ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I want to say a HUGE THANKS to Mr.Woolery who gave me his garage and most important he made me feel like home(FYI This means that we stayed up to 2:30am working on my car!)!
THANKS David!
A BIG thanks also to Bill (Wilner) and to Paul, Andrew and the rest of the good feeling gang for being there and helping me!

The suspension:
Fatcat Racing bumpstops
KONI Shocks
Chikara M2 mounts
Eibach Springs with 430 and 315 spring rates
Ground Control Coilovers

The results
The car feels stiff and with the KONI on the firmest mode it's tiring on the FWY, it does filter the anomalies from the road and in that sense doesn't feel harsh but it also follows the road surface and in the LA FWYs you feels like you are in a Shaker :mrgreen:
With the KONIs in the middle it's WAY better and I can live with these spring rates (at least that's what I think).
It seems that the Fatcat bumpstops helps a lot the situation since they are very progressive and you don't feel like you Hit the bump stop!
The bump stop is always there and helps to have better control of the car!
It seems that Shaikh did his homework really well and gave a great product to the miata community!

Back to "testing" and I have to report HUGE improvement in the turns of any kind!
I thought that good shocks is the N1 factor for great performance in the turns but it seems that it's the combination with the right springs and bumpstops that makes the biggest difference!
With the stiffer springs the car doesn't roll at all and it's very progressive in the way that it slides!
In the on/off ramps of the fwy the car is a killer!
Today I passed 4 cars in the on ramp from HW23 to 101North while I was doing at least 20mph more than them(!), the (215/45/16) 615s also helped a lot there!

In the canyon drive the car is nice but it wouldn't hurt if the springs were a bit softer.
Well in a second thought actually I don't know if that would make any huge difference in the canyons that I driving...
You see while driving like there is not tomorrow in HW23 South->Munholland dr->PCH->Decker Canyon->23 North I noticed that in some cases the car was kind of "jumping".
I could feel that in the steering wheel that was becoming super light and I could hear it from the rear tires which sometimes were loosing contact and -instantly spinning.
I guess than needs attention from the driver's side...
I don't know if softer springs would made any huge improvement in these canyons because in a boosted miata you can get very fast in some points there and if you are not careful you can actually jump (not recommended).

Problem:
It seems that my KONI's got screwed (the front ones) and now I can' adjust them :(
The high spring rates (430) might be responsible for that... #-o
I guess I'll need to get replacements or/and re-valved them, right?
Do you know how much is the cost for revalving them to KONI RACE specs? Would they still be adjustable(I don't think I can live everyday with the car if the KONIs are always at the firm mode).

Cheers
Chris

·
2,708 Posts
You see while driving like there is not tomorrow in 23 South->Munholland dr->PCH->Decker Canyon->23 North I noticed that in some cases the car was kind of "jumping".
I could feel that in the steering wheel that was becoming super light and I could hear it from the rear tires which sometimes were loosing contact and -instantly spinning.
I don't know if softer springs would made any huge improvement in these canyons because in a boosted miata you can get very fast there and if you are not careful you can actually jump with your car (not recommended).
First of all, congrats on your new set-up! Did you get it corner-balanced and aligned also? What are your sway-bar settings?

And you could you elaborate more on the "jumping"? Did this happen on your old set-up at the same speed/route? If your steering wheel is feeling light and loosing contact at high speeds, i'm not sure softer springs would help. The culprit in that situation (i.e canyon driving, different road elevations, sharp turns,ect) sounds like you don't have enough droop in the suspension. How much did the new suspension "sag" compared to the one you replaced? Are you using your new 16inch rims and tires? Maybe the extra unsprung weight of the tire combo is attributing to the suspension feeling unsorted. I dunno, just throwing our ideas to help you out. :)

·
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL Well I know that most of the people go with coilovers because they want to lower the car, but for that wasn't the reason!
So basically the car sit same as before!
I should have taken pictures before adjusting the coilovers!
You see I put them in the exact place that the stock perches were, but I didn't taken in to account that I have lower spring (7" vs about 20" of the stock) so the car almost sat on the floor of David's garage :)
Andrew (Grimson) felt so intimidated that he forced me to put the car back to normal (joke)!
Anyway it was really low so I set it higher since otherwise would be dangerous to drive around with the Butterfly.

·
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You see while driving like there is not tomorrow in 23 South->Munholland dr->PCH->Decker Canyon->23 North I noticed that in some cases the car was kind of "jumping".
I don't know if softer springs would made any huge improvement in these canyons because in a boosted miata you can get very fast there and if you are not careful you can actually jump with your car (not recommended).
First of all, congrats on your new set-up! Did you get it corner-balanced and aligned also? What are your sway-bar settings?

And you could you elaborate more on the "jumping"? Did this happen on your old set-up at the same speed/route? If your steering wheel is feeling light and loosing contact at high speeds, i'm not sure softer springs would help. The culprit in that situation (i.e canyon driving, different road elevations, sharp turns,ect) sounds like you don't have enough droop in the suspension. How much did the new suspension "sag" compared to the one you replaced? Are you using your new 16inch rims and tires? Maybe the extra unsprung weight of the tire combo is attributing to the suspension feeling unsorted. I dunno, just throwing our ideas to help you out. :)
No I didn't have the chance to corner-balanced or align the car yet.
I have the stock(94) sway bars all around...
I think there was some "jumping" involved even with my old set up but I think now is a bit more bold...

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
Im interested to see how you feel about this setup after you have it for a few weeks.

I also have koni shocks and have to say that the GC coilover kit is very attractively priced, its hard not to consider it. Although I would probably opt for slightly softer springs, but Im open to suggestions. I like to be low, and its also driven daily.

Thats probably some time away for me though. I still need to experiment more with the parts already installed on my car.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hey glad to hear everything got installed. I would have helped but I was so dead tired from doing the header that every time I walked towards you to help, I realized I could barely lift my arms.

I'm gonna have to catch a ride in this car of yours one day.

·
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey what's up man!
How is everything?
No worries, most of the problem was luck of a straight technique...

·
Registered
592 Posts
Im interested to see how you feel about this setup after you have it for a few weeks.

I also have koni shocks and have to say that the GC coilover kit is very attractively priced, its hard not to consider it. Although I would probably opt for slightly softer springs, but Im open to suggestions. I like to be low, and its also driven daily.

Thats probably some time away for me though. I still need to experiment more with the parts already installed on my car.
I am a huge fan of Konis with stock springs set on R Packagee height. If you want just your car just = that much lower set the Konis on the lowest setting.

One advantage of a higher suspension is you can run lower static camber and still get high dynamic camber #s.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts