ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, just like the tracking number said, it was delivered this evening...

My only worry now is installing it. I'm a little afraid to crawl under the car on jack stands.. I have up on ramps and there is only 9" of clearance between the ground and the bottom of the exhaust pipe near the LSD.. It gets much worse near the cat.... I'm thinking I might let a shop install it.....

·
~Foo's Best Friend~
517 Posts
Put the drivers side of the car on stands wayyy up in the air. Put the jacks on the pinchweld in between then two holes at the front and back. Easy peasy

·
Registered
945 Posts
Just crawl under there! If the car is on ramps and you have support from the jack stands as well, you will be fine. For extra assurance, place a spare rim or even a tree stump under the frame rail on the side you are under.

If you're concerned about rolling around under there, just get someone in the neighborhood to help. Its literally 2 bolts off the cat and ripping those stock hangers off. Use WD-40 for that and grab them with a rag. Let the bolts for the cat soak in wd-40 over night and it should be a breeze!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Put the drivers side of the car on stands wayyy up in the air. Put the jacks on the pinchweld in between then two holes at the front and back. Easy peasy
Seriously? I could try that. It makes sense as far as getting clearance...

Ramps are scarier than stands.
They are too low... But I don't find them as scary as jack stands.

Just crawl under there! If the car is on ramps and you have support from the jack stands as well, you will be fine. For extra assurance, place a spare rim or even a tree stump under the frame rail on the side you are under.

If you're concerned about rolling around under there, just get someone in the neighborhood to help. Its literally 2 bolts off the cat and ripping those stock hangers off. Use WD-40 for that and grab them with a rag. Let the bolts for the cat soak in wd-40 over night and it should be a breeze!
I guess I could go to walmart and get 2 more stands... I could spray the WD40 on the screws now...

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

OK, I jacked up the drivers side in the front and the whole car rose up!! The rear tire went way above the ramp. I sprayed the hidden side of the bolt that holds the cat with Silicone lubricant. The other side which is visible I lubed with penetrating oil as well as silicone spray. Sprayed the hangers as well.

Any tips on how to do the job would be greatly appreciated. For instance what to do first, second, etc. Thanks again!

·
Supporting Member
763 Posts
You can remove the exhaust with just the rear of the car on ramps. I have done it probably at least 5 times. It is really tight down by the cat but you can do it. Just make sure you put other things in place under the car (jack stands, tires, more ramps, etc...)

·
Garage Quinn Motors - GQM
2,847 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
looks just like a Tsudo N1, except maybe a smaller resonator. don't worry about the height. i spent a few hrs crawling under mine the other night-- rear on stands, fronts on DIY ramps. i can get all 4 corners on stands just takes a lil longer.

·
Registered
748 Posts
You need to get manly jack stands :phillyb:

+1 Dont get Walmart jack stands, get some from Napa or a legitimate auto store. Theyre worth the moeny.

·
Registered
760 Posts
just crowl under there and stop bitching around. ;)
btw: you'll have to remove the chassisbraces under the diff. if the old exhaust is still stock it's one piece, and the N1 exhaust hangs to low at the diff, so the braces don't fit anymore.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I went to Walmart for the stands. It's the closest place and they are the same as the ones in Vatozone or Advance, etc. Up on ramps first to get the jacks under it and then jack it up to get the stands under the car. I tried to play it safe by putting stuff under the wheels just in case and used the jacks as added backup too.

I sprayed the bolts with silicone lubricant last night, so they came out easily today. I did not have much trouble at all with the hangers or anything else. The stock exhaust came off easily. The new exhaust seems to fit fine and the only problem I had was that I had no instructions about the little "L" brackets they sent to hang the tip of the muffler. It does not use the last hanger by the bumper opening. I finally got some instructions but the brackets did not fit as instructed. I had to cut off about 1.25" off one bracket leg and drill a new hole. Drilling stainless steel is a bitch. The stuff work hardens and its tough and gummy. Anyway I got it done. I used wire ties to hold the parts loosely in place for fitting before tightening everything up. You can see the wire ties in the pictures. I cut them off before driving the car.

The muffler is pretty quiet. I was surprised about how quiet it is... However, it's quite a bit louder than the stock unit. Not a bad exhaust for $184 shipped :mrgreen:

This was taken at the Walmart parking deck. I could not do a real drive by or go too fast as the space is small and it is a public place (albeit pretty lightly populated)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENShvXtjsLo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENShvXtjsLo

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
price and from where did you order it? Looks amazing btw and i bet it even sounds better
Found it on Ebay. It's not listed as the SR-S N1, but it is, it's just unbranded I guess.. It was about $184 shipped. Check out the link in the post before for a little sound clip.

Here is another video clip: http://youtu.be/2tAp1a_uhjY

·
Supporting Member
763 Posts
you'll have to remove the chassisbraces under the diff. if the old exhaust is still stock it's one piece, and the N1 exhaust hangs to low at the diff, so the braces don't fit anymore.
You can put the brace back on after removal of the stock exhaust. I had the same one and it fits just fine.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can put the brace back on after removal of the stock exhaust. I had the same one and it fits just fine.
You are absolutely right. The brace goes back in just fine.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
the tip looks like is has a silencer in it... if that is a silencer, remove that bitch and I bet itd sound better. :p

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is it really that quiet?
It's fairly quiet specially for an N1. Dids you check out the video clips I posted? You can hear for yourself. :mrgreen:

the tip looks like is has a silencer in it... if that is a silencer, remove that bitch and I bet itd sound better. :p
It does have a silencer and it's in there but good! I have tried pulling it out in several ways and I cannot budge it. However, I'm not interested in a much louder exhaust for everyday use. It's plenty loud for me now and it's getting louder the more I drive it. Anyway, I have a supercharger and with that kind of blower the exhaust is pretty loud even with the stock exhaust.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts