEM Firethorn red paint to restore some fading in the carpet and some minor spots on the seats where the stitching turned white. I also have to repaint the black sticky stuff on the top of the dash, so any tips here are appreciated!

Other than those minor issues, the interior is in better shape than my 97 tan stuff. The red seats are in great shape and much softer leather.

Im also going to add something to keep the floor getting hot and keep road noise out. Any sugestions? I already added some spare Dynamat Extreme to the tunnel. Edead seems to have a reflective backing and its cheap.

There wont be too much more on the engine untill the rods come. If I can complete the interior at least I'll feel like I have something accomplished.

·
Registered
156 Posts

Looks like the project is comming along nicely. Will it be done in time for some spring n.ga & dragon runs? As with any project, we need more pics!

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I dont have a timeline, but I really,really want to be cruizing this summer.

More pics tomorrow, I promise

·
Registered
559 Posts
how exactly did you port the intake. My motor is apart at the moment getting some low compression work done. (Soon to be boosted.) I have the intake off and want something to do.

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
how exactly did you port the intake. My motor is apart at the moment getting some low compression work done. (Soon to be boosted.) I have the intake off and want something to do.
I used my Air Die grinder, grinding stones and an 80 Grit flapwheel just to smooth out the castings. The inside of the intake felt like 20 grit sandpaper, and that jus could not be good for flow. I would have went with a finer grit, but any more and I'd be worried that fuel and nitrous would puddle. Thats a bad thing!

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

A little Dynamat on the console to block heat coming from Header, Cat, and transmission

Look what the mailman brought...

The Door panels

Box 'o red goodies. Kick panels seat belts, bolt covers, and even the MSSS Radio cover, its all there :) Just need to clean them

The carpet after cleaning. A few touch ups with dye and it will be nearly good as new aside from the scuff on the drivers side floor, but that will get covered up with a floor mat anyhow.

LE Drivers seat. The leather is in GREAT condition!

Stitching turning white on the drivers seat. I'll touch this up with dye.

The LE dash with no cracks.

The black painted part of the dash was really sticky, Ive been scrubbing and the black is slowly coming off...

The black is coming off the top of the dash.

Heres the rear carpet with slight fading. Again touch up should fix that.

Passenger seat is in even better shape than the drivers

Here's the bad part, Rusty seat pans. I'll pull the covers and go after it with a wire brush.

The passenger seat, with heavier rust on the seat pan. My only guess is there was water in the floorboard.

Aside from the fading, rust, and the dash needing to be repainted, this interior is nicer than what I had, and those are really minor issues. I'll post more updates as I restore and install the parts.

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I started to strip the black of the dash today, and some cat on .net said he used $.89 carb cleaner and it worked well without attacking the plastic. That was partially right.

The carb cleaner worked great at cleaning off the back stuff, and man that was a NASTY job. Since the cleaner contains Acetone, which dissoves some types of plastic, the dash got soft in some spots to the point where you could gouge the plastic with your fingernail. Its really no biggie though, since the plastic hardens after the acetone evaporates you just have to take care not to scratch the dash while its soft. I also decided to remove a small section at a time and then rinse with the hose to minimize any damage. I'm just under about 1/2 way through in about an hour, so that shure as hell beats scrubbing the stuff off.

I'll post more pics as soon as I'm done.

1 - 20 of 491 Posts