ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
NA rebuild and Project NB DD

Never really documented my build anywhere so I figured I would this time.

Bought a 91 miata years back pretty much looking like this.

Drove it stock for a long time, then finally decided to fix her up little by little.
Did suspension overhaul, new wheels, new paint, new audio, plus a ton of little accent pieces. Here she is at Wekfest TX 2012

Also bought a 99 drive-train and FM clutch and flywheel kit in preparation for a F/I build and swap.

Luckily I hadnt installed that yet because some dumbass ran a red light and totaled my car. Yes, thats my car facing the wrong direction.

Bought the car back from insurance in hopes of salvaging whatever I can. Here she sits waiting to be parted.

So I searched for a replacement and found a 93 C package to become the next project.

Neat little features about this car is it was actually a canadian car, which was imported by the owner a year later to TX, so no rust, and speedo in KM.

Has some cool little features like that speedo gauge, working headrest speakers, hardtop, metal rearview mirror(rare??), ABS, A/C P/S work, and original radio.

This 93 1.6 motor runs pretty good, so I might keep and supercharge it, and either find a shell or sell my other 1.8 motor. Also going to sell the 14" BBS, hardtop, power mirrors, and some other items that wont fit in my build ideas.

First thing done will be a maintenance overhaul, followed more than likely with a KOYO radiator upgrade to go along with the new water pump, thermostat, and belts.

I have a lot of ideas that will make this car 10X better than my old one, so I will keep updating with progress, so stay tuned.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Well, it looked like you had good taste in the other miata. So, we have faith in you for this one. Hope to see something different out of you. Meaning, I hope to see something clean and of it's own as you build it.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. Not really looking into making it a track car, just a nice little cruiser with a lil more power that I can take to meets and shows. Already have my eye set on some rims that I have not seen on miatas before, at least not as much as my old XXR and BBS.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just placed my first couple of orders for the car.

Most of it was maintenance parts from Rosenthal like spark plugs and plug wires, timing belt kit, thermostat, water pump, air and fuel filter. Did order some OEM floor mats and blank key as well since the previous owner didnt have either, and I need a spare key just in case.

Would have loved to spend that money on a racing beat exhaust or nardi steering wheel, but if I plan to keep this car for a while, need to make sure all the maintenance is up to date.

Did order some fun bling items though, koyo 37 mm aluminum radiator with koyo drain plug and cap as well as an air horn because texas interstates are crazy and full of huge ass trucks. Need something to get their attention.

Pics upon arrival and installation, cant wait! Hopefully I can paint my valve cover before they arrive to knock it out all at once.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just did a highway gas mileage test. Got 31.2 miles going mostly 70-75 mph on 1.025 gallons. Comes out to 30.4 MPG. Also get about 260 miles on a little less than a full tank. Hoping itll increase once I do the maintenance.

But im pretty happy considering my last NA didnt get nearly that kind of mileage.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FedEx brought me some goodies :)

Mishimoto thermostat, Koyo radiator, cap, and plug, along with samco hoses.

nice and shiny. The welds on this thing are amazing.

also got my airhorn, youtube sound clip to come once its installed.

still waiting for my Rosenthal parts, should be here monday.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
the purple paint looked great. Good luck with build. oh and score! those BBS's are some of the lightest miata wheels. IF they're not your thing, feel free to put them up for sale.

And rubber hoses are fine, OEM last 12+yrs, but blue hoses look so much better.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Got my OEM goodies today.

Also sold my spare HT, which means more goodies to order :)Deciding between reupholstered seats, quick release and nardi, or exhaust system.

Washing, polishing, and waxing it made it a lot easier to get rid of. If only I had time to do the whole car. Maybe next week.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Painted my valve cover the other day. Could have done a little better but kind of hurried it and didnt sand as much as I should have. Not too worried though since it was a quick $10 project and I have a CF plug wire cover on its way.

Also mounted a spare set of NB wheels while I try to sell the BBS.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got some more parts in.

I'm slowly piecing my steering wheel setup together. Bought a Short Boss Hub from a member a couple weeks back.

Then I picked up a Works Bell QR and lock to match the hub.

Only thing left is to decide on which steering wheel I want.

Also got an RB midpipe to connect my racing beat exhaust that is on its way.

Might as well replace the old, beat up hangers while I'm there, so ordered these also.

Only thing left is to find a 1.6 JR header

Bought the new Garage Star Cooling Panel to match the Plug wire cover I picked up from a member on here.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident man. Totalled mine about 2 months ago, know how it can be. Glad to see you are doing well & that you got a new replacement.

Its looking up to be a good build man! Can't wait to see what's next for your car.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. Yeah, the wreck was real bad. Damn insurance companies are still fighting over it a good 5 months later. I shouldve just gotten a lawyer(might still have to)

My new NA was a decent find because of the parts it came with(hardtop and bbs which I have since sold to help fund the project)
Needs some work but I knew I was going to replace a lot of parts with my old goodies from the wrecked car and some new ones so I wasn't too worried about.

As for wheels, I'm trying to find some 15x8 temps(maybe used work equip 01's), but ideally I want to have a set of CCWs built but need to find the perfect specs for my car before I spend that kind of money on it. Not sure if 15x8 is going to be wide enough, but also not sure if 15x9 will be too wide. I dont want to run super stretched tires if I dont have to.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Your welcome. Yeah your front end took most of the impact, what kind of car was the other vehicle involved? Really? That's ridiculous. Might be best you get a lawyer. Did you have any minor injuries?

In regards to my accident I got a lawyer just because I wouldn't know what to exactly do & say & I'm the worst at filling out tons of paperwork. Also to be able to go see a chiropractic & get some extra compensation in the end.

It definitely was a good find. Hard to come by an NA with the ht & bbs wheels.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Other car was a small ford SUV. He has some cheap ass local insurance company and they dont want to pay up, so I had to file under my insurance company after a month of run around. My biggest mistake was not getting a lawyer the day after the accident, but hopefully I can get everything squared away. If not my insurance gave me a check already and I'll just take it as a life lesson.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Project NB DD

So with all the parts I'm acquiring for my NA, I've come to realize it's not going to be a suitable DD, if such a thing in the miata world exists, so I picked up a cheap NB.

The car was an attempted theft and the owner just sat on it, so picked it up for a decent price.

They slashed the top

Broke the center console

Chipped the side mirror

Other than needing a brake job, mechanically it's sound. Engine bay looks pretty good to me.

Radio doesnt work after disconnecting the battery, so I have to figure that out.(anyone know how to reset it??)

Front bumper is damaged, so I'm deciding what to do with it. Maybe fix it and match with a simple lip or replace completely with a bomex or rep

Picked up a decently priced sideskirt / mudflap combo on ebay

Her she is with my old hardtop on just to prevent the interior from getting ruined.

This is going to be a simple build. Quick respray to match all the body parts, replace the soft top, and try to update the console for a 01/02 and the wheels for some SE enkeis. I might just throw on my old XXR but figured it would look weird at stock height.

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
VERY nice build thread! Or rebuild rather. Well done on that decision. I wish more folks would do that when they wrecked out.

And NBs are great dailys. I've been nothing but pleased with mine.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
VERY nice build thread! Or rebuild rather. Well done on that decision. I wish more folks would do that when they wrecked out.

And NBs are great dailys. I've been nothing but pleased with mine.
Thanks man. I might hit you up soon for some custom gauges to help bring out that dash more.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got the back half of my exhaust. I know a lot of ppl dont like the dual exit exhausts, but I wanted something other than the typical single w/ r package lip my old NA had.

Planning on running a cut bumper/diffuser combo, but need to do a little more research.

also got some TSI's

Shout out to Static Nine Garage for the free lanyard.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts