ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
CR.net Old Geezer
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving no farther than a mile to Food Lion, to get some groceries with my roommate, and following a big Chevy truck. It was pouring down rain, dark, the road I was on doesn't have streetlights and glare was horrible. Everything seemed fine until my roomate goes "whoa!!!! watch out, that truck is hitting something in the road." Nonetheless, the truck and myself ended up sliding off the road because a construction company didnt clean any of there mud off after just recently pouring a sidewalk. The truck hit two big ass concrete water tunnels that go under ground and got stuck, and well at this point i didnt hit anything, i was just stuck in a ditch full of mud. As i was standing out in the rain, making sure the driver of the truck was ok and on the phone with my other roomate to come and pull me out really quick, a guy in a big cadillac deville slides off the road in the same manner as we did but instead of not hitting anything he plowed right into my car. #-o i wasnt in the car so i was able to watch it happen which sucked major balls. Driver rear is screwed, my driver mirror and taillight dont exist anylonger, rear bumper is cracked all to hell.

anyways the cops came wrote the report, it was the other guys fault so my car was taken off this morning to decide wheather its totaled or fixable. i cant tell without pulling the bumper off, but it looks like the frame was slightly smashed in, my wheel is cocked towards the center of the car, and i can hear a strut releasing air. The door lines up but not perfectly, and the trunk lid now creaks when opening. oh yea and the softtop leaks like crazy.

if its totaled, im buying it back and using parts for my NA project car,selling the rest, and buying another badarse sports car.

discuss what you think...... its hard to tell. I just made the second ever payment on it 4 days ago, so this sucks major gorilla balls.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
g'damn.. sounds like it could've been much worse. at least you have a Plan B!

though wrecking a brand new spankin' car does suck. :(

·
Esteemed Member
3,785 Posts
wow that sucks, I doubt it is totaled, Id definitely make sure it goes to a respectable shop so everything gets fixed the way it should

·
CR.net Old Geezer
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow that sucks, I doubt it is totaled, Id definitely make sure it goes to a respectable shop so everything gets fixed the way it should
Cant really tell how bad it is by the pictures, I wish I had more to share. It was taken to Wilburn Auto in Charlotte, NC near my parents house. I was able to pick the body shop it went to, so I know if it is fixable, it will be done correctly.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Oh damn.

Make sure if the unibody's tweaked they outsource it to a real good unibody alignment shop at the cost of the dude's insurance co.

And don't feel bad about stickin' it to him, since it was his "fault" but not really his fault, his co. may not raise his rates much if at all!

·
CR.net Old Geezer
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh damn.

Make sure if the unibody's tweaked they outsource it to a real good unibody alignment shop at the cost of the dude's insurance co.

And don't feel bad about stickin' it to him, since it was his "fault" but not really his fault, his co. may not raise his rates much if at all!
the unibody frame is what im most concerned about. we'll see what happens when they call me back.

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
Hit his insurance for a good amount, if you have a friend in autobody, make sure he helps you out well while getting his fair share.

·
Registered
209 Posts
His insurance co can't tell you what shop to go to, so get them there. At the very least, they owe you one fat check.

Also, the car may feel funny know but once you replace the items it'll feel fine.

If not... Good excuse to throw some hot parts at it 8)

·
CR.net Old Geezer
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
His insurance co can't tell you what shop to go to, so get them there. At the very least, they owe you one fat check.

Also, the car may feel funny know but once you replace the items it'll feel fine.

If not... Good excuse to throw some hot parts at it 8)
you are right but someone wrong. each insurance company hasa very long list of bodyshops they use in which you get to choose which one you want your car to go to.

Wilburn Auto just called me and are now putting together an estimate on what it would be to fix so that the insurance adjuster can determine the damage as a total loss or worth fixing. ill report back tonight after i go and discuss options with the body shop. im going to see if they'll mark repairs way up(not likely but worth a try) so its totaled even though i love the car to death and i just baught it. i dont want to be driving around a car that i know has a flaw due to someone else. it just wont ever feel or be the same.

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
The law says that you can take the car anywhere you want, or even repair it yourself (thats what I have done in the last few accidents). They may have a list of "preferred" or whatever bodyshops but they can not force you to go there.

·
CR.net Old Geezer
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I smell a wide body project in the future.
i smell... im gonna have it totaled out if possible,buy it back from insurance, paid off, parted out to my project car, sell the rest and buy something new thats bad ass. after talking with the body shop im deeming the car unsafe to drive even after repairs. they've got to re weld/ replace alot of things. i just baught the car and i dont want to drive it knowing something may have gone unoticed when getting fixed, especially things concerning the suspension components and where the mount.

ill keep you updated

·
Registered
209 Posts
In regards to welding, they may just mean the rear quarter panel. They're spot welded into place on Miatas to save weight and enhance rigidity, so I hear.

Replacement is standard fair, control arms and subframes are designed to bend so you don't have to absorb any of the impact as a human in the car's "cockpit" so you can ease some fears there.

Talk to 'em, get a good list of what they're doing, and post it up here.

Although, parting it out may not be so bad... Can I have the front sway and lower control arms??? haha

·
CR.net Old Geezer
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i've got a good list, its very long and extensive. i dont want to drive a car that i just baught and made 2 payments on to have it damaged like this. mental anguish is kicking my ass right now.

with my luck it would happen again because of dumbass drivers around here, plus resale value will decrease since it was reported. im pushing for total loss, buying it back, and parting it hopefully.

in the meantime... i'll be driving around a pretty nice rental. 07 Nissan Pathfinder.... 4wd, yea i think ill be taking it off road :-D

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
in the meantime... i'll be driving around a pretty nice rental. 07 Nissan Pathfinder.... 4wd, yea i think ill be taking it off road :-D
i hope you got the full insurance! :mrgreen:

i once wrecked the rear bumper and those side-step things on a ford explorer because i got a little too adventurous... #-o

full insurance kicks ass! the lady at the rental place stepped on the step and it fell (i even krazy glued it) and was like, "um.. you know this is broken, right?"

i said, "yep, that's what insurance is for!"

·
Registered
517 Posts
Calm down then make a decision.

If they measure the car an everything lines up it will be fine. I know what it feels like to have a car defiled by an accident. If you like the car you fix it an move on. Its like when you have an argument with a friend, sure it soils things a bit, but you move on.

But by the way you are writing it sounds as though you really didn't like the car much. Maybe you should get rid of it if you can't accept some faults.

·
CR.net Old Geezer
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i hope you got the full insurance! :mrgreen:

i once wrecked the rear bumper and those side-step things on a ford explorer because i got a little too adventurous... #-o

full insurance kicks ass! the lady at the rental place stepped on the step and it fell (i even krazy glued it) and was like, "um.. you know this is broken, right?"

i said, "yep, that's what insurance is for!"
i got every bit of insurance they have to offer, that is at the expense of nationwide(the guy who hit me's insurer) :-D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts